Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
My husband is a police officer and I have the utmost respect for him. He has put his own life on the line for the last 20 years in order to provide for his family. I wish I had the courage that this man has. The job itself is difficult enough and when the anti-police people come forth and start criticizing how this job is done, it is very hard for me to sit back and not comment. In certain situations, unfortunately there is no time to second guess anything. When the police officer's life is in danger, or any innocent person for that matter, it is the responsibility of the police officer to enforce the law. If someone is charging at you with a knife, there is no time to start making phone calls for tasers, let's be realistic. My heart goes out to all police officers who have chosen this work as their profession and, unfortunately, have to reap the negativity that comes with trying to make a positive impact in society.
Where did I say that the cops should have MADE A PHONE CALL?????

Oh ya, I didn't. I asked (1) why didnt' they use a taser and when I found they didn't have them I asked (2) why didn't they have them or rubber bullets?

I most certainly do not expect a cop to make a PHONE CALL during a standoff. How ridiculous to state that I do.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 AM

366 posts, read 1,036,996 times
Mag,

Did I say "you" made that comment? I don't think I did.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,603 times
The problem is that less-lethal weapons have their own issues, and while they
can be a good tool, they cannot be used effectively or safely in every situation.

Also, since a taser basically 'locks up' muscles in the body, it is extremely likely
that she would have retained the knife rather than drop it, and possibly would
have fallen onto it and could have fatally wounded herself anyway.

This is why tasers can not be used on people who are in dangerous surroundings.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
Mag,

Did I say "you" made that comment? I don't think I did.

Then who did say it? And why did you bring it up? I am the only one who asked about tasers on this thread so forgive me for assuming you were referencing my posts on said thread about the topic.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
The problem is that less-lethal weapons have their own issues, and while they
can be a good tool, they cannot be used effectively or safely in every situation.

Also, since a taser basically 'locks up' muscles in the body, it is extremely likely
that she would have retained the knife rather than drop it, and possibly would
have fallen onto it and could have fatally wounded herself anyway.

This is why tasers can not be used on people who are in dangerous surroundings.

Then rubber bullets would have been a better answer.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's an unfair thing to say. I would never say that about you. You have your opinion and I have mine. I would never say that talking to a wall is better than talking to you.

What a rude thing to say.
Well forgive me for being rude, but facts are facts. You are just not getting it, even after other posters who have been less rude than I have about going into details about bullet proof, vests, tasers etc. The police have a very hard job to do. Are there bad ones out there, absoultely, just like any profession. But, quarterbacking a police officer(s) who made a split second decision about life and death is not fair. Did you ever stop to think that the officer involved feels really bad and will have to live with that the rest of their lives?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Well forgive me for being rude, but facts are facts. You are just not getting it, even after other posters who have been less rude than I have about going into details about bullet proof, vests, tasers etc. The police have a very hard job to do. Are there bad ones out there, absoultely, just like any profession. But, quarterbacking a police officer(s) who made a split second decision about life and death is not fair. Did you ever stop to think that the officer involved feels really bad and will have to live with that the rest of their lives?

Yes, I realize that. I have also said that other communities in our nation use the techniques I am speaking about, so I'm not talking out of my ass. I realize that cops feel badly about things like this, so that is even MORE reason to find less lethal ways of dealing with this sort of thing.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,603 times
I move to lock the thread, it's like talking to a brick.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:54 AM

709 posts, read 1,767,984 times
Quote:
The point is that among all the cities in all the states in all the countries of the world, it's safe to say that Scranton shouldn't be on anyone's top 10 places to live.
Washington DC shouldn't be on anyone's top 10 places to live either because they have some of the worst public schools in the country as well as one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country. DC is not exactly heaven on earth.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then rubber bullets would have been a better answer.
Please, if someone has a knife coming at me..........Don't let me only have
rubber bullets. Good gosh! A bat might work better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania