Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I mentioned taking the "magic carpet" to NJ to get bagels this made me think hmmm I wonder

How far would you drive/travel for a favorite anything ?
(this could be food, a Doctor,tax guy etc) .......i was driving 70 miles one way to go to my favorite sporting goods store but now it's closed

Bonus Question:

What was the last thing that "annoyed you" ? ...my sister in-laws grand son yelling my name every 2 minutes for 12 hours.

Do you have a favorite expression you use that pretty much lets folks know you are "annoyed" ? ....no i just smile and bear it.

Extra Credit Question:

List 3 of your favorite things to do outside when the weather is really nice.
camping, I love to camp out
fishing, I love to fish
motorcycle riding, I love the motorcycles

Just for Fun:

What song makes you want to get up and dance when you hear it played? .....Any slow song, I like to slow dance, thats about it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Today's Question(s):
How far would you drive/travel for a favorite anything ? Oh, about 1,200 miles...to be with my favorite husband if he takes this job in OK

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that "annoyed you" ? Erm, see above re: favorite husband

Do you have a favorite expression you use that pretty much lets folks know you are "annoyed" ? yep, my feelings show on my face

Extra Credit Question:

List 3 of your favorite things to do outside when the weather is really nice. take a long walk with my favorite husband - you know, the one who annoyed me earlier
get an ice cream cone
do a few cartwheels on a lush lawn

Just for Fun:

What song makes you want to get up and dance when you hear it played? don't hate on me - you DID ask...lots, but one that always gets me is Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & the Waves

Today in History:
1967 - Aretha Franklin releases "Respect" - let all sing r.e.s.p.e.c.t. sing it baby!

Today is:
Sense of Smell Day True - my mother in law has a friend who lost her sense of smell! She can't taste much because of it. Also, her husband can sneak a beer now and then cause she can't smell it LOL
National Zipper Day Thanks -mine's up

Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Do you have a favorite expression you use that pretty much lets folks know you are "annoyed" ?

My recent favorite is "Don't **** in my cheerios" I have also know to wiggle one of my fingers (no not that one) and say "see this? it is my last nerve and you are working it" !!!

It take a lot to get me to either point

Wow so many great songs listed I had quite the tri[ down memory lane and was ready to drag out the turntable and 45's

omg I can not believe my word got the ****
pisss is not a bad word

I used the phrase the other night and our friend who had never heard it before almost fell out of his chair laughing

oo just a heads up
I have to leave here tomorrow morning at 6:40 to drop the "kids" off for grooming at 7
My back is acting up(bad bad baby gate) so I took some back medicine which kind of knocks me out so if I don't get up early enough the question may be a bit late till I get home

Old 04-29-2009, 10:19 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,561 times
Quote:

pisss is not a bad word

Maybe if you spell it like us Mainers you might be safe.... and if they block it out.. that would be a pissah

Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 PM

285 posts, read 616,407 times

For a lot of y'all the day is over but I gotta share! It is after 9 pm Alaska time and what a great wonderful awesome grand day this has been! Got up early this morning and went out "armed" to the teeth...with shovels and buckets and went to meet low tide. For the first time, we went clam digging (?). Or clamming (?). You would not believe how big some of them were...as big as both my fists. Learned how to shuck and clean them...not a lot different from oysters, at least in the shucking aspect. And the TASTE...OMG...Sunny, light breeze (that was much appreciated since digging for clams is a little bit like work!) and temp about 64. Made me wonder what the rich folk were doing....I know I had a better day!

Today's Question(s):

Yesterday I mentioned taking the "magic carpet" to NJ to get bagels this made me think hmmm I wonder

How far would you drive/travel for a favorite anything ?
(this could be food, a Doctor,tax guy etc)
There's a little town called Fayetteville, TX. We used to make the round trip on our motorcycles on Sat or Sun for the lunch specials at Orshak's Cafe. Tiny little place sitting on the town square right across from an old wooden bandstand. It was about 300 miles total but the trip and food were always worth it. What the "special" was didn't matter, it was always good. And the had the best fried pickles and homemade sweets!

Bonus Question:

What was the last thing that "annoyed you" ?

The abysymal stupidity of the local news(?) reporter on the idiot box.

Do you have a favorite expression you use that pretty much lets folks know you are "annoyed" ?

If that doesn't grab you by the throat and eat your cheeks...

Extra Credit Question:

List 3 of your favorite things to do outside when the weather is really nice.
Beach comb. Walk/hike. Just sit in the sun and daydream....

Just for Fun:

What song makes you want to get up and dance when you hear it played?
No News by Lone Star

Today in History:

1813 - A patent for rubber was given to J.F. Hummel of Philadelphia, PA.
Russian vessel Neva sinks off Kruzoh Island, losing 28 hands, 14 rescued.
1852 - 1st edition of Peter Roget's Thesaurus published
American whalers were active in the Arctic long before the transfer of Alaska to the United States. As early as 1846 several hundred ships pursued the whale for its oil and baleen. In 1852 the value of the catch was set at $14 million. By the time of the transfer, the number of whales was so reduced that only a few dozen ships were off Alaska's coast.
1879 - Electric arc lights were used for the first time -- in Cleveland, OH.
St. Rose of Lima, the oldest Catholic church in Alaska, established in Wrangell, AK
1961 - ABC's "Wide World of Sports, debuts (and "Sports Widows" were also debuted!)
Native rights and subsistence are "hot topics." Many acts of protest and meetings around the state.
1967 - Aretha Franklin releases "Respect" - let all sing r.e.s.p.e.c.t.
The possibility of a compromise regarding Native land claims arose during the October 1967 meeting of the Alaska Federation of Natives. The state and the Natives agreed to make an attempt to work together on a mutually acceptable bill to present to Congress. Hearings on the two land claims bills already before Congress are scheduled to be held throughout Alaska during the winter of 1967-68. Discussion during these hearings may further clear the way to agreement and compromise.

Word of the Day:
bumptious \BUMP-shuhs\, adjective:
Crudely, presumptuously, or loudly self-assertive.
I prefer to be called pugnacious, thank you.

Today is:
National Shrimp Scampi Day CLAM DAY
World Tai Chi & Qigong Day see above
Sense of Smell Day see above
Rebuilding Day see above
National Zipper Day see above

Nighty night.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Wow so many great songs listed I had quite the tri[ down memory lane and was ready to drag out the turntable and 45's

pisss is not a bad word

I used the phrase the other night and our friend who had never heard it before almost fell out of his chair laughing

oo just a heads up
I have to leave here tomorrow morning at 6:40 to drop the "kids" off for grooming at 7
My back is acting up(bad bad baby gate) so I took some back medicine which kind of knocks me out so if I don't get up early enough the question may be a bit late till I get home
In the history of language there was a form of snobbery and colonialism....After the roman conquest or England...the anglo saxon words for body functions got labeled as swears and the Roman (latin) words were considered more refined.....so "urinate" is ok, but the anglo saxon "pisss" is not nice; similarly with most other body function words......the word lof the Roman conquerors "excrement" is scientific but the Anglo Saxon word is now considered a swear.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
pisss is not a bad word

That's one sensitive censor - good thing I didn't try using my favorite bad word
Hey, you should have asked us what throws us into the depths of despair instead of what annoys us. Late questions <heavy sigh> Hope your back is feeling better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
Maybe if you spell it like us Mainers you might be safe.... and if they block it out.. that would be a pissah
Ooooo perfect ammo! Thanks GG - if necessary I can always drive my FH crazy by talking with an accent all day. Today's might be Maine

Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ooooo perfect ammo! Thanks GG - if necessary I can always drive my FH crazy by talking with an accent all day. Today's might be Maine

Ayeh, hope ya do, toosie, ...be a wicked good pissah, ayeh......pipah

Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Ok..where's the 1st restaurant? I love trying new places! East side or west side? We've found lots of neat places since we've had the bike.
I don't think it's there any more. I made a point of going there every year on my birthday, but that habit died many years ago and the only reason I can think of is that it isn't there any more. Sounds like the kind of thing my selective memory would dispose of. I just remember what a wonderful place it was while it existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics