Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,240 times

Advertisements

I think I just peed a little from laughing at that... (your post prior to that one, mostly, but the last one a little bit, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I think I just peed a little from laughing at that...
Spoken like someone with no answer.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,456,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
So our laws are to have not even a hint of anything resembling Judeo-Christian beliefs? I guess we should get rid of laws against murder and robbery? Remember "thou shalt not steal" and "thou shalt not kill."

Well, I guess the government already breaks the laws against stealing on a daily basis...
Religion is in bed with politics in this country big time!! It's more of a "business" relationship than a "religious" one though...

Brings to mind the black-tie political dinners during the Presidential campaign...who's seated right next to McCain??? A Catholic bishop or cardinal. What is a religious leader doing at a political dinner??

Funny though...I didn't see any rabbis or imams seated anywhere at all.....

Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,240 times
Quote:
Spoken like someone with no answer.
"Nature's God" and "Creator" means that we're a religious state? Not seeing it, sorry. I guess the red stripes in our flag means we're communist then, too? And the white means we're surrendering?

I guess I was figuring you'd have more of a basis for "throughout" than two (one and a half, really) examples right in the beginning of one document, and none in another is all...

Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post

Brings to mind the black-tie political dinners during the Presidential campaign...who's seated right next to McCain??? A Catholic bishop or cardinal. What is a religious leader doing at a political dinner??
Members of the clergy aren't allowed at political dinners? Are they not allowed to support a particular politician just like everyone else, just because of their job?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM

79 posts, read 150,242 times
Quote:
So our laws are to have not even a hint of anything resembling Judeo-Christian beliefs? I guess we should get rid of laws against murder and robbery? Remember "thou shalt not steal" and "thou shalt not kill."
Our Constitution owes a debt to the entire history of jurisprudence- from Hammurabi (18th Century BC) to the Enlightenment (18th Century AD). However, the Constitution is primarily a product of the Enlightenment, which was a move away from theocracy. This, of course, is embodied in our First Amendment.

That said, as a staunch, weekly-churchgoing Catholic, I would hope a pluralistic society where not everyone is a Christian can all come to the conclusion that there are non-religious grounds for criminalizing theft and murder.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Members of the clergy aren't allowed at political dinners? Are they not allowed to support a particular politician just like everyone else, just because of their job?
You know as well as I do that the "higher ups" in the church don't "support" a certain politician unless that politician "supports" their church. I believe Jesus called them "Pharisees"...those who put money ahead of Him...and that's EXACTLY what the church & politicians are doing.

You know the old saying..."money talks & **** walks"....

Oh, & btw....those "do not steal", "do not murder" commandments that you quoted about laws "upholding them"?? Those tenets are in EVERY faith on the planet from Buddhism to Islam (not including the radicals) to Shinto to Hindu. The values of the 10 commandments are universal, not simply Christian.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin' Scrannin' View Post
Our Constitution owes a debt to the entire history of jurisprudence- from Hammurabi

I personally wish we'd bring back some of Hammurabi's Code. There's been some stories in the news this week where the offenders could use a little "eye for an eye" justice.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
You know as well as I do that the "higher ups" in the church don't "support" a certain politician unless that politician "supports" their church.

Not necessarily. Catholic leaders may have supported McCain, and McCain is not Catholic. The support would come from McCain being more supportive of Catholic beliefs. I doubt that McCain, a Baptist, was sending donations to the Catholic church.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Gotta shut the computer off....major thunderboomer starting...

Have a good day boys & girls!! It's been fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania