Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Personally, I do not think the OP should be surprised about, or even dismayed about, her daughter.

But what surprises me, reading this thread,....
Quote:
Does no one believe in waiting for marriage any more?
I don't know about no one, but I never believed in waiting for marriage.

Quote:
Are traditional values completely out the window?
No, not for everybody. But traditional values are meaningful to some people and not others, obviously.

Quote:
Are women waiting so long to get married now that no one thinks twice about it?
Yes, some. There's no way I was going to wait until I was 41. But being married or not has never had any impact on my decision to have sex.

Quote:
To act like, well, everyone at 19 is doing it so it's no big deal....
A lot of 19 year olds are, not all. But really, to some, it isn't a big deal. As long as there is respect and self worth, then it's up to the individual.

Quote:
IDK, it makes me worry for my kids as they get older.
What is it you're worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Coming into a life-long commitment with no sexual baggage is really an extraordinary gift to yourself and your partner. That said, I don't think it's a moral issue.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

When you look at it that way, having a monogamous relationship for 2.5 years, and being 19 years old, and being sexually active with that one partner all that time, isn't really a big deal at all.
Please go back and read my first sentence.

This is not about the OP's situation.

It is about morality in general, and the attitude as expressed in 30 some posts that it is no big deal.

It is about the attitude that it is perfectly acceptable for teenagers to be having sex (did she start at 17? Is that still OK?) but it is not acceptable to be married at that age.

I am not saying we should go back to Just Julia's grandmother's days and getting married at 18 and popping out babies.

But there is nothing wrong with encouraing teenage girls to wait, to wait, to wait.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What is it you're worried about?
I don't want my daughter to be having sex when she's 19.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Who says it's not okay to marry young? I did.

What if she was engaged to be married?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't think traditional values are completely out the window, but young people are waiting to get married, yes. The average age of a woman to get married now is something like 27, while the average age of a woman losing her virginity is something like 16. I understand the OP's shock, and I will probably go through it too one of these years (hopefully later than sooner ), other posters are right. It's pretty normal and natural, and thank goodness she is protecting herself and being with one long-term boyfriend. 50 years ago they'd be married and doing the same thing, but probably without the birth control. This girl wants to go to med school and wait to have children. It's not the path that most women used to take.

The average age that kids lose their virginity hasn't budged in a long time, but they are waiting to marry and have children. Given that people who marry young have a higher rate of divorce, I think that is OK. But one of the consequences of waiting to marry is that most of them aren't going to wait to have sex. Social values are evolving. We can't go back to the way it was, and even if we could I'm not sure we would want to. All my grandmothers were married by 17 or 18 and had babies shortly thereafter, and none of them went to college.
I agree with this. People are waiting to marry and have children. I do not see the problem with someone at the age of 18 losing their virginity and continuing to have healthy sexual relationships before marriage.

What I do have a problem with is when they are in middle school and in high school having sex before they can even understand the concept of meaningful sexual relationships, protected sex, the economics of having a child and in general lustful hormones and teen angst doesnot equal love from boyfriend/girlfriend.

The women that I know who waited till marriage to lose their virginity and have sex are now divorced. Sex did play a role in why they are divorced. So I am all for having sex before marriage.

As for morality, my moral views when it comes to sex is respect yourself first, respect others and wait to have children when you are older in a meaningful longterm relationship and/or married.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Everyone is sexually active these days, it's 2011 not 1808.
True. In 1808, she'd have been married for a couple years already and pregnant with her second kid.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
The women that I know who waited till marriage to lose their virginity and have sex are now divorced. Sex did play a role in why they are divorced. So I am all for having sex before marriage.
Can I play my "not me" card here? Still going strong and having plenty of good sex after 22 years.

BTW, I have no problem with a 19-year-old having a sexual relationship.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
True. In 1808, she'd have been married for a couple years already and pregnant with her second kid.
LOL! I thought the same thing.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
ok, but what is she getting out of it. she is giving her youth and beauty non refundable. french girls have a very different take on this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting