Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 02:34 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

It's become a City-Data tradition! Does this apply to you? Share, discuss, commiserate, or debate the definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 02:41 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Geographically, physically alone, not emotionally. As I'm on good terms with the people I can't be with in person there is no regret, guilt, hard feelings, or unmet expectations. We'll chat by phone and wish each other well. Then I'll take the dog for a walk on the beach, curl up on the couch with spiced tea, watch an old Bette Davis movie and enjoy it. Sorry, no sappy family tragedy Christmas tear-jerkers for me. It's all good.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-26-2019 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 04:02 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I am invited at friends homes for TG but probably will be alone on Christmas. No biggie. I have electricity, food, and a warm bed, that's all I need for Netflix and chill.

I don't have to spend $$$$ on gifts, I can avoid overcrowded stores and roads, and no one complains I got the wrong gift and I don't have to be happy about receiving an ugly gift myself. And best of all - I don't stand in the kitchen for hours to cook!! I go to my friends house on Thursday and bring beer and wine and can eat until I burst.

All these family drama stories here on CD …. don't apply to me. Totally relaxed and stress free.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am invited at friends homes for TG but probably will be alone on Christmas. No biggie. I have electricity, food, and a warm bed, that's all I need for Netflix and chill.

I don't have to spend $$$$ on gifts, I can avoid overcrowded stores and roads, and no one complains I got the wrong gift and I don't have to be happy about receiving an ugly gift myself. And best of all - I don't stand in the kitchen for hours to cook!! I go to my friends house on Thursday and bring beer and wine and can eat until I burst.

All these family drama stories here on CD …. don't apply to me. Totally relaxed and stress free.
Sounds great!

Old 11-26-2019, 07:46 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I am alone this Thanksgiving (as always) and happy for it, especially as I watch all the news footage of impending doom of the looming storms across the country. I am SOOOOO glad that I don't have to travel!

I am still cooking a turkey, however, and am making my favorite stuffing. I have a new dog, so it will be fun to have him here for the holiday. Planning some dog walks and movies and reading and eating and wine and maybe a nap. My favorite holiday.

I will not be alone for Christmas this year, however, for the first time in years. My father has decided that he's going to travel from PA to MA to see me and see my new house and town. He usually goes to my sister in Santa Fe, but decided not to this year. It's actually stressing me out quite a bit. What to do with him for days, meal plans, etc. I'm used to having my holidays alone! I don't know what to do with company for a holiday.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:41 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
My family were not the type to celebrate the holidays. I've been alone since my wife died in December of 1976. I spent forty consecutive Thanksgiving Days working a patrol car. Since I retired, I volunteer at the winter holidays to serve a hot meal to the less fortunate living on Skid Row, my last patrol assignment. It's the least I can do to brighten up someone's day.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
After getting trapped in an Airport, one Holiday season, no flights for 3 days, it cured me of any holiday travel. At 69YO, I can't deal with those shocks anymore.

I'm estranged from my family anyway, and I can be happy spending a couple hours on City Data, or other sites, and I've got my ferret to keep me company and many a DVD to watch.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I am alone this Thanksgiving (as always) and happy for it, especially as I watch all the news footage of impending doom of the looming storms across the country. I am SOOOOO glad that I don't have to travel!

I am still cooking a turkey, however, and am making my favorite stuffing. I have a new dog, so it will be fun to have him here for the holiday. Planning some dog walks and movies and reading and eating and wine and maybe a nap. My favorite holiday.

I will not be alone for Christmas this year, however, for the first time in years. My father has decided that he's going to travel from PA to MA to see me and see my new house and town. He usually goes to my sister in Santa Fe, but decided not to this year. It's actually stressing me out quite a bit. What to do with him for days, meal plans, etc. I'm used to having my holidays alone! I don't know what to do with company for a holiday.

Perhaps for Christmas you & dad could have dinner over at the local American Legion or local church. They usually BBQ on Christmas...
Have a Wonderful Holidays...

Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
My family were not the type to celebrate the holidays. I've been alone since my wife died in December of 1976. I spent forty consecutive Thanksgiving Days working a patrol car. Since I retired, I volunteer at the winter holidays to serve a hot meal to the less fortunate living on Skid Row, my last patrol assignment. It's the least I can do to brighten up someone's day.

Now that's the Spirit.
Blessings to you.
Happy Holidays.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:54 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Celebrated this previous Saturday with my kids ( adults as they like to be referred too).

As life enjoys sending me into "that wasn't in my plans", I shall pack up an overnight bag...travel to My aunts home, and sit with her in support. He husband has been home now under hospice care for a week....He has been a man of honor so I wish to honor him by being there for this perhaps final holiday for him. Oddly I give thanks for getting to know him and apppreciate all he has done to take care of my Aunt. It wont be the turkey...or any formalities. Just us....sharing the day. In this case...I simply cannot let my aunt be alone during this trying time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships