Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I don't think the OP has anything against the black boy personally. I'm sure the boy is very nice, and the OP realizes that. It's the relationship that causes the problem. I don't care for PC-ness myself; I can tolerate it, and the OP probably can, as well. But for some people, the line is drawn where it intersects with the family. How well I remember George Jefferson on TV, complaining that his son (black, for those of you born after 1980) was dating a "honky" (cracker, for those of you born after 1980).

Why is it OK for a black man to want his son to date a black girl, but it's not OK for the OP to want their daughter to date a white boy? Both have refused to be PC when it comes to family.
Ahhh.. "I don't care for PC". What a convenient euphemism to hide racism, sexism, and other unsavory forms of discrimination behind!

Old 03-27-2015, 05:56 PM

66 posts, read 130,007 times
Quote:
I don't think the OP has anything against the black boy personally. I'm sure the boy is very nice, and the OP realizes that. It's the relationship that causes the problem. I don't care for PC-ness myself; I can tolerate it, and the OP probably can, as well. But for some people, the line is drawn where it intersects with the family. How well I remember George Jefferson on TV, complaining that his son (black, for those of you born after 1980) was dating a "honky" (cracker, for those of you born after 1980).

Why is it OK for a black man to want his son to date a black girl, but it's not OK for the OP to want their daughter to date a white boy? Both have refused to be PC when it comes to family.
Exactly. I said the same things about Arabs. How many times do you see an Arab marry inter-racially? Generation after generation sticks to their own race. And that's something I honestly have no problem with. But no one brands them as racist.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
You honestly believe an Arab man would let his daughter marry an African-American man without a second thought? You're more naive than I thought.

Why the hell do u keep bringing up Arabs??? Thats usually a religious thing, but regardless we are talking about YOU!!! I am a black man that dates all kinds of women, as long as I find them attractive, and I find you offensive. As offensive as a black parent that has an issue with their kids dating someone who is non black. You're all bad. Thank god my parents are "AMERICANS", and really dont care who me or my siblings date.

If my parents thought like you, they would be cut out of a huge part of my personal life and there would be a whole topic of conversations that would be off limits to them. You sound like you live in a box somewhere out in the sticks. I can't believe you're even asking if you're a racist person, yeah you are if you're too desnse to figure it out

Old 03-27-2015, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,069 times
Thumbs down You are a racist!!!

Your daughter must decide who she wants to date or marry not you!!!! It is her choice not yours!!!
That the boy is black doesn't make him to be less than you! Probably he is better than you are...

Old 03-27-2015, 06:03 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Why is it OK for a black man to want his son to date a black girl, but it's not OK for the OP to want their daughter to date a white boy? .

Who said this was ok? Both the Archie Bunker and George Jefferson character were serverly flawed TV characters from another era and it was kind of funny at times b/c it was "TV". Nothing funny about anybody feeling like those two in the real world.

Racism is definately down in the country but we still apparently have a way to go. When the 65 and older crowd dies out, I'm sure things will get a little better.

Last edited by jacktravern; 03-27-2015 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Mispelled word

Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
No, I haven't. Admittedly I don't know much about him. My daughter lives with her mother. We're divorced. However it's no secret that African-Americans commit a disproportionate amount of crime. Is it unreasonable for me to be concerned when I contemplate it from that aspect? This is my child we're talking about. Even if I'm being over-protective, I'd rather be that than sorry.
When you bring up these concerns, you are being prejudiced. You have to admit that not all black people behave like that. So, without having met the young man, you are assuming quite a bit.

If this young man came from a middle class intact family, would you still care about his skin color?

450 posts, read 508,023 times
My younger brother was hurt badly in a sporting accident when he was in HS. He was in a comma and visitation rights to see him were restricted to "immediate family only". One of his best friends as well as his coach were both black and we were all white. They both wanted to see my brother. The hospital staff refused them because of their rules. But since many of us family members were standing there waiting to go in, both the black friend and coach claimed to be his "brother". The rest of us whites nodded in agreement and they were allowed to enter! Those guys were very important to my brother. That's all that really mattered!

140 posts, read 189,042 times
Quote:
This is my child we're talking about. Even if I'm being over-protective, I'd rather be that than sorry.
Here's my advice. If you care about her, keeping her as far away from racist white guys is the best thing you could ever do for her. Granted that means you won't be able to see her any more, but you can explain to her that it's because you care about her and it's for her own protection.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:06 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Who said this was ok? Both the Archie Bunker and George Jefferson character were serverly flawed TV characters from another era and it was kind of funny at times b/c it was "TV". Nothing funny about anybody feeling like those too in the real world.

Racism is definately down in the country but we still apparently have a way to go. When the 65 and older crowd dies out, I'm sure things will get a little better.
Might be but I know a lot of older mixed couples that would not represent that point of view.

As far as the OPs post goes if the guy fits some negative stereotype her point would be validated as opposed to bringing home some straight laced kid.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 PM

66 posts, read 130,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When you bring up these concerns, you are being prejudiced. You have to admit that not all black people behave like that. So, without having met the young man, you are assuming quite a bit.

If this young man came from a middle class intact family, would you still care about his skin color?
From what I know, he sounds like he is middle class. I don't know about the details of his home life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting