Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2006, 04:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Since Feb, 5 1/2 months. A couple were suppose to come by today between 10-12 for a 2nd look. So last night I shined the kitchen up and this AM shinned up the bathrooms. Hubby vacuumed and swept outside. Looks great, came home and no realtor card! So they either have not made it over yet or are not coming by. My hubby and I both agreed that when we start looking to buy (in NC) if we can't make it we will make sure the realtor calls. It's just plain rude!
Here's something rude that I went thru when I was selling my house. My agent's office called me to tell me that an agent from another real estate company wanted to show his client the house and wanted to schedule it in the middle of the afternoon. I told her that I was at work and couldn't leave in the middle of the day and asked if they can come by in the evening, but they said no. So I arranged it between 4:30 and 5:30. So I had to leave work early, pick my daughter up from school, head home and do any last minute touch-ups. My agent's office called me at 4:15 to tell me that they were running late and wouldn't be by until 5:30 or so, which is when I had originally requested it and they claimed they couldn't make it. Then at 4:45pm my agent's office called to tell me that they cancelled the appt. So you can just imagine how mad I was so I told my agent that I was no longer accepting any private showings from this realtor. That was the first one. Then, the second one was nervy of these people, although I'm not sure which one pissed me off more (I think it was this second one). My agent's office called to schedule a private showing in the early afternoon. I had recognized the agent's name from the time she came to one of my broker open houses (by the way, this agent told my agent that she put her in a very difficult position because she priced our house right but this other agent had a seller that was putting her house on the market but was going to price it much higher than mine). Anyway, I agreed to do the private showing so I went home at lunch and got ready. I peeked out the window and saw a car parked in front of my house so I assumed it was the potential buyer. Funny thing is that she looked familiar as did her vehicle. So anyway, I wait and her agent drives up and both get out of the car. The potential buyer still looked very familiar to me. So anyway I was outside while they spent about 10-15 min in my house. Then they came out and started chatting outside while I got my things and headed back to work. I couldn't get over the fact that the potential buyer looked very famiiar and that's when I suspected something! I was almost sure that the potential buyer was actually the seller of the home not too far from me. So I wanted to be sure so after work I drove past the other house....and wouldn't you know it??? The same vehicle that was in her driveway was the same one that came to my house. Now I was getting really mad because I wasted my time for nothing. So I called my agent and told him the situation. I told him that I didn't mind if sellers come to my house during one of my open houses, but to schedule a private showing was flat out disrespectful, inconsiderate and extremely rude. And if they were to show up at my house again, I was going to throw them out. Well, needless to say, my agent told me that they probably did that because the agent wanted to show her client the competition and then try to convince her to come down in her list price (and BTW, this is the seller that was pricing her house high and her agent told mine that we were hurting her in terms of her client's house for sale).

Well, needless to say, I had the last laugh. We sold our house and this other seller dropped her list price by more than 20k and it's still on the market with an open house scheduled this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
We must be leading parallel lives! A realtor called last night saying she wanted to show our house this morning at 9:30. We cleaned like crazy until midnight, and then up at 6:00 to clean again. Money spent on fresh cut flowers, fruit bowls in kitchen etc. etc. With 4 kids making a mess, a good sized house, and this slow market, we really get invested in these showings and clean for hours. Well, it looks like the realtor came by, but alone and for just a minute to preview the competition since she just listed a similar home around the corner! Why couldn't she just tell me that she wanted to "preview" our home for a "potential client?" I would have straightened up the house, but wouldn't have killed myself about it! Rude, rude, rude!

A few months ago, we were supposed to have a showing at 4:30 on Sunday and, after spending the entire weekend preparing, the realtor called and cancelled at 4:20 as we were leaving. The only thing that brings me any joy is that these out-of-town buyers didn't want to look at our area because they had become convinced that another area was better. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it was one of those things where 90 out of a 100 people would disagree. It gives me satisfaction that they were just wrong and will discover the error of their ways after escrow closes. Of course, it also makes me afraid. Will that be me when I move to NC, confidently declaring that a certain area is "the best" while all the locals snicker??

Connie
Guess we've all had or will have our share in dealing with inconsiderate people when it comes to selling your home. Word of advice.....don't go bonkers in cleaning your home, put away all your valueables and little sentimental trinkets (store them in your trunk of the car if it's going to be sitting in the driveway, or in your garage nestled in the corner somewhere), AND don't spend any money on flowers, etc. because it won't get you much, especially if your house has been on the market for a while. After a few open houses, it will generally dwindle down on the number of people that show up. And if the agent (a good one) thinks that there's too much clutter or if the bed is not made (you'd be surprised how many people don't do this), the agent will find a hiding spot for the clutter and will make the beds.

So as much as it can be stressful, the end result will be rewarding. Good luck to everyone selling their home.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,831,271 times
Well I do have a funny story. I was on the phone chatting with my best friend (2 hours ) and the call waiting clicked and I pushed the wrong button and missed the call. So about 1/2 hour or so after I was off the phone I spied a realtor with a client pulling a flier from our sign. I asked if they would like to come in and they said yes. The one day I had stuff in the hallway packing a box. He said I tried to call and no one answered, oops, mystery solved of who the caller was. After they left I look and on the kithcen table is my pink piece of paper that says "mamogram" across the top and a picture of hand drawn boobs on it! I was laughing so hard.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Well I do have a funny story. I was on the phone chatting with my best friend (2 hours ) and the call waiting clicked and I pushed the wrong button and missed the call. So about 1/2 hour or so after I was off the phone I spied a realtor with a client pulling a flier from our sign. I asked if they would like to come in and they said yes. The one day I had stuff in the hallway packing a box. He said I tried to call and no one answered, oops, mystery solved of who the caller was. After they left I look and on the kithcen table is my pink piece of paper that says "mamogram" across the top and a picture of hand drawn boobs on it! I was laughing so hard.
LOL. That was pretty funny that I got a chuckle out of it. One time I was running late in the morning to get to work and I mistakenly left my dirty clothes on the floor in our bedroom. Well, I had a realtor that was interested in seeing my home so I met her at my house. Unfortunately I didn't know I had left those clothes on the floor until she had left. It was pretty embarrassing and then I thought 'oh well'. Guess you can't always be on top of things when trying to sell your home.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:15 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Just curious, and very FRUSTRATED! Our house has been for sale for a little while now, and no bites. We are selling it FSBO, and I'm not sure it's working. No offense to realtors, but they are hounding us, and coming out of the woodwork! They want to add their commission to our asking price, so we'll still get what we want. I've had 6 realtors call me in 2 days! I don't know, I'm leary of this, this is the 1st house we've sold, so this is all new to us. Have any of you out there actually sold by owner? Sorry, just needed to vent, schools going to start before you know it, and then I don't know what we'll do if we don't sell soon. They start 3 wks earlier out there! It's getting hard thinking about NC right now, it seems so out of reach!
I am in NC Apex actually trying to sell my house, FSBO nothing, now agent a little more action but still waiting, I have a great 2400 sq.ft home with screen porch with .89 treed acrea and everyone coming through are high brow snobs!! That want new. starting to make me mad!!!!

Old 07-23-2006, 01:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
I am in NC Apex actually trying to sell my house, FSBO nothing, now agent a little more action but still waiting, I have a great 2400 sq.ft home with screen porch with .89 treed acrea and everyone coming through are high brow snobs!! That want new. starting to make me mad!!!!
It has to be hard selling in NC right now with all the new houses "CP Morgan" selling houses for $180k and sellers wanting close to that when a buyer could just get new. Good luck to you.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Thanks, it is hard, people only want new even if it is cheap, they seem to have no vision, I have a beautiful setting but it was built in 1984 and needs new cabinets, but we love it and the area just wish people could see all the positives.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks, it is hard, people only want new even if it is cheap, they seem to have no vision, I have a beautiful setting but it was built in 1984 and needs new cabinets, but we love it and the area just wish people could see all the positives.
As interest goes up, the less people have in their pocket to fix things the way they want. Then their is energy costs which are higher in a older home. We had a 1982 house, then we bought this 2005 house. What a difference on utility costs! Not to mention the house is cooler, in summer and warmer in the winter. These are things a buyer looks at. Not as much as you see it as a warm home. Understand?

Old 07-23-2006, 01:37 PM

My house has two new trane heat pumps and since my home is surrounded by trees it is atleast 15 degrees cooler, I also have a wood burning fireplace, my cooling bills at most are 120 a month during the summer, new roof ,new double hung windows, new duct work, new siding, four beds, three full baths

Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
My house has two new trane heat pumps and since my home is surrounded by trees it is atleast 15 degrees cooler, I also have a wood burning fireplace, my cooling bills at most are 120 a month during the summer, new roof ,new double hung windows, new duct work, new siding, four beds, three full baths
Just being honest. If I would compare it to my house (not sure the standards there) Mine is that plus, My house was built in 2x6 not 2x4 thus more insulation, tile every where. Building codes are more advanced than back in 1982, I could go on, but maybe this gives you an idea of what buyers see from their view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina