Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
In 78 there was a murder in an apartment in Scottsdale. Bob Craine from Hogan's Hero was murdered. He was involved in prono and other sleezy deals. In about 91 nine monks from a Budhist Temple were murdered as well. I remember that being my husband who works for the medical examiner worked on those cases in his first six months on the job.
There are lots of well-known murder cases in the Valley. I really don't think we need to discuss them in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Here is the Penney's I went to as a kid. There were wooden floors inside and a back entrance that led out to Central. I bought all my Levi's there. Penney's used to be at 3rd Ave. and Washington before, it was later the water department building. 3rd Ave. turned out to be too far away from the hot shopping district which evolved into 2nd Ave. to 2nd St. Kress is next door, interesting in that each store that Kress built was architecturally important. The photo below is before Kress remodeled their store. Newberry's went in next door to Kress and tried to also make a statement and was of Art Deco design (Newberry's remodeled the old Monihan Hotel on 1st Ave. and Washington.)
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-penney-co..jpg

Last edited by roosevelt; 07-29-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
In 78 there was a murder in an apartment in Scottsdale. Bob Craine from Hogan's Hero was murdered. He was involved in prono and other sleezy deals. In about 91 nine monks from a Budhist Temple were murdered as well. I remember that being my husband who works for the medical examiner worked on those cases in his first six months on the job.
Is Phil Keene still the Maricopa County ME?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Apparently not. I found a link to a recent article (sorry, this computer won't get to the link right now... having some issues) stating that he (it's Keen, BTW) had been demoted. Still works for the office.

Back to topic. And, if you want to discuss famous (or infamous) murders in Arizona/Phoenix history, let's take that to a separate thread. It's an interesting topic, there are people interested in that topic that may not want to weed through all the pages of this thread to discuss it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 PM

47 posts, read 152,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is the Penney's I went to as a kid. There were wooden floors inside and a back entrance that led out to Central. I bought all my Levi's there. Penney's used to be at 3rd Ave. and Washington before, it was later the water department building. 3rd Ave. turned out to be too far away from the hot shopping district which evolved into 2nd Ave. to 2nd St. Kress is next door, interesting in that each store that Kress built was architecturally important. The photo below is before Kress remodeled their store. Newberry's went in next door to Kress and tried to also make a statement and was of Art Deco design (Newberry's remodeled the old Monihan Hotel on 1st Ave. and Washington.)
Attachment 82983
I remeber there was a Kreskies (sp?) dime store that I used to shop on 16th street and Roosevelt next to a drug store. It was not an elaborate building. I wonder if that store was related to the stores Kress built.

Quote:
No, he is no longer there. He left about 4 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Apparently not. I found a link to a recent article (sorry, this computer won't get to the link right now... having some issues) stating that he (it's Keen, BTW) had been demoted. Still works for the office.

Back to topic. And, if you want to discuss famous (or infamous) murders in Arizona/Phoenix history, let's take that to a separate thread. It's an interesting topic, there are people interested in that topic that may not want to weed through all the pages of this thread to discuss it.
My husband really enjoyed working with him and would come home with the most interesting stories for the days work.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:14 PM

26 posts, read 65,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Terminal 2 opened in 1962, so it was 12 years old in 1974. Terminal 1 was demolished several years ago, replaced by a parking lot.
I was 10 years old at the time. I am not going to sit here and say that I was looking around for second terminal when the only thing that was in my face was a heat that I had never experienced before and that was the ONLY thing on my mind at the time.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:19 PM

26 posts, read 65,148 times
Quote:
***As an aside, the Petrified Forest at that time had chunks of that stuff laying all over the place and there were no restrictions on picking some of it up and taking it home. Now? The last time I heard, there isn't anything laying around and it's against the law to take it.***

LOL that's because all of our parents took some home in the '60's for our "Arizona landscaped" yards...along with cactus which was illegal even then to take. I always wondered why the cactus police or whoever was in charge of that didn't just drive down streets and stop at every house who had a front yard that was obviously "landscaped" with cactus and write out tickets. Homeowners couldn't exactly say, "Oh, these were growing here before we moved in." Not in my front yard anyway.
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the only cactus illegal to take is the Saguaro.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperRat View Post
I was 10 years old at the time. I am not going to sit here and say that I was looking around for second terminal when the only thing that was in my face was a heat that I had never experienced before and that was the ONLY thing on my mind at the time.
I wasn't posting to correct you, just filling in some history. You may very well have come in to Terminal 1, which was air conditioned, or Terminal 2--either way, you'd get that blast of heat stepping off the plane... I remember that heat blast too.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperRat View Post
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the only cactus illegal to take is the Saguaro.
I really can't answer that. At one time I was told that it was illegal to dig up any cactus...including those cute little baby ones that are used in the cactus dish gardens available at nurseries. I was going to make some at one time for gifts and a friend told me that harvesting was illegal...don't know officially tho.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM

285 posts, read 904,715 times
Quote:
I really can't answer that. At one time I was told that it was illegal to dig up any cactus...including those cute little baby ones that are used in the cactus dish gardens available at nurseries. I was going to make some at one time for gifts and a friend told me that harvesting was illegal...don't know officially tho.
Unless you or a close friend is an agriculturist, this list may be confusing (mildly speaking). Read under "CACTACEAE Cactus Family"
A.Highly Safeguarded Protected Native Plants

And as for protected plants and their restrictions
3-906 - Collection and salvage of protected plants; procedures, permits, tags and seals; duration; exception
3-908 - Prohibited acts; use of permits, tags, seals and receipts

State of Arizona is very serious in protecting its native plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area