Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I think the show was Space: 1999

Space: 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what channel it was on. According to the article the producer had to sell it to local stations. So I guess that would have been either 5, 15 or 45.
Wasn't World Beyond popular in the mid-60's? I think I remember it...seems like there were a number of cheesy si-fi shows that were popular and out at the same time.

***Just googled and it was mid-70's

Last edited by trillcatz; 07-17-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:01 PM

214 posts, read 647,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Wasn't World Beyond popular in the mid-60's? I think I remember it...seems like there were a number of cheesy si-fi shows that were popular and out at the same time.
That is correct...Mostly all "B" movies. I remember it starting with an introduction by one of the KPHO tv 5 news personalities voice, and a song by Santana playing in the background (Black Magic Woman).

Old 07-17-2011, 01:09 PM

214 posts, read 647,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austwin1 View Post
I was born in Phoenix in 1956 and when my dad started to take me to Sky Harbor to watch planes in the early 60s the runway wasn't grass. Terminal two hadn't even been started on yet.
My wife told me, when they were kids living in S. Phoenix, her an her friends would actually walk across the runway of terminal 1 on the way to a soda company on Skyline Dr (maybe Shasta). They would let them have the dented cans. Was some time around the early 70's.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Horse-drawn streetcars pass by the old courthouse in 1890s
The first horse-drawn streetcar line was built along some 2 miles of Washington Street in 1887.
The Arizona Republic became a daily paper in 1890, with Ed Gill as its editor.
The year 1891 was marked by the greatest flood in the Valley's history, as well as by the advent of the first telephone system in Phoenix.
The horse-drawn streetcars were replaced in 1893 by electric cars. The electric cars stayed on the streets until the automobile replaced them on Feb. 17, 1948.
On March 12, 1895, the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railroad ran its first train to Phoenix.
That same year, 1895, the Phoenix Union High School was established, and 90 young people were enrolled.
By the turn of the century, the population of Phoenix had reached 5,554.
President William Howard Taft approved Arizona's statehood on Feb. 14, 1912. On March 18 of the same year, Gov. George Hunt called the first State Legislature into session.
Great article/webpage... I wonder where the "natatorium" was at that time? In the photo of the horse drawn streetcar you can make out "natatorium" as advertisement on the side of the car. I tried googling but no luck. Anyone know where this might have been in the early days?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
After church, some of the Phoenix families that attended the many churches along Central headed to Picadilly Cafeteria on Bethany Home and 15th Ave. at Chris Town Mall. I still remember how they charged for a tabs of butter and extra lemon on the side for iced tea. As a kid, I thought was overkill capitalism at its worst and very un-necessary. The place was never cheap, and a line out the door sometimes. Things changed when Luby's came to town. Not sure if Picadilly is still at Chris Town.
They had one at Thomas Mall, too..., I remember paying for pats of butter. Picadilly is long gone. Well, all the Luby's are, too.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 PM

124 posts, read 318,587 times
Forbes names "Encanto Park" in Top 12 Best City Parks in America!
Encanto Carousel
Over the years, the Encanto Carousel has been the focal point of countless birthdays, reunions, and first dates—as well as the backdrop for many weddings.
The oldest continuously-operating carousel in Arizona has charmed riders for over 50 years, beginning in 1948 when the historic machine was the centerpiece of Kiddieland Amusement Park.
After Kiddieland closed in the late 1980s, a group of volunteers raised money to buy the carousel and completely refurbish it. It was re-dedicated in 1991 at the grand opening of Enchanted Island Amusement Park.
The Valley celebrated the carousel's 50th birthday in 1998, when it was donated to the City of Phoenix as a permanent fixture at Encanto Park.

I found this article interesting as I thought Kiddieland had closed but I didn't understand the details.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I was in the castle immediately after the widow died. The underground room was where her bedroom was, no AC or swamp coolers. The 4 tunnels were like breeze ways and they were filled totally with old upright pianos and boxes of cigars, gifts to her publisher husband. The upper floors were filled with black dresses. I bought one of the pianos, a highly carved Wing & Son piano. There were tons of Indian baskets but I didn't know anything about them, probably worth a lot now.
I would have liked to see it when there was SOMETHING still there. It was totally empty when I was there. I had forgotten about the 4 tunnels but you're right! I do remember there were no coolers of any kind and wondered how they dealt with that!

Were they having an estate sale when you were there??

Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 PM

201 posts, read 545,493 times
A special thank you to the Valley of the Sun residents past and present that created the milestone this weekend of 50,000 personal reads. Never in my wildest dreams did I think there would be such interest in my memories, unique as some of them may be. Thank you fellow Phoenicians. You make everyone feel welcome.

Last edited by aviator7777; 07-17-2011 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I would have liked to see it when there was SOMETHING still there. It was totally empty when I was there. I had forgotten about the 4 tunnels but you're right! I do remember there were no coolers of any kind and wondered how they dealt with that!

Were they having an estate sale when you were there??
Yes, I was the first to get in the place before the sale started. There was also an old pool table, highly carved down in the bedroom. The widow had a very large stamp collection her husband formed; one night thieves walked in and stole it; I think it may have affected her mind after that. She only wore black dresses; there must have been hundreds of them in the upper floors.

Here is a postcard of Scorpion Gulch, not as impressive as the mystery castle but interesting.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sg.jpg

Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 AM

201 posts, read 545,493 times
Hey Roosevelt... where is Scorpion Gulch?? Never heard of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area