Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2006, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,360 times

Advertisements

I am looking a homes in NC and I must put my two cents in here. I looked at new houses with a big sign out front $120,000. The houses looked nice and had a even had a garage. After talking with the sales rep that same $120k house soon jumped to $150,000. This was a about a 1300sf home. These houses had been plunked down on a what looked to be a farm with no trees in sight. The house looked great but when I really looked it over I found quality flaws. Also the carpet didn't look like it would last a year. I also looked a older houses and I found that most were of good construction quality and the materials, in most cases, superior to the new home. The one thing that impressed me most was the landscaping. The older homes had mature landscaping that can't be bought. If I bought a new home I would be dead before the landscaping even approached that of an older home. Every time I look at a new housing development I was reminded of Burl Ives and the song...little boxes, made of ticky-tacky...
It is all a matter of opinion but I for one will opt for an older house with the beautiful trees.
luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 01:59 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Well my husband and I are very different types of buyers, we are in construction so we look past all the cosmetic to the bones of a house and then there is location and lot, which I have you cant change your location but you can change your house.My husband is a residential contractor has been for 20 years, we know all the secrets buyers dont and you couldnt pay me to live in one built buy today tract builders, theres only two maybe three builders I would actually buy from. I guess thats our problem we know to much.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I am looking a homes in NC and I must put my two cents in here. I looked at new houses with a big sign out front $120,000. The houses looked nice and had a even had a garage. After talking with the sales rep that same $120k house soon jumped to $150,000. This was a about a 1300sf home. These houses had been plunked down on a what looked to be a farm with no trees in sight. The house looked great but when I really looked it over I found quality flaws. Also the carpet didn't look like it would last a year. I also looked a older houses and I found that most were of good construction quality and the materials, in most cases, superior to the new home. The one thing that impressed me most was the landscaping. The older homes had mature landscaping that can't be bought. If I bought a new home I would be dead before the landscaping even approached that of an older home. Every time I look at a new housing development I was reminded of Burl Ives and the song...little boxes, made of ticky-tacky...
It is all a matter of opinion but I for one will opt for an older house with the beautiful trees.
luke
Not sure where you found one for $130k that's a good deal! But, at that price range, that is the quality you will find. My parents have bought many new houses price range always above $300k and ours was $250k and the carpet is never the greatest UNLESS you upgrade. Quality, is another story. I have have looked at many builders and have always found poor quality. But, then again my standards are higher than them I guess

Old 07-23-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
Well my husband and I are very different types of buyers, we are in construction so we look past all the cosmetic to the bones of a house and then there is location and lot, which I have you cant change your location but you can change your house.My husband is a residential contractor has been for 20 years, we know all the secrets buyers dont and you couldnt pay me to live in one built buy today tract builders, theres only two maybe three builders I would actually buy from. I guess thats our problem we know to much.
Are you going to build your own house? Curious, were you the orignal owner? Also, why are you moving then?

Old 07-23-2006, 02:40 PM

No four kids really dont have the time to build our own, we are relocating to AZ for my husbands new job, he is getting out of self employment and going to be a projct manager, nope not the original owners third I think.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
No four kids really dont have the time to build our own, we are relocating to AZ for my husbands new job, he is getting out of self employment and going to be a projct manager, nope not the original owners third I think.
Our three kids didn't stop us from building ours Cool, more money for husband. Getting a new house?

Old 07-23-2006, 03:20 PM

Yes we are buying a new one, It can be hard when your hubby is in the business, he knows what to look at and for, and he wont even go into a centex or dr horton home, it can be a very long and drawn out process

Old 07-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Who would you buy from?

Old 07-23-2006, 03:47 PM

We try to stay away from National builders, we go for the home town small builders, but K. Hovorian is ok

Old 07-23-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
We try to stay away from National builders, we go for the home town small builders, but K. Hovorian is ok
Send me link please.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina