Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 AM

371 posts, read 288,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm going to go on the assumption they were not having sex in the hotel room with the 12 year old. Ya know, just to keep my sanity and such.
I think that's a given at least to those who are sorta sane once in a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 03:17 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Her ADHD and Asbergers is probably just.... lack of civility and manners.

Are you overreacting? Honestly? I think you are under-reacting.

Run Run Run Away. Quickly. You want nothing to do with this.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:47 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
You're not overreacting.If I were you...I would definitely not continue with this relationship because as long as you're with this guy...YOU will always have to deal with his lack of being a strict parent which would mean you having to always deal with an unruly child.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:54 AM

596 posts, read 890,076 times
Dealing with step-kids in the best circumstances is difficult. This situation adds a whole new dimension of difficulty. The fact that he has gone this long without establishing boundaries with her seems to doom the whole thing to me. She is already 12 years old. Her character and habits are set.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:23 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace70 View Post
My fiance has a 12 yo daughter.......Am I overreacting to this behavior?

Run Run Run Away. This has divorce written all over it.

There is NOTHING worse than a spoiled arrogant out-of-control child. It's a real indicator of what kind of man he is really.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Run Run Run Away. This has divorce written all over it.

There is NOTHING worse than a spoiled arrogant out-of-control child. It's a real indicator of what kind of man he is really.
You still do not get it. You think it is just a spoiled out of control child. Not true. It is a child with mental problems, inability to concentrate on one thing at a time, who need a lot of love and stability to get through her teen years. ADHD and Asperger/Asberger in the severity this child appears to have, are both mental conditions that the child has no control over.

Learn about a child with this problem having melt-downs as this young girl is having, are not her fault.

My Aspergers Child: Autism Meltdown-Management 101: Key Points for Parents and Teachers

Punishing a child with Asperger Problems is different than punishing a normal child. Punishing as a normal child, can cause more problems with the child than if nothing was done.

How to Discipline a Child With Asperger’s – Health Guide Daily

The problems with what the OP is doing with this child, is increasing the problem not helping solve it. And anyone that thinks that this child can be punished to the point they can behave differently is wrong.

https://www.additudemag.com/behavior...ild-with-adhd/

A source for help.

https://www.additudemag.com/download...src=embed_link

It is time the OP and a lot of posters accept the fact, this child is not a normal child, and has to be treated differently.

We have a a grandson with the same problems. We have had counseling on how to handle and work with him, and his problems. We have learned about meltdowns, which the OP and many posters think are just temper tantrums. Something that you should never punish a child for, as they have no understanding about how to prevent them.

This young girl was thrown into crowds in Washington D.C. Taken clear out of her normal surroundings and comfort zone. She would have been exhausted by the end of the day. That is enough to cause a meltdown and lots of problems. Then she is punished because she does not act like a normal child. Accept the fact she is not a normal child, but someone with a serious mental condition that she cannot control, and must be handled and worked with to help her just survive in a world she does not really understand.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:20 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
ADD and ADHD are real disorders.

And not all diagnosed children get medications or drugs. Mine does not.

But yes, the disorder is real and it's a valid diagnosis.
That doesn't mean it's not over-diagnosed and/or that drugs aren't over-prescribed.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Let's say the girl has no control over this due to medical problems - how does that in any way lessen the impact to the OP?

There is not enough information to even assume that, and she seems to be able to turn it on off in various situations, so that leads me to believe that the behavior is a choice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2018, 03:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have no children but I was a child myself and I know what my parents did wrong and what they could have done better. And I know that texting all the way through dinner and talking back to adults is not the kids fault - it is a lack of setting basic rules and respect by the parents. ADD doesn't make you text during dinner. This is not rocket science. And every parent knows this deep down but they are too tired, too lazy, too lenient, too overworked, too busy with other stuff and they like the ADD excuse because they think they are off the hook with parenting.

I don't think ADD is a fake disorder. But I think that most parents work full time and when they come home, they are understandably tired and don't want to be the bad guy disciplining or are just too tired. The little time they have with their kids, they want to be liked by them, so they don't really parent - they are more like friends.

The people who deal with the kids during the day don't have the authority to be strict (enough). Back in the day when only one parent worked (usually the dad), mom was watching the kid and could set it straight right the moment unruly behavior was at its beginning. This doesn't happen anymore.
I think it is a product of modern society. No one really feels responsible to be strict and teachers/mentors/tutors/babysitters don't have the authority.

I am 41 and when I grew up, there were about 2 unruly kids in my grade, those were diagnosed with ADD and the parents were called in periodically. They got extra homework for disbheving, or maybe a spank on the butt from their parents and this was the end of it for a while and then over time it went away when they grew out of it. There was no special allowance for anyone to behave poorly. The fidgety kids had to sit in the front row to be under close watch, so they cannot just slack off.

When I was celebrating my birthday and invited an unruly child, it got taken home early and never invited again. When it realized that most kids aren't inviting it anymore, guess what - it stopped being annoying.

If you do not get your child under control, you are creating an entitled feeling monster.
I couldn't rep you again!

Old 04-07-2018, 03:36 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
She never said autism was a mental illness. She said this girl is mentally ill. And it sure looks that way so better to be safe than sorry.
Autism is a psychiatric disorder, btw.

NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) offers a free series of classes called Family To Family
- It is around 1.5 hrs once a week for about 2 months. Or sometimes it can be taken all in one weekend
Again, It's called Family to Family.
I know they are not a family unit but it is a very effective class to deal with these types of disorders.
Each family can enroll in regards to their own kin since they both have children with similar diagnosis

Here is NAMI's webpage regarding Autism & ADHD

https://www.nami.org/NAMI/media/NAMI.../Autism-FS.pdf

https://www.nami.org/NAMI/media/NAMI...ts/ADHD-FS.pdf

NAMI has a 24/7 FREE phone helpline .
if anyone feels they might become become violent with someone diagnosed with these disorders, or any other crisis.
especially good for those who are not placed in authority yet feel they are loosing control and may get physical with someone else's child.

Actually Autism is a developmental disorder. As a parent and an educator impacted by this on a daily basis I promise I’m well versed on this.

Quote:
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a developmental disorder that affects communication and behavior. Although autism can be diagnosed at any age, it is said to be a “developmental disorder” because symptoms generally appear in the first two years of life.

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), a guide created by the American Psychiatric Association used to diagnose mental disorders, people with ASD have: Difficulty with communication and interaction with other people, Restricted interests and repetitive behaviors, and Symptoms that hurt the person’s ability to function properly in school, work, and other areas of life
https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topi...sd/index.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting