Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM

90 posts, read 752,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
its a 2003 eclipse. the whole mirror is knocked off and actually in my trunk lol. it snapped a bunch of wires, so idk how easy it is to put back on really.
It's actually pretty easy, just remove the trim panel from the inside, unbolt, unclip the harness and re-install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:41 PM

90 posts, read 752,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironreaper15 View Post
Bumping this thread because I have a question

I live in a county that does not require emissions.

I have a car from 1987 that I have recently modified due to old engine parts..

I have taken the EGR valve off because the new modification does not require it.

Because of this the Check engine light is on, and when you read it, it says "EGR failure" blah blah blah

The car runs perfectly fine but it is the original computer so it is still looking for the EGR, and the only way to fix it is to spend $400-500 to get a new PROM burnt.

Will I still be able to pass in some way?
In a word. No. Not legally. The only way around that is if the part is no longer manufactured, which for an 87, in highly unlikely. You may find a small shop somewhere that will let it slide, but it will not pass legally. That being said, you could just bolt an old egr valve in place, hook up a couple of plugged vac lines and it will go through just fine. The rules just say that the emission controls have to be in place and appear to be working. This would not work on an OBD equipped vehicle, but on an 87, no problem. Not that I condone that type of scofflaw attitude.........:-)
The check engine light being on is a non-issue for an '87.

For some strange reason I'm not getting the new message emails, sorry for the delay.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,389 times
If I have a cracked windshield will it pass inspection?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 AM

978 posts, read 2,054,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses77 View Post
If I have a cracked windshield will it pass inspection?
I think it depends on the crack size. If it severely impairs your visibility, it probably won't pass.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
I have a 1996 jeep and was wondering if it will fail becuase I have no exhaust on it?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate 21 View Post
I have a 1996 jeep and was wondering if it will fail becuase I have no exhaust on it?
It will fail the visual. It should at the very least have a catalytic converter. A tailpipe would also have to extend out from under the vehicle. A shop once tried to fail my Mustang because it didn't have original equipment converters on it. I pointed out the fact that the car was 14 years old at the time and the original converters were no longer available. Then he let my aftermarket converters pass.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
Will my car pass inspection if the windshield is broken in the top left hand corner?
Will my car pass inspection is the airbags have deployed and new ones have not been put in yet?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 10,227 times
According to the NC reg regarding tint....
Windows may not be any darker than 35% visible light transmission.

This to me, means the window only needs to transmit 35% of light reaching its surface. This does not mean you can only apply a film which reduces the light BY 35%....... Thoughts???
Unless my reading comprehension is whacked out, which it could be, the phrasing indicates that that you could place a film that reduces visible light by no more than 65% leaving a light transmission value of 35%.
But it seems that currently, tint is sold that REDUCES visible light transmitted BY 35%. Meaning that you are still allowing 65% in.....

Don't even get me started on lumens vs. temperature!!!!!

Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
You can buy all kinds of tints that reduce virtually 100% if you like. They're like milkshakes. They come in all sorts of flavors. The inspection station is looking for a minimum of 35% of light passing through the tint. Anything above that is legal.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,876 times
Default Refusal

Can an inspection station refuse to inspect a car? One that he has inspected 5 years in a row and has passed every time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina