Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 10:43 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have never read more bizzarre posts than yours. This is insane.
Right? So crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:20 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Ok, I checked.

Without knowing the state, in general this is not assault and theft (for a bunch of reasons I'm NOT going to type out).

Assault and theft equal robbery from a legal standpoint, so the complaint would be robbery, but still not valid.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2018, 01:11 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Possibly a mom of kids whose ex-husband is dating now and resents the women he dates? My best guess.
That's what I was thinking...add in the "lots of kids get taken away from their parents in that uppity state"

Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace70 View Post
My fiance has a 12 yo daughter who talks back or argues every time you say something to her. She is extremely disrespectful and frequently calls her dad stupid. She interrupts adults talking, whines and complains if she doesn't get her way, and screeches every morning when she is woken up. We just went to DC together on a much-anticipated spring break. She complained loudly (even after a clear instruction of expectations was given) because she was cold and tired, and it was snowing. This went on the whole time her Grandpa, a Vietnam Vet, was seeing the Vietnam Memorial for the first time. If she doesn't have her nose in her phone or computer, she doesn't know how to survive. She ignores rules and doesn't care if she gets caught. In the hotel room one night, we told her several times to turn off her phone. She waited a while, then continued to text under the blanket. When I pried it away, she said "What!" "At least charge it for me if you're going to take it." I hid it, and for the next hour she came over and fumbled around by my nightstand four different times trying to find her phone. My fiance thinks she doesn't have much behavior issues since she is ADHD and Asberger, but she is able to behave at school and church, so I feel she is capable of also behaving well at home. She lies, yells at anyone trying to talk to her (including grandparents) and is constantly putting us in danger of being kicked out of hotels or restaurants. Her behavior gets me upset the first 15 minutes into being around her. Am I overreacting to this behavior?

Her ADHD and Asbergers is probably just.... lack of civility and manners.

Are you overreacting? Honestly? I think you are under-reacting.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
It is so sad, that so many on this thread, including the OP, think this child should be treated and punished as a normal child. She is not normal, and needs treated differently.

They simply cannot accept the fact, this young girl, for all intents and purposes in MENTALLY ILL, and does not act and react as a normally mentally healthy person does. Her mind works different than normal peoples minds do.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK20369/

https://psychcentral.com/blog/how-do...ental-illness/

They act and react differently than a normal mentally healthy person does.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ad...d-a-disability

If her mental problems are still with her when she reaches 18 and she is unable to hold down a job, she can draw SSD payments from the federal government to be able to support herself, along with medical care.

The OP and many others seem to only think she is just a spoiled brat, and a little strict discipline can knock her back to being a normal child. That is not going to happen, no matter what they think. Instead of helping her, it just upsets her, and makes her conditions worse.

What she needs is love and support, and guidance of the right kind to help her. She is not getting it, and the girl is suffering, which keeps the adults in the household upset, and they take it out on the girl.

It is not easy living with a young teen with her mental conditions.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:53 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is so sad, that so many on this thread, including the OP, think this child should be treated and punished as a normal child. She is not normal, and needs treated differently.

They simply cannot accept the fact, this young girl, for all intents and purposes in MENTALLY ILL, and does not act and react as a normally mentally healthy person does. Her mind works different than normal peoples minds do.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK20369/

https://psychcentral.com/blog/how-do...ental-illness/

They act and react differently than a normal mentally healthy person does.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ad...d-a-disability

If her mental problems are still with her when she reaches 18 and she is unable to hold down a job, she can draw SSD payments from the federal government to be able to support herself, along with medical care.

The OP and many others seem to only think she is just a spoiled brat, and a little strict discipline can knock her back to being a normal child. That is not going to happen, no matter what they think. Instead of helping her, it just upsets her, and makes her conditions worse.

What she needs is love and support, and guidance of the right kind to help her. She is not getting it, and the girl is suffering, which keeps the adults in the household upset, and they take it out on the girl.

It is not easy living with a young teen with her mental conditions.
The child is NOT mentally ill. Autism is NOT a mental illness it is a developmental disorder. ADHD is mental disorder which can be controlled via behavioral therapy and medication. Yes her mind works differently but that does not mean she can not learn how to behave. She has learned how to do what works best for her. She is crying out for help. Hopefully she receives that help.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Her ADHD and Asbergers is probably just.... lack of civility and manners.
It might be possible that she wasn't taught manners. But ADHD and autism are real neurological conditions.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:54 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
OP, I realize that as an adult woman you deserve to live your own life but the situation you are describing is like walking into a nightmare.

You have a responsibility to your children to have them grow up in a stable and loving home, especially since one is dealing with issues of her own. Exposing them to a chaotic daily life with an ineffective father and a child who seems to need therapy and major help would be a great disservice to your children.

This sounds like a disaster in the making for all of you. Concentrate on your own family, home and protect your children from upheaval in their lives at a crucial age.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:04 AM

371 posts, read 287,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The child is NOT mentally ill. Autism is NOT a mental illness it is a developmental disorder. ADHD is mental disorder which can be controlled via behavioral therapy and medication. Yes her mind works differently but that does not mean she can not learn how to behave. She has learned how to do what works best for her. She is crying out for help. Hopefully she receives that help.
She never said autism was a mental illness. She said this girl is mentally ill. And it sure looks that way so better to be safe than sorry.
Autism is a psychiatric disorder, btw.

NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) offers a free series of classes called Family To Family
- It is around 1.5 hrs once a week for about 2 months. Or sometimes it can be taken all in one weekend
Again, It's called Family to Family.
I know they are not a family unit but it is a very effective class to deal with these types of disorders.
Each family can enroll in regards to their own kin since they both have children with similar diagnosis

Here is NAMI's webpage regarding Autism & ADHD

https://www.nami.org/NAMI/media/NAMI.../Autism-FS.pdf

https://www.nami.org/NAMI/media/NAMI...ts/ADHD-FS.pdf

NAMI has a 24/7 FREE phone helpline .
if anyone feels they might become become violent with someone diagnosed with these disorders, or any other crisis.
especially good for those who are not placed in authority yet feel they are loosing control and may get physical with someone else's child.

Last edited by ItIsWritten.; 04-06-2018 at 12:28 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 12:40 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I'm going to go on the assumption they were not having sex in the hotel room with the 12 year old. Ya know, just to keep my sanity and such.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting