Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,682 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I moved from another state a couple of years ago. My back tint passed last year at one place and is passable in my previous state. It's not really that dark as all I really want is protection from the sun and heat. However, this year, I took it to another location and it failed. I would rather not spend money to get it removed since I won't have this car much longer (getting old). Is it possible to take my car back to the old location that passed it last year? Or is this considered illegal? I really have no idea how all of this works.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM

90 posts, read 753,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn_ukfan View Post
Hi there,
I moved from another state a couple of years ago. My back tint passed last year at one place and is passable in my previous state. It's not really that dark as all I really want is protection from the sun and heat. However, this year, I took it to another location and it failed. I would rather not spend money to get it removed since I won't have this car much longer (getting old). Is it possible to take my car back to the old location that passed it last year? Or is this considered illegal? I really have no idea how all of this works.
Thank you!
The state has a limit on the tint(32% +/- 2%) and they are cracking down on people who's tint is too dark. By having your vehicle inspected at another location you risk the computer flagging it for investigation(Do the math, a re-inspection is free, who in their right mind would willingly pay an extra $23.75 unless something was going on?....) If it is investigated, there is a chance an enforcement officer could show up at your house, check the tint, discover it's too dark, fine the shop that passed it and revoke your registration.
Yes, you can take it back to the place that passed it last year if you wish, you can pay the money again, but, if they've been caught before, they'll probably fail it. You are out an extra $23.75.
I'd get it removed if I were you, and get it re-tinted if you absolutely positively have to have the tint. Why bother? Y0u already said you were getting rid of the car soon.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,485 times
I want to modify my exhaust to upgrade performance with a Remus exhaust - it will delete the second CAT - any issues passing inspection?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,924,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtconnor View Post
I want to modify my exhaust to upgrade performance with a Remus exhaust - it will delete the second CAT - any issues passing inspection?
If your CEL doesn't go on with this change, then you should pass the OBD2 test without a problem. Depends on the light.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
What I have to lose is my right to privacy and due process. If they think I have done something wrong they should go about proving it in the proper manner. Innocent until proven guilty - what happened to that?
It doesn't work like that. Driving is a privilege, not a right. It's just like an audit at the IRS, you are guilty unless you can prove otherwise.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
Not that I condone any sort of illegal behavior, but most vehicles will set the monitors to ready between 35 and 100 miles. For legalities sake, you could just add the vehicle to your policy....at least that way you would be insured.
Most insurance policies will not cover an illegal vehicle. If the tags are dead, so is the insurance.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
If they do a visual inspection of the emissions system, most likely it will fail. I had the devil of a time getting my Mustang through. It had 4 cats from the factory but all of the replacement H pipes only have 2 cats.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It doesn't work like that. Driving is a privilege, not a right. It's just like an audit at the IRS, you are guilty unless you can prove otherwise.
Call it what you want you don't lose constitutional protections depending on how the government classifies something.

But you are replying to a message that is more than 14 months old. Jumping on old threads can be a good thing but I'm not sure debating this exact point is a good idea.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:11 AM

90 posts, read 753,050 times
Quote:
Two answers: Technically if a cat is removed, it violates the inspection requirements because an emissions control device has been removed, and should fail. That being said, some late model cars have a secondary catalytic converter that is not monitored, basically it has no O2 sensor behind it. Removing this converter will not turn the check engine light on. If this is the case, you will probably pass, simply because the system will not have a code. It's a roll of the dice moment, and is dependent on who is doing the inspection.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
As far as your vehicle inspection goes, it's relatively simple. 1996 and newer gets an emissions inspection, the cost is 30 dollars, with an additional 10 dollar fee if you have aftermarket tint on the windows. The state limit for tint is 32% light transmittance, anything darker than that will fail. The emissions test is done electronically via the data connector. If the check engine light is on or not working, it will fail. The safety portion of the test includes, tires, lights, brakes(noise is grounds for wheel removal for further inspection) parking brake, horn, exhaust(must have muffler(s) and catalytic converters) suspension and steering(components must be in good working condition and not broken) lights must all be in good working condition, no broken lenses or standing water and must be the correct color, wiper blades must not be rotted or torn and working, windshield may be cracked as long as it doesn't damage the blade(if your fingernail can catch the crack it will be failed) Tires must have no bulges or damage, no exposed belts, tread depth must be 2/32 or greater.
The tampering portion of the test will check to see if all the emissions control devices are in place and *appear* to be working.
Your vehicle must be lifted into the air so the inspector can check underneath.
Well maintained vehicles will generally not have a problem with the NC state inspection, except for maybe a bulb and wipers(these are the most common fail points)
Vehicles 1995 and older are exempt from the emission test, but must pass the safety and the tamper portions of the test. The fee for this test is $13.60,
Vehicles 35 years and older are exempt from any state inspection.
This must be new. I used to take my 1997 truck in to have the OBD II insp. done on it. Not once was the vehicle ever raised in the air. In fact all I ever saw them do was check the lights, horn, brakes, charge extra for the legal window tint (joke), then plug the machine up to the ALDL port and read the ECM.

I see they're still exempting 35 yr. old vehicles from inspection. I remember when my 1971 Chevelle became exempt, but there wasn't much in terms of emissions stuff back then. In a way I didn't think they'd keep that going....because now that means people will start taking the cats and other emissions stuff off of their 1978 Camaros and such for performance reasons. Illegal, yes but if they're not getting inspected, then who's going to ever notice...unless the cops do random underbody searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina