Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:28 PM

90 posts, read 752,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Did you get banned and start a new account?

NCDOT: Vehicle Emissions & Safety Inspection
Nope, but life has a habit of getting in the way, and, for some reason, I no longer get email alerts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 03:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeezie View Post
are there any surrounding counties to Mecklenburg that do NOT do vehicle inspection i have a 97 chevy pickup with no muffler my cats are still there though and do not have access to the oem muffler if not is there any after market that i could use that would keep the dual pipe the only other issue i have is my distributor throws a code of miss fire please give me some insight
ALL vehicles in NC are subject to the annual safety inspection. I'd say that lack of a muffler and tailpipes would probably get failed 99% of the time. If you live in an emissions compliance county, then you will need to get any codes cleared up before it will pass that test. They hook a computer directly to the OBD 2 port on your truck and read your vehicle computer directly. Not all codes will set the Check Engine light. My wife's car had 2 codes stored and the CE light never came on.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
ALL vehicles in NC are subject to the annual safety inspection. I'd say that lack of a muffler and tailpipes would probably get failed 99% of the time. If you live in an emissions compliance county, then you will need to get any codes cleared up before it will pass that test. They hook a computer directly to the OBD 2 port on your truck and read your vehicle computer directly. Not all codes will set the Check Engine light. My wife's car had 2 codes stored and the CE light never came on.
Flowmaster makes a double outlet muffler that will retain your stock tailpipes, so do other companies, this would be your best option. Clarification on tailpipes: The tailpipes on any vehicle have to extend beyond the passenger compartment, on a truck, that would technically mean they could dump out under the bed of the vehicle. That being said, I did a restoration on an old Ford/Nissan truck (The P'up?) On that vehicle, the tailpipe, from the factory, went over the axle and terminated. The customer brought it back to me because the inspection place he went to failed it(I built him an extension that just slipped on so he would pass) So, while the rule is on the books in black and white, it's apparently open for interpretation. YMMV.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,330 times
I have a car that recently failed an inspection due to 'unsafe tire thread' on one of the tires.

I was told by the dealership where this inspection occurred that, under NC law, I had to return to the original inspection site once the problem was fixed.

Is this true? Seems like a lie to me and I can find no info online that says such a thing.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan inspection confusion View Post
I have a car that recently failed an inspection due to 'unsafe tire thread' on one of the tires.

I was told by the dealership where this inspection occurred that, under NC law, I had to return to the original inspection site once the problem was fixed.

Is this true? Seems like a lie to me and I can find no info online that says such a thing.
I think what they meant is that if you return there, having corrected the issue, they will complete the inspection at no additional cost. If you go somewhere else, you will have to pay the inspection fee again.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
Will tires with metal spikes for traction pass inspection?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 AM

If you are referring to studded snow tires, yes. Studded snow tires are legal for use in NC.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
I am out of state with the vehicle, a diesel, so I do not need the emissions test, but the safety test is required. I will not be back in NC in time to get the safety test and then send in the renewal. Can I get a safety test outside of NC so that I may renew the registration?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Fiddle View Post
I am out of state with the vehicle, a diesel, so I do not need the emissions test, but the safety test is required. I will not be back in NC in time to get the safety test and then send in the renewal. Can I get a safety test outside of NC so that I may renew the registration?
Email your question to the NC DMV:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/contactus/Pos...px?Unit=DMV_VR

Or call them at (919) 715-7000.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Yup, you will need to contact ncdmv. The rules are sort of vague. Nc will accept an out of state inspection in lieu of a NC inspection, but only if you are far enough away that physically taking the vehicle to a nc station in almost impossible. However, they don't state how far away you need to be to qualify. I believe when the vehicle eventually returns to the state, you will need to get it reinspected again. That was my understanding the last time I spoke with them about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina