Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss cali View Post
It's just a matter of time before they take her children away from her. There is no way she can provide for the 14 children without a job and living in a three bedroom house where she did not even pay rent. Now she even has a website to collect donations. The nerve!

Welcome to The Nadya Suleman Family Website (http://www.thenadyasulemanfamily.com/ - broken link)

Oh come on now...everyone here needs to go and make a nice donation at her website. After all, nails don't manicure themselves and baby needs new collagen for her lips...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,311,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Is there any way to view the comments on the website without posting a comment yourself?

That's what I thought yesterday. Apparently she's getting death threats and nasty messages that she doesn't want people to see.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I still say this woman has a mental defect and the state needs to order her to be sterilized and the drs license taken away . the dr also must have a mental defect . this whole thing makes me sick . I mean if she wanted more kids she could have fostered them . she is just mentally ill and there is no excuse for it and yes I have gone without alot while raising my kids . I was a single mom with two boys and not a dime in welfare or food stamps or child support . I got up off my as* and got a job and supported my own kids without the help of the state and this whacko needs to do the same thing . I sure as heck did not create a website due to my inability to think about how I was going to raise my kids . I mean if you cannot afford your own place to live minus your parents then you dont need kids !!!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
ewww..
OctoMom -- It Was a Very Goodyear - TMZ.com

Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No as I understand she IS providing those things. It doesn't matter if she's getting someone else to do it as long as she is arranging for it.
No, it says "adequate" food, clothing, SHELTER, and medical care. A 3 bedroom house with 17 people is NOT adequate.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I I was a single mom with two boys and not a dime in welfare or food stamps or child support . I got up off my as* and got a job and supported my own kids without the help of the state and this whacko needs to do the same thing .
I don't have a problem with women who use public assistance to get themselves back on their feet. IN all honesty most of the time it is the deabeat dads who are getting paid CASH to avoid having to give money to support their children is one of the reasons the mother has to be on assistance in the first place.

I do not like women getting pregnant repeatedly just to stay on public assistance so they do not HAVE to work. But that is very hard to PROVE- that they INTENTIONALLY had more children even though they have no means to support them. More than likely it is just neglience to use birth control on their part and not an actualy intentional pregnancy. But again, either way it is HARD to prove.

In THIS case however it is EASY to prove she intentionally got pregnant while having no means to support the children. She intentionally is robbing the taxpayers of California and this is where someone needs to step in.

They either need to change the law so that you may not receive benefits from the state if you intentionally seek to get pregnant (and the only way to prove it was intentional is if you are doing IVF or fertility drugs) and at that time are unable financially to care for them, or they need to authorize Fertility doctors to require proof of financial stability BEFORE they offer to work with the patients.

This seems to be a very rare case, but anytime a woman gets pregnant INTENTIONALLY and does not have the means to support the child is just depressing because they have no social responsibility inside of themselves. They are not productive members of society and it just drags all of us down.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The way I see it is that the media is having a field day saying it is the doctor's fault. I am not sure that doctors should be making moral decisions for the rest of us.

I would not hang this on the doctor unless he/she can find this woman mentally deranged in some way.

That is HARD. We all have a different idea of how many is too much, but let's not circumvent our responsibility as a community and try to force the DOCTOR to make these decisions.

There must be a legal line drawn, something to give a guideline to all concerned.

Nobody wants to tackle the HOT issue, so MOST are laying the responsibility at the feet of the doctor.
The doctor's choice has NOTHING to do with morals. It has to do with professional ethics.

ANY doctor who has a patient who is #1) unemployed #2) already has 6 children; 3 with special needs #3) a back injury that was serious enough to get disability (though this is debatable seeing the mental issues this woman has) #4) and absolutley no suppport system does not HAVE to offer his services based on ethics.

What the doctor did has nothing to do with his morality. It has to do with a breech of ethics. He overstepped his professional duty & knows it...that is why he is hiding & the medical school he attended wants nothing to do with him.

The doctor had his chance. Supposedly, he knew she was unemployed & had 6 children. Since he is not talking b/c he is being investigated by the State of CA, who knows what the real truth is.

He sure as hell should be held accountable. An ethical doctor would have turned her away & risked the lawsuit. Ehtical professionals do this every day to some extent.

Sorry, but he is in a ton of more s$it now than if he would have told her "no" 9 months ago.

She would have NEVER been able to afford a strong attorney to get the embryos, so it would have been an open & shut case had she even went that far.

I think she manipulated the doctor.

The doctor was stupid & unethical. He should be held accountable. His actions have cost the state of CA about $5million to date.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss cali View Post
It's just a matter of time before they take her children away from her. There is no way she can provide for the 14 children without a job and living in a three bedroom house where she did not even pay rent. Now she even has a website to collect donations. The nerve!

Welcome to The Nadya Suleman Family Website (http://www.thenadyasulemanfamily.com/ - broken link)
Geraldo Rivera had a family on his show Saturday night who had sextuplets (6), and one five year old girl. The babies were 17 months old. They appeared with mom, dad, and two other women to help them. The utter chaos was amazing. The babies never stopped moving, crying, fussing, etc. And there were FOUR adults with them.

But one thing the mother said that I took notice of. She said in the beginning they got a lot of diapers, forumula, etc., but eventually that dries up. So if Ms. Suleman is counting on "forever" support, she's sadly mistaken. In a few weeks a whole 'nother story will take her story's place, and she'll be at home with 14 kids and her parents. Even with welfare, she's in for a major lifestyle change. And I'm sure the intense public dislike for her actions would preclude any offers of TV shows, etc.

When the family's section ended, Geraldo just kind of stared straight ahead for a few seconds, like he couldn't believe it. And that was four adults with the 7 kids.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
No, it says "adequate" food, clothing, SHELTER, and medical care. A 3 bedroom house with 17 people is NOT adequate.
I DON'T agree with what she's doing AT ALL...as you can clearly tell by reading my posts. BUT, I think the definition of "adequate" is very liberal and as long as their BASIC needs are being met there's really nothing that could be done. A 3-bedroom house with 17 people may not be adequate in most people's minds (including mine) but they ARE being provided shelter and as long as it's safe, I don't think there's anything they can do.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post

State Sen. Sam Aanestad, R-Grass Valley, an oral surgeon who sits on the Health Committee, said that once a state Medical Board investigation is complete, lawmakers could review issues from government oversight to standards in fertility treatment. Suleman received disability payments for an on-the-job back injury during a riot at a state mental hospital, collecting more than $165,000 over nearly a decade before the benefits were discontinued last year. Some of the disability money was spent on in vitro fertilizations, which was used for all 14 of her children, Suleman said. She said she also worked double shifts at the mental hospital and saved up for the treatments. She estimated that all her treatments cost $100,000.
One bad apple spoiled the whole bunch. Now the gov't (rightfully so) needs to regulate this fertility business because of the unethical doctors now practicing.
OH and of course she is stating she saved up for the treatments because she knows she could get in big trouble if she used her disability on those embryos instead of her live children. She would not have been able to get foodstamps if she had money in the bank (savings etc).

Quote:
Fourteen states, including California, require insurance companies to offer or provide coverage for infertility treatment, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. But California has a law specifically excluding in vitro coverage. It's not clear what type of coverage Suleman has. In the NBC interview, Suleman said she will go back to California State University, Fullerton in the fall to complete her master's degree in counseling, and will use student loans to support her children. She already owes $50,000 in student loans, she told NBC. She said she will rely on the school's daycare center and volunteers.
She will rely on others to raise her children so she can go off once again and pursue whatever she wants.

I have never seen a human as irresponsible as this one. No wonder her mother is disgusted and humiliated. I would be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting