Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Duke and Carolina tomorrow live on ESPN! But you still have the bobcats
The most successful basketball player ever for Carolina owns the Bobcats. He also owns a nice condo in Charlotte's downtown.

Michael Jordan buys Uptown luxury condo | WCNC.com Charlotte

^^^My point here is that the entire state benefits from the Duke/Carolina culture in the Triangle, so why knock Charlotte for adding a pro-sports culture to that mix? For what it's worth, the Bobcats will become the Charlotte Hornets after this season. In my opinion, those who grew up with the Hornets moniker will connect better with this much improved NBA team.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Duke and Carolina tomorrow live on ESPN! But you still have the bobcats
The professional players on the Bobcats have salaries higher than the student salaries that play for either Duke or Carolina. This is not a dig against those schoools but trying to compare college teams to professional teams is an apple and oranges comparison. Not to mention I would love to hear how the Hurricanes are doing. Professional teams add a certain economic boost to regions and in some cases even if they are not successful they can still have a financial boost. For example, the Time Warner Cable Arena is host to several venues and even hosted the DNC 2012. While I appreciate your criticism and concern for the future of professional basketball here in Charlotte it is a bit misguided.

But. The Bobcats real problem is instability in direction in the front office. However, with Cho it has been changing.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 PM

401 posts, read 657,085 times
Well,
Raleigh and Charlotte were almost neck and neck. I had to choose Charlotte, however.
Charlotte is very economical, as it is one of the leading finacial city's. Charlotte has a very nice skyline with many skyscrapers to come, same with Raleigh. Raleigh on the other hand, has a higher popularity then Charlotte. When i saw popularity i mean if you were to go up to someone far away, out of North Carolina and ask them what is the largest city in North Carolina then they would probably say Raleigh, since it is the capital, which is not the case. Charlotte however, it is the largest city and named "King of the South" and already has a financial district. Both of those cities are known for having the best education system for it's population.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
When i saw popularity i mean if you were to go up to someone far away, out of North Carolina and ask them what is the largest city in North Carolina then they would probably say Raleigh, since it is the capital, which is not the case. Charlotte however, it is the largest city and named "King of the South" and already has a financial district.
Charlotte is unquestionably more recognized nationally than Raleigh.

Charlotte is also named the Queen of the South.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Charlotte boosters will never admit the truth. They can't admit that Raleigh(triangle) is more know nationally. It's not ok to live in your own world wake up! Ranked as one of the top places to live,work,start a business in the country by almost every major publication in the country. And many smaller ones also. Home of the world famous RTP! Who soon will expand and create 100,000 new jobs. Even I think that's blowing a little smoke but we will see. I'll take 50,000 but anyway. Not to mention it is the capital. That's name recognition by it self.
As far as MJ. he was a GREAT player.As a owner not so hot. The team is an embarrassment to NC. I hope they can put the old Hornets magic back together. But for now they suck. The only reason I bring up the bobcats is all the Charlotte boosters love to throw up the fact that Charlotte has PRO sports. But when you bring up the fact that they suck then that's out of bounds. We only have the Canes. Who have a World Championship by the way. My point is to all the Charlotte boosters Raleigh(triangle) can hold it's own just fine. And the next time you get ready to look down your nose at Raleigh you may need to wake up and stop drinking your own cool-aid

Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times
Quote:
Charlotte boosters will never admit the truth. They can't admit that Raleigh(triangle) is more know nationally. It's not ok to live in your own world wake up! Ranked as one of the top places to live,work,start a business in the country by almost every major publication in the country. And many smaller ones also. Home of the world famous RTP! Who soon will expand and create 100,000 new jobs. Even I think that's blowing a little smoke but we will see. I'll take 50,000 but anyway. Not to mention it is the capital. That's name recognition by it self.
As far as MJ. he was a GREAT player.As a owner not so hot. The team is an embarrassment to NC. I hope they can put the old Hornets magic back together. But for now they suck. The only reason I bring up the bobcats is all the Charlotte boosters love to throw up the fact that Charlotte has PRO sports. But when you bring up the fact that they suck then that's out of bounds. We only have the Canes. Who have a World Championship by the way. My point is to all the Charlotte boosters Raleigh(triangle) can hold it's own just fine. And the next time you get ready to look down your nose at Raleigh you may need to wake up and stop drinking your own cool-aid
You spend an awful lot of time worrying about what people in Charlotte think

Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Not really! It's just funny to see the comebacks you get. There's always an excuse why Charlotte is better. Just looking forward to hear a booster comeback.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Quote:
Not really! It's just funny to see the comebacks you get. There's always an excuse why Charlotte is better. Just looking forward to hear a booster comeback.

Just leave Charlotte alone. I've went through all these pages and im starting to think why are two of North Carolina's largest city's even competing if they even are because i talk to a lot of people who say nothing but good things for both metros. Who cares like really who gives a d@mn. Raleigh is nice and i like going there because i like getting away from the city. Yes Charlotte is a city for some people who think otherwise. Raleigh does not want to be like Charlotte and vice versa. When i moved here a year and a half ago i was expecting Charlotte to be like other down south city. Stuck in the times, backwards as hell, and people looking at me funny for wearing skinny jeans sometimes, but woah i took all what i said back the minute i got here. Yes im from Los Angles but my New home is Charlotte Nc. A lot of people say Charlotte has no real identify and its trying to copy other major city's. Sorry Atlanta you can have your crappy traffic because we here in Charlotte do not want that or be anything like that, Sorry NYC we don't want your high cost of living etc.... Now let me school you on what Charlotte does, it learns from all these major city's downfalls and makes it work for better for so we dont have those same pains. Charlotte is growing very fast so yes who wouldn't know who they are. We are building new stuff everyday, new buildings being added to the skyline, construction on all are major freeways.....etc. So yes Charlotte is a new city in the south whatever we are doing here works because people are moving here like packs of hyenas. Hell ill give Raleigh its due credit because they are finally getting on track also.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Quote:
Raleigh more known nationally than Charlotte? Yet it is someone else who needs to stop drinking the kool-aid? Pot meet kettle.

Raleigh is a nice town but let's not get ahead of ourselves here with such foolish statements.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Raleigh more known nationally than Charlotte? Yet it is someone else who needs to stop drinking the kool-aid? Pot meet kettle.

Raleigh is a nice town but let's not get ahead of ourselves here with such foolish statements.
I suppose you called Charlotte a town when it was over 400,000 people? I suppose Mecklenburg County had nearly a million people when Charlotte was but a "town"? Oh please. This is the typical "look down your nose", condescending "compli-sult" that's used on Raleigh all the time. Will Raleigh always be a town because it didn't gobble up nearly 300 square miles of land to inflate its population and stature? Don't worry Charlotte boosters, Raleigh will never be the same physical size and you can continue to pretend it's insignificant and WAY smaller than Charlotte forever. We'll also make sure not to build any 60 story towers downtown so that it continues to feed that perception. We'll just stay busy connecting the street level scene and human scale of our growing urban core in our "town".

Sheesh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.