Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,315 times

Advertisements

rfburns
Thanks for the answer. Much appreciated.
Keeper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 10:08 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Thanks for all the help. The answer is $250 waiver yearly or fix the cat. Other than the cat problem which does not affect the performance of the vehicle the car runs great. 186000 miles I put around 2k into the vehicle the last couple of years. Might just go for the waiver one time and see if I get lucky with the wonky light next time around.
Try SeaFoam. Some people swear by it, some people swear at it... But it works for some..

Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 PM

17 posts, read 22,698 times
The whole idea of emissions inspection is bunk anyway. Its just another way for the state to suck money out of people. Bad cars aren't the reasons for accidents on I-40. Its people not knowing how to drive.

Somebody somewhere in NC is getting a lot of money for this inspection crap and that's all it is, crap. Probably lobbied some legislator to help pass it through because NC didn't use to require emission inspection. Do yourself a favor. if you can, move out of NC to a more resident friendly place. NC is one of the most backward states in the union.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,546 times
How can I tell when the car that I just bought was last inspected? There is nothing on the car and I know that it has to be inspected before it can get a plate. Is there any online files?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM

36 posts, read 49,147 times
i have a 2005 vw passat wagon. the engine light has been on forever. it would come on and go off. i had it checked at different places, but no one could ever pin point what it was. the ABS light still comes on as well.

i live in fl, had been driving my registered NC car in fl in 2015 and 2016. it passed for 2015 just fine but this year, i drove home to get it inspected. the engine/abs lights were still on. i went to jiffy lube and the inspector came out to tell me it would automatically fail since the engine light was on(i had no idea! :x since it passed last year with the light on or it happened to be when the light was NOT on, go figure) so then my mom took it to the VW dealership and they said something about the tension and the timing belt would be about $3,000 but apparently the timing belt is something that doesn't necessarily so that leaves about $1,300 that can get the engine light OFF.

now the car is parked in my mom's drive way and she doesn't want to risk getting caught driving it lol so i have to find some time to fly home from FL to NC to take care of it but IDK what to do. she said something about an extension on the tags. i already know that i have to pay extra for paying the fees late and i don't want to keep pay insurance on a car that can't be driven. what are my next steps!?

Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,507 times
Question that I keep getting different answers on, do I have to obtain the inspection in the county my car is registered in? I work in another county and it would be so easy to go on lunch break, etc if this is an option.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny30534 View Post
Question that I keep getting different answers on, do I have to obtain the inspection in the county my car is registered in? I work in another county and it would be so easy to go on lunch break, etc if this is an option.
You can get inspections, tags or drivers license in any North Carolina county. Make sure to bring in a valid registration card. The tech will pull up the information on their computer if the vehicle is registered in one of the 48 counties that require OBD emission test.
The information will be sent to the state computers

OBD tests is $30 and inspection is $13.60

Old 09-02-2016, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,988 times
Will a car pass inspection if the abs light and air bag light is on?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,412 times
So if my windows will not roll up on my 2016 f150 I can still pass inspection?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
I see there is a lot of misinformation out there. Tell you what, ask me a question about it, and I'll try to give you a true answer.
Yes, I'm a certified NC inspector, been doing them for about 20 years.
So if my windows will not roll up on my 2016 f150 I will pass inspection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina