Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,473,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
Well my husband and I are very different types of buyers, we are in construction so we look past all the cosmetic to the bones of a house and then there is location and lot, which I have you cant change your location but you can change your house.My husband is a residential contractor has been for 20 years, we know all the secrets buyers dont and you couldnt pay me to live in one built buy today tract builders, theres only two maybe three builders I would actually buy from. I guess thats our problem we know to much.

What type of contractor is he? My husband has worked in AZ for almost 20 years too. What builders has he done work for? My husband has worked with tract, semi custom and custom homes. I bet my husband knows your husband. My husband has been a Project Manager, Superintendant and a QA Inspector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I am looking a homes in NC and I must put my two cents in here. I looked at new houses with a big sign out front $120,000. The houses looked nice and had a even had a garage. After talking with the sales rep that same $120k house soon jumped to $150,000. This was a about a 1300sf home. These houses had been plunked down on a what looked to be a farm with no trees in sight. The house looked great but when I really looked it over I found quality flaws. Also the carpet didn't look like it would last a year. I also looked a older houses and I found that most were of good construction quality and the materials, in most cases, superior to the new home. The one thing that impressed me most was the landscaping. The older homes had mature landscaping that can't be bought. If I bought a new home I would be dead before the landscaping even approached that of an older home. Every time I look at a new housing development I was reminded of Burl Ives and the song...little boxes, made of ticky-tacky...
It is all a matter of opinion but I for one will opt for an older house with the beautiful trees.
luke

They all use cheap carpet you have to upgrade it. Some will give you a better starter pad than others, unless you buy a more upgraded home that comes with better carpet. That will cost you more money. Starter home is a starter home and they get more expensive by series.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:14 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Hello, we dont live in AZ yet. He wont do tract building anymore, sticks with custom, maybe semi-custom. who does he work for there? He is there now interviewing. was a manager in Oregon after we got out of our own business,then PM for a DC custom home builder, he does remodels here in NC but wants back to west.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hello, we dont live in AZ yet. He wont do tract building anymore, sticks with custom, maybe semi-custom. who does he work for there? He is there now interviewing. was a manager in Oregon after we got out of our own business,then PM for a DC custom home builder, he does remodels here in NC but wants back to west.

He works for Engle Homes as a Quality Assusance Manager.
Construction has hit the skids here. A lot of layoffs going on. If you want custom go to Lithicum Construction. Tell him to try and get in with them they are a great company. My husband used to work for them.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:09 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,178 times
Quote:
Well my husband and I are very different types of buyers, we are in construction so we look past all the cosmetic to the bones of a house and then there is location and lot, which I have you cant change your location but you can change your house.My husband is a residential contractor has been for 20 years, we know all the secrets buyers dont and you couldnt pay me to live in one built buy today tract builders, theres only two maybe three builders I would actually buy from. I guess thats our problem we know to much.
Just out of curiosity, but which 2 or 3 builders would you recommend or just mention based on your post?

Old 07-23-2006, 08:20 PM

We havent been in NC very long and really havent gotten to know many builders here, your best bet is to look at some of the smaller local builders that are not out of NC, go to the local Home Builders association ( you can look up on line)

Old 07-23-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
He works for Engle Homes as a Quality Assusance Manager.
Construction has hit the skids here. A lot of layoffs going on. If you want custom go to Lithicum Construction. Tell him to try and get in with them they are a great company. My husband used to work for them.
He has heard of them, hasnt done any buisness with them though, he has had lots of interviews these last days, he had a call from DR. Horton but turned them down, he wants semi to full custom. So far mostly builders in Scottsdale!! go figure

Old 07-23-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
He has heard of them, hasnt done any buisness with them though, he has had lots of interviews these last days, he had a call from DR. Horton but turned them down, he wants semi to full custom. So far mostly builders in Scottsdale!! go figure
Lithicum is in Scottsdale.

He must has a great resume to have some many interviews when all the builders here are downsizing.

How did Dr. Horton get his name if he didn't apply?

Old 07-23-2006, 10:48 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Lithicum is in Scottsdale.

He must has a great resume to have some many interviews when all the builders here are downsizing.

How did Dr. Horton get his name if he didn't apply?
Work less better pay? Maybe I am misreading, but people want to pick and choose to get that great job. But $0 income is still $0 income if you ask me. Custom homes are usually done by small contractors. At least in my area. I would rather have a steady paycheck than say, "honey I made $10k this month!" but I have no work for the rest of the 11 months. That's $11k a yr. Instead of "Honey, I made $4k a month and I have steady work until next year" That's $48k a year!

I have been self employed since I was 19. Right out of high school. Had a few. Average is 4 yrs. I see guys time and time again "I will not work unless I make $350 a day". Really? Did you work this week? Yep! once! That's $350 a week. Good job

Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Work less better pay? Maybe I am misreading, but people want to pick and choose to get that great job. But $0 income is still $0 income if you ask me. Custom homes are usually done by small contractors. At least in my area. I would rather have a steady paycheck than say, "honey I made $10k this month!" but I have no work for the rest of the 11 months. That's $11k a yr. Instead of "Honey, I made $4k a month and I have steady work until next year" That's $48k a year!
It's the same here in Arizona. Small companies. They probably use that composite wood from Home Depot too. (My words hubby is sleeping)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina