Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 07:18 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,694,300 times

Advertisements

I've been to Target twice and Kohl's once. I got my son a tie for Homecoming at Kohl's for $4!! It was $28, marked down half price, and I used the $10 card that came in the mail.

Target is nice, as all Targets are, and everyone I encountered was friendly. I can imagine, though, that shopping there and working there (or any store) are totally different experiences.

I agree with your comment, M and M, that they seem to have picked up employees at the NYC bus station (or anywhere else, for that matter). I know a lot of people in this area and so far I've seen one (ONE!) person that I recognized - an older man working at the Target checkout. I haven't even seen any shoppers I recognize yet. Where did these people come from?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 AM

44 posts, read 127,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I've been to Target twice and Kohl's once. I got my son a tie for Homecoming at Kohl's for $4!! It was $28, marked down half price, and I used the $10 card that came in the mail.

Target is nice, as all Targets are, and everyone I encountered was friendly. I can imagine, though, that shopping there and working there (or any store) are totally different experiences.

I agree with your comment, M and M, that they seem to have picked up employees at the NYC bus station (or anywhere else, for that matter). I know a lot of people in this area and so far I've seen one (ONE!) person that I recognized - an older man working at the Target checkout. I haven't even seen any shoppers I recognize yet. Where did these people come from?!?
Well Dawne, I am fairly certain that the majority of the store management and asst management for both of those stores have been "imported" from other areas. I believe (jmho) this may be the problem - let's face it - you and I both know that Central PA is a "different breed" and we want what we want when we want it. We also LIKE going into a store, grocery or otherwise, and stopping to chat with 6 people who work there that we know BEFORE we even start our own shopping/what we came into the store for. Target is trying (from what I understand from friends). The other store you mention....well, I have heard....and I quote...."the store manager sucks". Apparently the other day, one of the asst managers just up and quit {fact - not hearsay} (altho she was coddled to come back) because "she just couldn't take it anymore". I find that interesting given where I work full time - I would take retail 8 hours a day any day of the week! I also believe the store you mentioned is having a lot of difficulties with items being returned due to damage, falling apart, etc and items being not priced according to the flyer, sale posting, etc. My advice to anyone is CHECK YOUR RECEIPT CAREFULLY! I have my own doubts if this one particular store management team will actually be in place in 6 mos.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM

59 posts, read 154,415 times
My thoughts on MM is Red Robin is an good resteraunt... Happy to have an alternative to go too...but extremely looking forward to another resteraunt going in...There are so many other choices Olive Garden for sure is a great one...Smokey Bones, Lonestar, Texas Roadhouse, Chilis, Outback all of which would do great biz....Their quality is good and I think people would really enjoy that change...As for Target, thought it was great...Kohls is a lil small....hard to get through the aisles....maybe when the crowd dies down it won't be too bad...Giant is good but it's a grocery store and anyone not from here knows that it looks like most grocery stores look in other areas...If anything some other areas their grocery stores offer even more ...so for me it was no big deal....Just my 2 cents

Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 PM

oh forgot to comment...on the different breed stuff..
i am not sure the relevance nor how anyone can know
for certain anyone is from here or not... I cannot imagine there is anyone
in or around here that knows each person who orginated from
this area and who did not...

People are people...that's how i see ...

Last edited by liketoblog; 10-18-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Barnes and Noble is a great one to add too....

Old Navy

Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoblog View Post

I would actually get excited to see so many out-of-state vehicles visiting our store when I still worked at the Wilkes-Barre Township Lowe's. It made me feel good to see so many people relocating into our area.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 21,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoblog View Post

I could not agree more being that my family and I have been recently "imported" due to the job my husband took in the Monroe Marketplace. I think it's great. I think it will do wonders for the local economy and not to mention job security for our family. I like this area and am looking foward to raising my children here. You're right people are people.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:16 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldog View Post
I could not agree more being that my family and I have been recently "imported" due to the job my husband took in the Monroe Marketplace. I think it's great. I think it will do wonders for the local economy and not to mention job security for our family. I like this area and am looking foward to raising my children here. You're right people are people.
Welcome to North Central PA! I hope you find the people of Union/Snyder Counties to be just as gracious and hospitable as I found them to be during my photo tours of Lewisburg and Selinsgrove. I think friendly people like R J MacReady and Dawne are good indicators to who you will soon befriend in your new home. I'm still considering Lewisburg for my retirement someday.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 PM

I guess I see it as.....the more people that these businesses bring in the better for all ...A lot of the jobs have opened..low paying or not in this ecomony a job is a job...my guess is now more than ever people are working many jobs and sometimes low paying means also less stress jobs for those who already have a full time job that's stressful it helps that their second job is extra money but not extra stress.

Like I said but unfortunately I didn't complete my thought as well as I wanted too yesterday I see people as people......I do not see "imports" or different breeds....I don't know who orginated from here and who hasn't...Who lives here from who doesn't....nor do I think it matters ......

I would think the concenses is we would want as people to come here to enjoy our stores so they can see what our town has to offer...and also maybe help the small businesses around that they wouldn't of really known was there if they didn't decide to come to the Marketplace. Not only the other businesses but also our real estate market may improve.

Extra revenue can also keep our taxes from increasing...all things to keep in mind.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 17,656 times
I have no complaints about Monroe Marketplace. It is a work in progress. It will take time for the new businesses and employees to operate at 100%. It's great to see these new stores in our area and I have plenty of patience with them.

For too long we have driven away new businesses--opportunities that we should be welcoming with open arms, but instead they are met with red tape and locals being cynical and protesting. Frankly, Monroe Marketplace was a long time in coming. It should not take several years to wait for permits and zoning issues. Look what Lewisburg did when Giant wanted to build a store there.

I am very encouraged about the future of our area and I hope Monroe Marketplace is just the start of many great things to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania