Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
We have already had so many sneaker and shoes stores on the strip! Although I guess I would rather see a NIKE store than another Santander or T-Mobile.
And you are right. Too many vacancy and middle-class stores that are perceived as high-end a la Michael Kors, Banana Republic and the like.
You need stores like Banana, J crew, Ann Taylor etc in order to have a strong retail scene. They are the foundation stores.

And I find J Crew to be higher end, Banana is mid-range (but tries to be higher end)

MK is just tacky, and I would not even compare them to Banana lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:43 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You need stores like Banana, J crew, Ann Taylor etc in order to have a strong retail scene. They are the foundation stores.

And I find J Crew to be higher end, Banana is mid-range (but tries to be higher end)

MK is just tacky, and I would not even compare them to Banana lol.
I agree!
Just like Madison Ave. , not everybody goes there to buy things - rather window shopping.
A good solid middle class shops are needed to have the cash flows in the area.
We have enough of them in Walnut, we can start having those high-end ones.

Michael Kors has become the staple uniform of every hoochie mamas, trailer trashes and what not. There is nothing wrong with people who like them. The brand has been so saturated that people start avoiding the brand like a plague. This is just like COACH all over again, which has been trying to fix her name / rebranding but STILL doing a wrong move by closing lots of its regular store (such as our Walnut's) to make the regular-line more exclusive and make the price a bit more expensive, AND WITHOUT CLOSING factory outlets. (A prime example of corporate greed). I personally think they should close the factory outlets (leave several open) and do not close the regular stores.
That is what happened when the company gets greedy and started opening outlets, selling subpar merchandises in every single outlets out there.

J Crew is better than Banana Republic, but I still see it as higher middle-class. (We can differ in opinion btw).
High end / luxury in my definition is when the t shirts are sold around $80 - $100 price point and higher. Shoes $500 and higher. Basically things that 99% of people will THINK twice or thrice to buy.
So things like: Dior, Rick Owens, Kenzo, Moschino, Alexander Wang, Kris Van Asschen. Louis Vuitton and alike.
Higher Middle class in my opinion is like: J. Crew, Kate and Jack Spade, Ted Baker, Madewell, DIESEL.
Then we have affordable like Banana Republic, Express, ALDO shoes, ZARA.
Then the lower tier will be: H&M, UNIQLO, F21, GAP.

Personally I do not like Banana. The clothes do not fit my body, and like you. I like slim fit with tapered back. Plus I am a swimmer and I have broad shoulders, so BR clothes look very funky on me. They fit on my shoulder and look very loose on the bottom as though I wear dress women wear when they are 5 - 6 months pregnant,
Surprisingly enough GAP outlet on Chestnut have one of the best slim fit shirt out there. They fit me very well. And I like the colors! The way I shop for myself is that I do not care where I got the clothes as long as they look good on me. So my wardrobe ranged from stuff from flea markets (and sometimes free stuff) all the way to Prada.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 05-13-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I agree!
Just like Madison Ave. , not everybody goes there to buy things - rather window shopping.
A good solid middle class shops are needed to have the cash flows in the area.
We have enough of them in Walnut, we can start having those high-end ones.

Michael Kors has become the staple uniform of every hoochie mamas, trailer trashes and what not. There is nothing wrong with people who like them. The brand has been so saturated that people start avoiding the brand like a plague. This is just like COACH all over again, which has been trying to fix her name / rebranding but STILL doing a wrong move by closing lots of its regular store (such as our Walnut's) to make the regular-line more exclusive and make the price a bit more expensive, AND WITHOUT CLOSING factory outlets. (A prime example of corporate greed). I personally think they should close the factory outlets (leave several open) and do not close the regular stores.
That is what happened when the company gets greedy and started opening outlets, selling subpar merchandises in every single outlets out there.

J Crew is better than Banana Republic, but I still see it as higher middle-class. (We can differ in opinion btw).
High end / luxury in my definition is when the t shirts are sold around $80 - $100 price point and higher. Shoes $500 and higher. Basically things that 99% of people will THINK twice or thrice to buy.
So things like: Dior, Rick Owens, Kenzo, Moschino, Alexander Wang, Kris Van Asschen. Louis Vuitton and alike.
Higher Middle class in my opinion is like: J. Crew, Kate and Jack Spade, Ted Baker, Madewell, DIESEL.
Then we have affordable like Banana Republic, Express, ALDO shoes, ZARA.
Then the lower tier will be: H&M, UNIQLO, F21, GAP.

Personally I do not like Banana. The clothes do not fit my body, and like you. I like slim fit with tapered back. Plus I am a swimmer and I have broad shoulders, so BR clothes look very funky on me. They fit on my shoulder and look very loose on the bottom as though I wear dress women wear when they are 5 - 6 months pregnant,
Surprisingly enough GAP outlet on Chestnut have one of the best slim fit shirt out there. They fit me very well. And I like the colors! The way I shop for myself is that I do not care where I got the clothes as long as they look good on me. So my wardrobe ranged from stuff from flea markets (and sometimes free stuff) all the way to Prada.
I agree that J Crew is upper middle class, it is nicer than Banana but I would still put Banana maybe slightly under J Crew simply because of the quality of clothes, Zara and Aldo are no better than H&M as far as quality goes but they get away with charging a lot more especially Zara.

Also I would move Ted Baker to the category above J Crew due to the fact that it is carried at many high end department stores and I have many shirts from him that are priced $100-175 which is def on the higher end.

Other than that I do agree that we need more very high end retailers as you mentioned, but I think first we need more infill of stores like Jack/Kate Spade, Tori Burch, Ted Baker etc. Madewell and Stuart Weitzman are a good start, and Theory and Vince are awesome.

Lastly, aside from super high end, we need high end/fashion forward brands like Saturdays NYC, Acne Studios, TopShop, Ben Sherman, Paul Smith, Disigual, etc. Those stores IMO show a much stronger retail market than say LV or gucci, because you have to know fashion if you are familiar with those brands.

I have always had great luck with Banana tailored slim fit shirts. I used to swim, now i lift..I am 6' tall 190lbs, and out of every slim fit shirt I own, my banana shirts and stone rose shirts fit the best

Old 05-13-2015, 06:25 PM

28 posts, read 28,352 times
Salvator Ferragamo
Hugo Boss
Nike
Nordstrom

A man can dream.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I agree that J Crew is upper middle class, it is nicer than Banana but I would still put Banana maybe slightly under J Crew simply because of the quality of clothes, Zara and Aldo are no better than H&M as far as quality goes but they get away with charging a lot more especially Zara.

Also I would move Ted Baker to the category above J Crew due to the fact that it is carried at many high end department stores and I have many shirts from him that are priced $100-175 which is def on the higher end.

Other than that I do agree that we need more very high end retailers as you mentioned, but I think first we need more infill of stores like Jack/Kate Spade, Tori Burch, Ted Baker etc. Madewell and Stuart Weitzman are a good start, and Theory and Vince are awesome.

Lastly, aside from super high end, we need high end/fashion forward brands like Saturdays NYC, Acne Studios, TopShop, Ben Sherman, Paul Smith, Disigual, etc. Those stores IMO show a much stronger retail market than say LV or gucci, because you have to know fashion if you are familiar with those brands.

I have always had great luck with Banana tailored slim fit shirts. I used to swim, now i lift..I am 6' tall 190lbs, and out of every slim fit shirt I own, my banana shirts and stone rose shirts fit the best
Ergh first of all, I want to apologize that I talked alot (typed) alot in my previous post and tbh I sounded douchey.
That's what hapened when I worked from home (by home, I mean a hotel in NYC ~ ha ha dont tell my boss) and drink wine in the same time - no filter ha!

Anyway TopShop is actually not that expensive. I would say it is around the same price point with Zara.
Zara is a little bit more expensive than H & M. I agree. And yes, the quality is as bad ha ha.

Aside of that, I agree with everything you said.
I guess the reason why some stores have stronger retail market because they are more street ready and wearable.

TIP for Ted Baker:
Some of their stuff , which are hardly on sale in their stores usually got marked down in Bloomingdales. There was a sale ending actually 2 days ago in Bloomies and I scored nice oxfords and totes for my client that are still in full price at Ted Baker stores.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:

Well, lucky you that you can find some clothes that really fit you off the rack. Clothes shopping tends to be something of a nightmare for short people like me. It's made even harder by the fact that I like clothes. I like looking nice even with casual wear.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, lucky you that you can find some clothes that really fit you off the rack. Clothes shopping tends to be something of a nightmare for short people like me. It's made even harder by the fact that I like clothes. I like looking nice even with casual wear.
Kby1,
How do you define your style profile and how tall are you, if I don't mind asking.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Ergh first of all, I want to apologize that I talked alot (typed) alot in my previous post and tbh I sounded douchey.
That's what hapened when I worked from home (by home, I mean a hotel in NYC ~ ha ha dont tell my boss) and drink wine in the same time - no filter ha!

Anyway TopShop is actually not that expensive. I would say it is around the same price point with Zara.
Zara is a little bit more expensive than H & M. I agree. And yes, the quality is as bad ha ha.

Aside of that, I agree with everything you said.
I guess the reason why some stores have stronger retail market because they are more street ready and wearable.

TIP for Ted Baker:
Some of their stuff , which are hardly on sale in their stores usually got marked down in Bloomingdales. There was a sale ending actually 2 days ago in Bloomies and I scored nice oxfords and totes for my client that are still in full price at Ted Baker stores.
I was at Bloomingdales in SoHo on Saturday and had fun at the sale

Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Kby1,
How do you define your style profile and how tall are you, if I don't mind asking.
I'm about 5'. My feet are small too. 6-6.5.

I wear pants/trousers/jeans exclusively. No dresses/skirts anymore. I wear shorts or capris in summer. I like shoes, real shoes. I avoid sneakers. I wear flats. Never heels. I do wear T-shirts but good ones. And I like shirts. I'm not femme although no one has ever confused me with a guy. I look female. My hair is short. It will never be long again.

I don't wear much jewelry because, when I was working, bracelets and rings interferred with keyboard typing. I was in IT so... lol

Color is fine. But I don't like clownish extremes regarding color.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I was at Bloomingdales in SoHo on Saturday and had fun at the sale
Where exactly is the Bloomies in SoHo?? Never been in it to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia