Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Maybe in your world, but not mine. Discipline is adherence to or principled with regards to a set of rules and conduct.
It can be so much more than that, so much more encompassing. When the child has self control, they need less adherence. They can make judgments for themselves. (And for the record, I think adherence to rules is fundamentally contrary to moral judgement and thoughtful character.) It includes learning trouble shooting skill, interpersonal skill, communication skill.

Quote:
If you use punishment to obtain discipline- that's your choice, but don't assume everyone thinks that way- and that is the entire point of this giant cluster of a misunderstanding.
This I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No. Just no. That those two words have become synonymous in some minds I will forever fight against. It obfuscates the bigger picture of what good, investment, positive discipline can be that teaches so much more than Don't Do That.
You read the same thing into that post that I did, however somehow the poster thought I couldn't understand the true essence of her post.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Look here captain oxford dictionary...
I wasn't saying that WAS my definition. I was explaining how people here were using it and how most people in general are using the word.

Hell, discipline...punishment don't exist in my dictionary....
Maybe punishment but in a whole different context.
I could care less.

You're welcome for my clarification.

HIGH FASHION
(if you get this you get a cookie)
Hmmm, I've been thinking that maybe you're a very youthful person b/c of your name on here--txtqueen. And then I reasoned that perhaps the connotation of the word is changing with this new generation, so I plugged the word into urbandictionary.com and came up with this:
Quote:
DISCIPLINE: The administration of training which results in the participant(s) becoming more physically, mentally, and/or spiritually adept.
I mean, old as I am, that's what I always understood the word to mean. Yes, discipline=training. Always has.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Hmmm, I've been thinking that maybe you're a very youthful person b/c of your name on here--txtqueen. And then I reasoned that perhaps the connotation of the word is changing with this new generation, so I plugged the word into urbandictionary.com and came up with this:

I mean, old as I am, that's what I always understood the word to mean. Yes, discipline=training. Always has.
I dont care dude...
I said the word wasnt even in my vocab.
I was simply explaining how some people view the word.
when some people hear the word discipline then they think of getting in trouble..not training.training

Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM

71 posts, read 171,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What are you tips? It's been five years since I've dealt with a baby, so I've actually forgotten what I did with my first daughter. Our second, Anji, isn't so overtly strong willed like her sister; however, she can be pretty determined. Unlike her sister, she learned how to walk early and has succeeded in getting into all sorts of trouble. She likes to get reactions from people..i.e. she pinches someone just to see their reaction. If someone reacts sharply to her (i.e. "No Anji!"), she proceeds to cry, as if to say "you told me no? how dare you!" Another thing she's doing lately is nudging my chin to the side forcefully, almost as if slapping it but without the force. She does this, again, to get a reaction.

Tonight she tore off her bib. Told her no, and put it back on. She worked at it again and tore it off. Put it firmly back on. She was extra willful tonight and kept tearing it off, and I kept putting it back on. I tried re-direct/distraction and that worked momentarily before she was at it again.

Also, it seems as if a male voice gets her attention more than a female voice. If I tell her no, she looks at me as if I had two faces. Her father tells her no, and she reacts with a cry/frown. Mind you, I am not saying no in a laughing/happy go lucky sort of way.

Thanks!
Please....a child under at least 2-years of age is much too young for discipline. This is why the crying when yelled at.
You are her sun, moon, stars, everything in the world, and she has no idea why you are suddenly angry.

The brain connections and chemistry that she is growing right now will be with her for the rest of her life. To get that brain growing correctly, she needs love, love, gentleness, love, smiles, hugs, touch, facial expressions of great affection, and more love.

If a child is getting negative feedback at this young age, she will not grow into her healthiest self.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by measured1 View Post
Please....a child under at least 2-years of age is much too young for discipline. This is why the crying when yelled at. You are her sun, moon, stars, everything in the world, and she has no idea why you are suddenly angry.
You... do know there are ways to discipline that don't include yelling or getting angry, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by measured1 View Post
The brain connections and chemistry that she is growing right now will be with her for the rest of her life. To get that brain growing correctly, she needs love, love, gentleness, love, smiles, hugs, touch, facial expressions of great affection, and more love.

If a child is getting negative feedback at this young age, she will not grow into her healthiest self.
Nonsense. What does negative feedback do that negative feelings in general can't? Is every baby who experiences colic, for example, doomed to never reach the potential they could've without it?

Cause and effect. If your child demonstrates knowledge of this, it's possible to alter their behavior.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 PM

500 posts, read 748,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
You... do know there are ways to discipline that don't include yelling or getting angry, right?

Nonsense. What does negative feedback do that negative feelings in general can't? Is every baby who experiences colic, for example, doomed to never reach the potential they could've without it?

Cause and effect. If your child demonstrates knowledge of this, it's possible to alter their behavior.
Yes, but it's the retention of this knowledge and the ability of the toddler to act on it that influences their behavior. In other words, a child may learn cause and effect at that age, but not have the impulse control or understanding to follow through on correcting their behavior. They will eventually but the younger the child, the higher the failure rate on any type of discipline. Recognizing that would lead to a lot fewer frustrated parents.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Yes, but it's the retention of this knowledge and the ability of the toddler to act on it that influences their behavior. In other words, a child may learn cause and effect at that age, but not have the impulse control or understanding to follow through on correcting their behavior. They will eventually but the younger the child, the higher the failure rate on any type of discipline. Recognizing that would lead to a lot fewer frustrated parents.
Idk about that. It never frustrated me any.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What are you tips? It's been five years since I've dealt with a baby, so I've actually forgotten what I did with my first daughter. Our second, Anji, isn't so overtly strong willed like her sister; however, she can be pretty determined. Unlike her sister, she learned how to walk early and has succeeded in getting into all sorts of trouble. She likes to get reactions from people..i.e. she pinches someone just to see their reaction. If someone reacts sharply to her (i.e. "No Anji!"), she proceeds to cry, as if to say "you told me no? how dare you!" Another thing she's doing lately is nudging my chin to the side forcefully, almost as if slapping it but without the force. She does this, again, to get a reaction.

Tonight she tore off her bib. Told her no, and put it back on. She worked at it again and tore it off. Put it firmly back on. She was extra willful tonight and kept tearing it off, and I kept putting it back on. I tried re-direct/distraction and that worked momentarily before she was at it again.

Also, it seems as if a male voice gets her attention more than a female voice. If I tell her no, she looks at me as if I had two faces. Her father tells her no, and she reacts with a cry/frown. Mind you, I am not saying no in a laughing/happy go lucky sort of way.

Thanks!

save your self a Life time prison sentence. put the child up for adoption. YOU CAN"T HANDLE IT and may wind up losig it and harming the child

Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
save your self a Life time prison sentence. put the child up for adoption. YOU CAN"T HANDLE IT and may wind up losig it and harming the child

I do not understand how you get to "you can't handle it," let alone a prison sentence, based on a post that was made from levels of exhaustion and frustration that almost anyone with small children and multiple demands has experienced at one time or another. The OP was asking for teaching-discipline not physical-discipline strategies as well as reminders of what is developmentally appropriate. You seem to have missed that she has already parented an older child successfully (for lack of a better word). IMO, there was nothing in the OP that warranted such an extreme response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting