Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2006, 06:51 AM

293 posts, read 959,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
We went through 13 open houses, cleaning and leaving for 3 or 4 hours, our Sundays were no fun. I liked when we would come back and 1 person would come by. We stopped doing them as they wern't producing anything. The 2 people that were interested came by with their realtor on their own. Make sure all your jewelery and any important papers etc are safely tucked away. Good luck!
13 open houses? I heard open houses are a waste. But maybe it will draw more realtors so they will know the house & show their clients. How long has your house been on the market? Our's has been on just over 2 wks. & only 4 people came so far. Very discouraging. It's out of our hands now & only time will tell!
Good luck to you too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 07:35 AM

889 posts, read 3,118,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Oh guess again. If they know that you are not home, they may get the curiosity bug in them. I'm not saying that they definitely will, I'm just saying don't be surprised if they do. When I had mine, my agent told me that several neighbors came over. If you don't, then you're lucky. Then that would mean that my block has more nosy neighbors than yours. LOL
I just chuckled about that. On our first open house, we were flooded with alot of people.Most were nosey neighbors who wanted to 'see" what the house ended up looking like after all the work over the course of 5 years was done.
One woman told my realestate agent to ask me about my paint colors and where she could buy them!!!
On future open houses, she still had an occassional neighbor come through!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:51 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04
13 open houses? I heard open houses are a waste. But maybe it will draw more realtors so they will know the house & show their clients. How long has your house been on the market? Our's has been on just over 2 wks. & only 4 people came so far. Very discouraging. It's out of our hands now & only time will tell!
Good luck to you too!!!
Since Feb, 5 1/2 months. A couple were suppose to come by today between 10-12 for a 2nd look. So last night I shined the kitchen up and this AM shinned up the bathrooms. Hubby vacuumed and swept outside. Looks great, came home and no realtor card! So they either have not made it over yet or are not coming by. My hubby and I both agreed that when we start looking to buy (in NC) if we can't make it we will make sure the realtor calls. It's just plain rude!

Old 07-15-2006, 03:12 PM

293 posts, read 959,233 times
Quote:
Since Feb, 5 1/2 months. A couple were suppose to come by today between 10-12 for a 2nd look. So last night I shined the kitchen up and this AM shinned up the bathrooms. Hubby vacuumed and swept outside. Looks great, came home and no realtor card! So they either have not made it over yet or are not coming by. My hubby and I both agreed that when we start looking to buy (in NC) if we can't make it we will make sure the realtor calls. It's just plain rude!
Well we just made it through our first open house & a wopping 2 people showed up! Now we just lowered the price so hopefully we'll get more action. Don't you hate that,you spend so much time cleaning & people pull these "no shows"! I can't believe the realtor didn't at least call you. That is very rude!
What part of NC are you looking into? At least you are doing it in the right order. We put our house up for sale after we went into contract on the NC house.(but we couldn't resist this huge house for the price). I hope we don't lose it! Wish us luck....We'll do the same for you....

Oh, by the way nascarnancy.. we're big into nascar.. My husband goes to Pocono, Dover & Daytona(& hopefully Charlotte soon!!). Jr.fans..well my son likes Tony Stewart.

Last edited by slvrcts04; 07-15-2006 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-15-2006, 04:09 PM

164 posts, read 353,360 times
Default no shows

Quote:

We must be leading parallel lives! A realtor called last night saying she wanted to show our house this morning at 9:30. We cleaned like crazy until midnight, and then up at 6:00 to clean again. Money spent on fresh cut flowers, fruit bowls in kitchen etc. etc. With 4 kids making a mess, a good sized house, and this slow market, we really get invested in these showings and clean for hours. Well, it looks like the realtor came by, but alone and for just a minute to preview the competition since she just listed a similar home around the corner! Why couldn't she just tell me that she wanted to "preview" our home for a "potential client?" I would have straightened up the house, but wouldn't have killed myself about it! Rude, rude, rude!

A few months ago, we were supposed to have a showing at 4:30 on Sunday and, after spending the entire weekend preparing, the realtor called and cancelled at 4:20 as we were leaving. The only thing that brings me any joy is that these out-of-town buyers didn't want to look at our area because they had become convinced that another area was better. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it was one of those things where 90 out of a 100 people would disagree. It gives me satisfaction that they were just wrong and will discover the error of their ways after escrow closes. Of course, it also makes me afraid. Will that be me when I move to NC, confidently declaring that a certain area is "the best" while all the locals snicker??

Connie

Old 07-15-2006, 06:10 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,381 times
Hi, my house was on the market since late March and then in the end of May, we fired the realtor for no communication and no showing. We hired a new agents (husband/wife team) from ReMax and boy, it made a big difference - great communicators and more showings.

Then the market had "soften" in our area (Florida) because the hurricane and property taxes had skyrocketed high. My realtor knew that my house had to be sold before August because that's when our NC new home will be ready (and money due!), so he came up with a suggestion: seller assist buyer with closing cost. So we agreed that I only pay $2,000 closing cost.

And guess what? Two days after my new ads saying about the closing cost, boom! I got a buyer. She want to close on mid-August, which is perfect for us. Maybe you might want to talk to your realtor and consider about you assisting buyer with a small closing cost. It can be anywhere from $800 to $3000. It will make a quick sale.

Just thought I share this option with you.....

Oh, another thing, my realtor gave me a great website to review my home showing feedback. It's homefeedback.com Your realtor had to register it for you and everytime when there's a showing, your realtor email to the other agents for the home feedback, the email will automatically send it to you for your review. It's cool!

Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Well we just made it through our first open house & a wopping 2 people showed up! Now we just lowered the price so hopefully we'll get more action. Don't you hate that,you spend so much time cleaning & people pull these "no shows"! I can't believe the realtor didn't at least call you. That is very rude!
What part of NC are you looking into? At least you are doing it in the right order. We put our house up for sale after we went into contract on the NC house.(but we couldn't resist this huge house for the price). I hope we don't lose it! Wish us luck....We'll do the same for you....

Oh, by the way nascarnancy.. we're big into nascar.. My husband goes to Pocono, Dover & Daytona(& hopefully Charlotte soon!!). Jr.fans..well my son likes Tony Stewart.
Yeah, our 5 month contract was up June 30 so resigned for 2 months and lowered the price, again. That's actually the 3rd time this realtor (same couple) did this.

We are looking in Union County, Weddington/Waxhaw area. My bro & sis in law live in the Charlotte/Mathews area so we want to stay with in 30 miles of them. We will be purchasing a min of an acre as we are going to build a garage outbuilding for our clasic cars and hubby's work shop. Where are you looking at?

Glad to see I have Nascar friends out there! We went to The Rock before they closed it down and to the Cocoa Cola 600. That's great as they have Speed Street in downtown Charlotte. They close Main Street and have food, bands, drivers signing etc. Last time we were out we went to through most of the shops. If you hit Lowe's speedway first, pop into the gift shop and they have a map with all the shops listed. We like Dale Jr and Stewart, my fav is Jeff Gordon. My niece works for Wood Bros (Ken Schrader is there driver), how could you not love Ken! You should see his Bud car on display at Hendricks shop, from a Talladega crash I believe. Ok, I best stop now.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
We must be leading parallel lives! A realtor called last night saying she wanted to show our house this morning at 9:30. We cleaned like crazy until midnight, and then up at 6:00 to clean again. Money spent on fresh cut flowers, fruit bowls in kitchen etc. etc. With 4 kids making a mess, a good sized house, and this slow market, we really get invested in these showings and clean for hours. Well, it looks like the realtor came by, but alone and for just a minute to preview the competition since she just listed a similar home around the corner! Why couldn't she just tell me that she wanted to "preview" our home for a "potential client?" I would have straightened up the house, but wouldn't have killed myself about it! Rude, rude, rude!

A few months ago, we were supposed to have a showing at 4:30 on Sunday and, after spending the entire weekend preparing, the realtor called and cancelled at 4:20 as we were leaving. The only thing that brings me any joy is that these out-of-town buyers didn't want to look at our area because they had become convinced that another area was better. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it was one of those things where 90 out of a 100 people would disagree. It gives me satisfaction that they were just wrong and will discover the error of their ways after escrow closes. Of course, it also makes me afraid. Will that be me when I move to NC, confidently declaring that a certain area is "the best" while all the locals snicker??

Connie
I completely understand. I almost went and bought flowers too! I stopped that a while back, although every once in a while I get a $4 bunch to fit in a small vase as you come in. It is very frustrating and maddening. Well I best get going, got to go to a BBQ and hubby's calling. Oh yeah a BBQ and its 101 outside!

Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,080 times
Quote:
We went through 13 open houses, cleaning and leaving for 3 or 4 hours, our Sundays were no fun. I liked when we would come back and 1 person would come by. We stopped doing them as they wern't producing anything. The 2 people that were interested came by with their realtor on their own. Make sure all your jewelery and any important papers etc are safely tucked away. Good luck!
Went thru the same thing. As much as I do clean my house, I was overly meticulous with keeping it clean for the open houses. And for what??? I got a ton of people at my first 2 open houses, then you would get the one or two afterwards. I too was getting fed up with it. But when an offer comes thru and is accepted and you no longer have to show your house, a huge weight will lift right off. I sold mine and I can't tell you how 'less stressful' it has been since then. Wish you and others best of luck with selling your homes.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,080 times
Quote:
Good luck to you too!!!
The regular open houses won't draw more realtors. However, a Broker Open House will. My agent had 2 broker open houses and all the agents do is come to your home, look thru the house and go on their merry way. It's generally done during the week and when you are not home, but this type of open house is really good because it gives agents the 'picture' of what your house is like so that when they have a client interested in a home similar to yours, the agent will probably say....."I have the perfect house for you..." OR "I know you would like this house that I just saw and just came on the market". I was trying to be funny and serious at the same time. This helps the agent to focus on the homes that a buyer would be interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina