Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 AM

115 posts, read 233,110 times

Advertisements

Well, we can all agree that a major difference in opinion here is whether protecting the definition of marriage between a man and a woman affects the institution of marriage itself. What needs to also be addressed more, is how this affects the younger generation. I've heard it several times, and it seems logical that children from broken homes are more likely to be in broken homes. And numerous studies have shown that children in two parent (man + woman) families are better off than any other permutations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
How?

How does the amendment protect children or strengthen marriage?

How does same-sex marriage weaken the institution of marriage?
Those brain washed folks who meet every Sunday are just doing what they are told. You can't fault people who don't have a mind of their own.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Nonexistant before 1960's? Yeah right.....they were simply IGNORED until then. Society taught spouses (especially wives) to "look the other way" when their partners were unfaithful or otherwise toxicly destructive to the relationship and to stick by them no matter what. Domestic violence was largely swept under the rug and very rarely reported. And even when it was, laws and legal action against it were very weak.
I think you misinterpreted what I meant here. But to address what you brought up, the last I heard domestic violence was no better than years ago, and probably worse. In fact, women outside of marriage are more likely to be abused than women in marriage. I would have to look it up to be sure.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM

164 posts, read 357,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
...our society now has social ills that were almost nonexistant before the 1960's. .
For instance?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Those brain washed folks who meet every Sunday are just doing what they are told. You can't fault people who don't have a mind of their own.
PDD, that is a bigoted statement right there. Christianity teaches you to reflect on how you treat others. TV is the modern opiate of the masses. How many children brainlessly mimick what they see and hear on MTV. If you don't choose to believe in Christianity, that is your choice. But to insinuate that Christians are brainwashed shows that you know very little about Christianity.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
For instance?
Gangs, drug abuse, sexual addictions were far rarer years ago than now. They did exist, but at much much lower levels. And human trafficking has come back. Supposedly slavery is dead in the US? Not so among prostitues, often shipped around or kidnapped nowadays.

Going back on topic, these things are all related, even if it might not appear so obvious. When you redefine marriage to include temporary marriage, same sex unions, or any other non nuclear family unit, it lowers the importance of it in the minds of all, but most drastically affects its perception among children who are more vulnerable to new ideas.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM

How ironic, I was checking one of several news sites I look at, and saw this article posted today
Lack of babies could mean the extinction of the Japanese people | Fox News

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Well, we can all agree that a major difference in opinion here is whether protecting the definition of marriage between a man and a woman affects the institution of marriage itself. What needs to also be addressed more, is how this affects the younger generation. I've heard it several times, and it seems logical that children from broken homes are more likely to be in broken homes. And numerous studies have shown that children in two parent (man + woman) families are better off than any other permutations.
How is a same sex marriage a "broken home"?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Gangs, drug abuse, sexual addictions were far rarer years ago than now. They did exist, but at much much lower levels. And human trafficking has come back. Supposedly slavery is dead in the US? Not so among prostitues, often shipped around or kidnapped nowadays.

Going back on topic, these things are all related, even if it might not appear so obvious. When you redefine marriage to include temporary marriage, same sex unions, or any other non nuclear family unit, it lowers the importance of it in the minds of all, but most drastically affects its perception among children who are more vulnerable to new ideas.
So the adults who warned my generation of all of these things as being current, in the mid 50s, were really psychics who were confused about what time they were in. Cool.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,876 times
Quote:
I would like to extend my gratitude to the people of North Carolina for preserving the unique institution of marriage. Without marriage, our society will crumble. Children from broken families are statistically more likely to:
* be raised in poverty
* drop out of high school
* have trouble with the law

The primary purpose of Amendment 1 is to protect children by strengthening marriage. Redefining marriage to mean anything other than a man and a woman weakens the very institution of marriage. Marriage should not be regarded as an arbitrary condition, neither by homosexuals nor by heterosexuals. Arguments that distract from the main issue are attempts to ignore the importance of children in our society.

I am not surprised by the vicious slander hurled against supporters of this amendment, and specifically against Southerners and Christians. I do hope people responding to this topic refrain from launching diatribe, instead thoughtfully responding to points raised in rational discussion. Remember, this is not a religion vs. atheist position. It is a pro child position.

And I say to supporters on my own side.... Please refrain from smugness, even when it is hurled at you. People respond better to kindness. I have friends who I lived with years ago (before I knew their inclinations) caught up on the unhappy side of this issue. I still communicate with them, despite the fact they know my position and I know they consider themselves married now, despite the fact they aren't.
And this post isn't smug? The mods took down the original post about Amendment One, so you decided you had start a new one to "express your gratitude"? More like fanning the flames.

Quote:
When promiscuity become accepted, the divorce rate eventually rose to around 50% from under 10%. How often I hear people who say that if they knew then what they know now about marriage, they would still be married. It is the attitude about marriage that has weakened people's resolve to get married and stay married.
I haven't looked it up, but I'd imagine the rise in the divorce rate probably coincides more closely with the time frame of more women going to college, and wanting to work outside the home. Guess we better pass an amendment to ban that!

Quote:
In fact I have friends that I lived with at one time, before I knew their inclination, that moved to California "to get married".
yes, you've mentioned your friends a couple times already in this thread, I've noticed...and both times you had to paraphrase it that you lived together "before I knew their inclination". Being gay isn't an "inclination." Its not as if your friend just woke up one day and said "Gosh, I'd love to try this whole gay thing out!" as if he was just trying seafood for the first time. I think this is where the major disagreement comes in for those for/against amendment one. I know (from talking to friends and family members about it) that people are born gay. It isn't their choice. Yes, they can choose to live in the closet, but that is about the only choice in the matter that they have. I just have to think that those who were FOR the amendment believe that being gay is a choice that someone can just turn off and go back to "normal" if they wanted to...otherwise, I just don't see how someone could treat another human being that way.

Quote:
Isn't that being consistent though? It's not targeting homosexuals, but predominantly heterosexuals. I know too many people in their 30s and 40s who are disappointed about not being married, most especially the ones living with a "partner" of the opposite sex. To hear how one of them talks about his girlfriend makes me naseous, because it shows an utter lack of respect for her as a human being. Marriage forces you to try harder.
I'm sorry, but marriage does not make people try harder. If anything, it makes people complacent which is why the divorce rate is so high in this country. Married people stop talking to each other and stop being nice to each other. They start to take their spouse for granted and expect their spouse to put up with their bad behavior because they're married. Marriage is hard. Very hard. Allowing same-sex couples to get married isn't going to change how a heterosexual couple handles their own marriage.

Last edited by fly_widget; 05-11-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina