Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 PM

3,965 posts, read 2,575,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Alone. Thankfully. I have a Cornish game hen I'll throw in the crockpot with potatoes and a sweet potato. Green beans. Yum.

Last year I went to the senior center for pot luck and it was not a good time. Everyone talking about getting together with their kids and families, asking about mine. I hate explaining to people that my only son is dead.

It's just best for me to stay away from people during the holidays.
(((meo92953))) Take great care of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 07:32 PM

3,965 posts, read 2,575,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Awwee, I am sorry. This sucks. I am often the new one in the group/at such events and people are usually always friendly, asking questions, etc.

You may have just gotten one bad apple group. Meetups are usually welcoming new people. Don't give up.
Thank you. I feel like meetup groups is about meeting random people from across the city. When I look at a group, I might see a 1000+ members but then an activity for 10 or 20. Tells me you may not see the same people often. Not really for me.

But that is okay. I was so glad to be home! Alone! Better to be alone than with the wrong people. For me, that does not take away the need for fellowship with others.

I did have a nice chat with a friend with whom I have had some rough patches.

I am thankful for her. Also thankful for talks with my mom, sisters and my sister's boys, age 11 and 16! Wonderful kids!

Old 12-02-2019, 07:32 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's become a City-Data tradition! Does this apply to you? Share, discuss, commiserate, or debate the definition.
I actually would enjoy being alone on Thanksgiving, if it turned out that way. I have not been for many years, but I always loved to be able to go anywhere I wanted and know that no one is looking for me because they are all busy eating!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I actually would enjoy being alone on Thanksgiving, if it turned out that way. I have not been for many years, but I always loved to be able to go anywhere I wanted and know that no one is looking for me because they are all busy eating!
In recent years, I've become more comfortable with just staying home and watching old movies (with some special treat to eat), but the first couple, I made a point of taking a trip to our local aquarium. Every other day of the year besides Thanksgiving and Christmas -- it's open 365 -- it's densely packed with noisy kids. On these two days, there are very few visitors, and I can enjoy the peaceful serenity of an underwater world.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
In recent years, I've become more comfortable with just staying home and watching old movies (with some special treat to eat), but the first couple, I made a point of taking a trip to our local aquarium. Every other day of the year besides Thanksgiving and Christmas -- it's open 365 -- it's densely packed with noisy kids. On these two days, there are very few visitors, and I can enjoy the peaceful serenity of an underwater world.
I would be fine being alone on Thanksgiving (I'm usually not, which is also great), but not Christmas. Christmas depresses me when I'm alone. Now that both parents are gone (lost my Mother last Christmas Eve), I feel very alone anyway. Being alone on Christmas isn't something I want to experience ever again. I'm very fortunate my cousins have opened their home to me this year, and I'm sure they will in the future, especially if I don't meet a woman to marry. I just don't want to feel like a burden to anyone and would prefer to start my own traditions with someone special. This is why suicide rates go up this time of year. There's so much loneliness and isolation these days.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:13 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I would be fine being alone on Thanksgiving (I'm usually not, which is also great), but not Christmas. Christmas depresses me when I'm alone. Now that both parents are gone (lost my Mother last Christmas Eve), I feel very alone anyway. Being alone on Christmas isn't something I want to experience ever again. I'm very fortunate my cousins have opened their home to me this year, and I'm sure they will in the future, especially if I don't meet a woman to marry. I just don't want to feel like a burden to anyone and would prefer to start my own traditions with someone special. This is why suicide rates go up this time of year. There's so much loneliness and isolation these days.
Yes, because Thanksgiving could be a friend - thing also. Christmas is a family event and if you do not have family, you will probably not be invited by friends and you feel left out. It makes you think of the family you do not have/far away. I am not a fan of Christmas, even if I was invited, I would feel like the odd person out, because I am not really part of that family.

I usually travel on Christmas to get out of the funk, but my dog is too old now. I was in Death Valley once on Christmas, that was funny - it was crowded with foreigners, mostly Indians/Asians. Or I travel so I am at the airport on Christmas - I like that, not many people travel, prices are low and the ones who do travel are very happy and friendly.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Yes, because Thanksgiving could be a friend - thing also. Christmas is a family event and if you do not have family, you will probably not be invited by friends and you feel left out. It makes you think of the family you do not have/far away. I am not a fan of Christmas, even if I was invited, I would feel like the odd person out, because I am not really part of that family.

I usually travel on Christmas to get out of the funk, but my dog is too old now. I was in Death Valley once on Christmas, that was funny - it was crowded with foreigners, mostly Indians/Asians. Or I travel so I am at the airport on Christmas - I like that, not many people travel, prices are low and the ones who do travel are very happy and friendly.
Yes; being the "charity case" at someone else's family event is worse than spending the day alone. Consider your old dog your family? Buy it a special gift. I just lost an old cat (like you, another reason I don't leave town on the holidays now), and wish I could celebrate with him!

Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:

Exactly. So I'm sort of extended family as far as my cousins are concerned since I barely know them. But I've gotten to know them and visited twice since my mother passed away last Christmas. They don't exchange gifts, so that won't be awkward at least. Not like I would know what to get people I don't know well.

Quote:
Yes; being the "charity case" at someone else's family event is worse than spending the day alone. Consider your old dog your family? Buy it a special gift. I just lost an old cat (like you, another reason I don't leave town on the holidays now), and wish I could celebrate with him!
My cat is my family, and she is getting old. I doubt I leave her next Christmas, but she's in good health at the moment. I'd be really upset if something happened to her and I wasn't there. Fortunately, I have a pet sitter and will get a house sitter when I go overseas next year.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:03 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
I am sorry for your loss. I am checking in with single friends to see what they do for Christmas but I will probably be alone because they don't want to go somewhere with the car and dogfriendly place.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Geographically, physically alone, not emotionally. As I'm on good terms with the people I can't be with in person there is no regret, guilt, hard feelings, or unmet expectations. We'll chat by phone and wish each other well. Then I'll take the dog for a walk on the beach, curl up on the couch with spiced tea, watch an old Bette Davis movie and enjoy it. Sorry, no sappy family tragedy Christmas tear-jerkers for me. It's all good.
Can't rep you.

This is me except for beach. I'll be at the dog park. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships