Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 03:45 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
Don't be so sensitive. It's done all the time. Do you have no pride for your origins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 03:50 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
If you are "from" elsewhere, you are not "from" the U.S.

If someone is asking about your ethnicity - I personally don't think that is rude or a big deal. I would ask because I am interested in geography, history, customs, etc.

Are you just looking for something to be upset about?

Old 02-15-2020, 03:57 PM

494 posts, read 816,231 times
I live in NC and there are a lot of transplants here from other states so it is a pretty common topic here. "Where did you move from?" is a conversation starter.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:33 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I don't think it is rude at all. I enjoy traveling, so that is the norm. And here in the U.S. we have people from other regions and countries. See not problem with it.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:52 PM

1,159 posts, read 619,809 times
Quote:
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
You must be fun at parties geez someone takes an interest in you and curious and you take it as offended?!
When people ask about my accent and where I'm from, I say my dad's family is from Norway and my mom's family is from El Salvador..... Why would that be offensive?

Old 02-15-2020, 06:03 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
but why do people except me not to have an accent when speaking in English? English is not even an official language of USA
You do not hear the accent. Work on your written word first.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:37 PM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
I get asked that question most workdays, sometimes even several times in a single day. I was flattered by the interest, at first. Now I find it a bit offensive and really annoying. I know some people will say it's just a conversation starter, etc etc. and I guess it usually is partially true. Years spent in the USA have taught me that race and ethnicity is a big deal, and people will ask that question, even without meaning to do so, to find out your pedigree, put you inside a box, attempt to explain and predict what you do, who you are, and how they will interact with you, and just basically to figure you out. When they interact with you, they don't just deal with you, but with all your fellow country people. You stop being an individual.
When I get asked, I politely attempt to switch the conversation.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Maybe in Turkey, it might seem rude or intimidating because someone might be trying to find out if you have Greek blood or some other ethnicity that can be stigmatizing. In the US, asking about your origins is not considered rude at all. In my world, it's the second most asked question after "What do you do? (for a living). Or if you give your full name, someone might ask is that a Turkish last name? Turks are not uncommon where I live and neither are Greeks. Asking about your geographic origins is not meant to convey an offensive meaning, most of the time, in the US.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's kind of language semantics, though. When someone asks where you're from, they usually asking where were you born or where did you grow up. If you're a naturalized citizen, you wouldn't be wrong to say, "I was born in X, but I've lived in the US for # years." I've lived in the city I live in for almost 20 years, but when people ask me where I'm from, I still say, "I grew up in Hometown."
I’d go a little further and say, “I was born in x, but I’ve lived in the US for # years. I became a citizen in ####.” I think many Americans (myself included) are quite pleased when an immigrant makes the effort and commitment to become a U. S. citizen. I was so tickled when my nail guy (who is from Vietnam) told me, “Vietnam means nothing to me. I’m an American now.”

Old 02-15-2020, 07:04 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Quote:
No, it's not rude. It's showing interest in you. And in your case, from your written English, I suspect that it is obvious that you were not born in the US. So just take it as normal friendly interest, and answer accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships