Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 04:09 PM

978 posts, read 2,055,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane_hunt View Post
I have a 1994 honda accord, could I get my windows tinted darker than 35%?
I live in a state that doesn't require tint inspections. I thought I would like having dark tint, but I really hated it. I had 10% all over and it was way too dark and difficult to see at night. 20% is my favorite, but 35% is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 AM

90 posts, read 753,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Yes. It will fail the emissions visual inspection. I can't tell you how to get around this because it would break state and federal law, but what they don't see, they don't fail.
Sorry for the really late answer on this, life has thrown me some serious curve balls over the past few months. It won't matter to you now, but may to others, so I'll answer it.

A 95 or older car will be inspected as a non OBD vehicle, the check engine light status is a non issue on these vehicles, because they are safety only inspected. Now, if they are missing components, that is cause for a fail.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyorgan View Post
Old thread but thought I'd give this a try. Moved to NC in the past year from a misfortunate state that fortunately did not require a vehicle safety and emissions inspection. I drive a 13 year old Jeep that I should not put over a grand in to for a CAT converter to meet emissions standards-- but sadly this seems to be my lot. I have read about a waiver that can be granted if over 200 bucks of repairs are put in to a car to meet emissions standards and 2 independent inspections are obtained. Can anyone speak to this or does anyone have kind words of wisdom for me?

What kind of jeep, 8n cyl or 6 Cyl? For a 6 cyl, you can put a cat on for about 200 bucks.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
Sorry for the really late answer on this, life has thrown me some serious curve balls over the past few months. It won't matter to you now, but may to others, so I'll answer it.

A 95 or older car will be inspected as a non OBD vehicle, the check engine light status is a non issue on these vehicles, because they are safety only inspected. Now, if they are missing components, that is cause for a fail.
You are correct.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Can it pass missing the passengers side mirror?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Can it pass missing the passengers side mirror?
Ah....the slippery slope question. Technically, yes, because NC does not require a passenger side mirror, as long as the drivers side and rearview are functional. (I believe I made another post about this before) That being said, if the mirror housing is there, but the glass is broken, or part of the mount is still there, most inspectors will err on the side of caution and fail it. Now, what kind of vehicle is it? I have seen lots of mirrors being sold for very reasonable prices on ebay.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmerdude1127 View Post
Have a question regarding headlights...

I'm thinking of going with a quad HID projector retrofit (haven't ordered the parts yet, wanted to check here first), which would mean I'd have 4 lights running at the same time on "low beam" as well as the ability to turn on the fog lights. The HIDs will be properly aimed and adjusted. So technically this would be 6 lights on at the same time when I have it set to "low beam." Is this illegal and is it checked for on the NC inspection?

I found this. Technically one set of lights could be headlamps while the other set are "spot lamps" and the fog lights are "auxiliary driving lamps." Thoughts?

§ 20-130. Additional permissible light on vehicle.
(a) Spot Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the center of the highway nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. No spot lamps shall be used on the rear of any vehicle.
(b) Auxiliary Driving Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in G.S. 20-131, subsection (c).
I'm not sure I'd mess with adding HIDs to a car in NC at this point with this kicking around the legislature (it hasn't been passed yet):

http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/Bills...PDF/S493v2.pdf

Short Title: Prohibit Aftermarket HID Headlights

Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
Ah....the slippery slope question. Technically, yes, because NC does not require a passenger side mirror, as long as the drivers side and rearview are functional. (I believe I made another post about this before) That being said, if the mirror housing is there, but the glass is broken, or part of the mount is still there, most inspectors will err on the side of caution and fail it. Now, what kind of vehicle is it? I have seen lots of mirrors being sold for very reasonable prices on ebay.
its a 2003 eclipse. the whole mirror is knocked off and actually in my trunk lol. it snapped a bunch of wires, so idk how easy it is to put back on really.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,308 times
Bumping this thread because I have a question

I live in a county that does not require emissions.

I have a car from 1987 that I have recently modified due to old engine parts..

I have taken the EGR valve off because the new modification does not require it.

Because of this the Check engine light is on, and when you read it, it says "EGR failure" blah blah blah

The car runs perfectly fine but it is the original computer so it is still looking for the EGR, and the only way to fix it is to spend $400-500 to get a new PROM burnt.

Will I still be able to pass in some way?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,106,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironreaper15 View Post
Bumping this thread because I have a question

I live in a county that does not require emissions.

I have a car from 1987 that I have recently modified due to old engine parts..

I have taken the EGR valve off because the new modification does not require it.

Because of this the Check engine light is on, and when you read it, it says "EGR failure" blah blah blah

The car runs perfectly fine but it is the original computer so it is still looking for the EGR, and the only way to fix it is to spend $400-500 to get a new PROM burnt.

Will I still be able to pass in some way?
Take the bulb out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina