Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 07:33 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The reality is there are some people on this thread that have selective ignorance. They want to explain away the problems in society as a 14 year old should know better and ignore that at least that kids partial poor parenting is because of societies racism and bias. To me at least, even in 2019, society biases help cause obvious inequities. I'm part of the problem too. I'm rounded up by society and never judged as harsh because I am a white male. And since I have a buck in my pocket, it is now much easier to win the game called life. No, I'm not a "liberal" (I've never voted for a Dem... yet). I don't have "white guilt" either. But the odds are now stacked in our families favor.
You sure sound like a liberal here, and you're playing the race card just like most bleeding heart types do. Quite frankly, the whole "racism & bias" argument has become stale, obsolete, and meaningless. I don't care what race or nationality the kid was, or what kind of upbringing he had. Doesn't matter one bit, nor should it matter. I grew up in a middle class area but was probably one of the poorer kids in school. We did without lots of extra things other kids had ... so because I felt so underprivileged, that should have excused me to go out, steal things, and get in trouble with the cops. You know what I did when I was 14 instead? Odd jobs around my neighborhood to keep busy and earn some money: painted fences, cleaned pools, mowed lawns, etc.

As a white male, I'm faced with more discrimination in 2019 than any female or so called minority. It's so prevalent in the workforce and in general society these days. So please don't give us this "privileged white male" nonsense, because that's exactly what it is: nonsense. And yes, any teenager (or younger) should know better than to steal, run from cops, or commit any kind of crime/violence against anybody. It's unfortunate he had to die like this, but in many ways it served him right. I hope it sends a message to others that some people won't tolerate this kind of behavior, regardless of who the perpetrator is.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
^”served him right” - Disturbed, evil, depraved comment to make about the death of a child.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You sure sound like a liberal here, and you're playing the race card just like most bleeding heart types do. Quite frankly, the whole "racism & bias" argument has become stale, obsolete, and meaningless. I don't care what race or nationality the kid was, or what kind of upbringing he had. Doesn't matter one bit, nor should it matter. I grew up in a middle class area but was probably one of the poorer kids in school. We did without lots of extra things other kids had ... so because I felt so underprivileged, that should have excused me to go out, steal things, and get in trouble with the cops. You know what I did when I was 14 instead? Odd jobs around my neighborhood to keep busy and earn some money: painted fences, cleaned pools, mowed lawns, etc.

As a white male, I'm faced with more discrimination in 2019 than any female or so called minority. It's so prevalent in the workforce and in general society these days. So please don't give us this "privileged white male" nonsense, because that's exactly what it is: nonsense. And yes, any teenager (or younger) should know better than to steal, run from cops, or commit any kind of crime/violence against anybody. It's unfortunate he had to die like this, but in many ways it served him right. I hope it sends a message to others that some people won't tolerate this kind of behavior, regardless of who the perpetrator is.
Thank you, Valley Native . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:02 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
White males (I'm one) know absolutely nothing about discrimination and prejudice. Idk why race is even an issue, it looks like a hispanic cop shot a hispanic kid. All I see from this storyis a pig murdered a punk kid because he was too lazy to chase him, probably ate too many donuts that morning.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:40 PM

603 posts, read 443,152 times
I’m a conservative and 2nd amendment supporter and a strong supporter of law enforcement normally.... going on the video alone and that’s all ....this one does not look good for the officer.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
You sure sound like a liberal here, and you're playing the race card just like most bleeding heart types do. Quite frankly, the whole "racism & bias" argument has become stale, obsolete, and meaningless.
I don't sound "liberal", rather, I should sound much more educated on the topic as compared to knee-jerk opinions. I try to examine studies and statistics versus assuming society reflects only my personal experiences. If you don't like to read, then a good place to start on this topic is by watching "Locked Up In America". It discuses incarceration and ONE reason why there are a Hell of a lot more blacks in jail. Or watch "Policing the Police". Being a C-D guy, it dives into the data. The exceptional show Locked Up in America discusses the motivation and bias of the entire system.

In AZ, our private prisons are highly motivated to be full. It's another reason why I like being a white male See https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/i...up-in-america/ . It will open your eyes wide.

As a side note, Frontline is a great series. If you have Cable or knows someone who does, download the PBS app on your AppleTV or DVD Player or any streaming device. Plug in the username and password for the Dish or Cable provider (I use my MIL), and watch it. That way, you can access all of the old Frontline episodes. So if you want to become 1000x more educated on why Iran hates Iraq (for instance) it will dive into the history of the topic. Go out of your way and watch them! It will change how you think about things. Often, they give counter agreements by interviewing counter agreements.

Quote:
so because I felt so underprivileged, that should have excused me to go out, steal things, and get in trouble with the cops. You know what I did when I was 14 instead? Odd jobs around my neighborhood to keep busy and earn some money: painted fences, cleaned pools, mowed lawns, etc.
We are talking about aggregates; not specific cases. So long as your parents and people around you were taught right from wrong, that's what matters. You could be dirt poor or filthy rich. If the people around you stole and you knew it was wrong, it becomes acceptable. It's why there are mass school cheating scandals at of all places, the Naval Academy or West Point see https://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/13/u...demy-exam.html. Or you can examine the culture of lying about corporate America. Like the era of massive accounting fraud by Authur Andersen and other firms during the Enron era.

I grew up poor as well. But my parents taught me right from wrong. I grew up in an area where people around me did the right things. So that was the culture we both grew up in. Therefore, being poor didn't matter as much.

Quote:
As a white male, I'm faced with more discrimination in 2019 than any female or so called minority. It's so prevalent in the workforce and in general society these days. So please don't give us this "privileged white male" nonsense, because that's exactly what it is: nonsense.
I understand what you are saying. You are cherry picking a factual movement where the pendulum has swung (too far) the other way; some in corporate America are now giving an edge to filling positions to females and minorities. But again, you are talking about YOUR situation and I am talking about aggregates. I'm talking about the entire picture: 7 out of 10 senior managers are still male Fortune 500: 7 in 10 Senior Executives Are White Men | Fortune . There is still a 10% pay gap between men and women (adjusted for child bearing factors). People still discriminate against gays, people of color, and women. I'm talking about as a whole, not what Valley Native sees in his world.

Think more critically. When you add it all up, do you really think that it is just a coincidence that blacks make 62% of the average white income? Because if there is no racism and their past recent history no longer matters, then you must conclude that white people must be smarter. I know better than that. To at least some MAGA hat wearers might believe it. Incomes of whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians in the U.S., 1970 and 2016

Or maybe the large differences are popping up in the date. Like the fact that since 1970, our prisons have increased by 700%. 1 in every 15 black man is in prison right now. So you think that we had a 700% increase in crime since 1970? Are there 21 times more blacks in jail than whites (adjusted for population ratios) because they commit crimes 21X more often? Or maybe, just maybe, there is a societal edge for being white because of the racism?

I can guarantee you that there are well oiled (non intentional) systems in place that gives whites advantages as well as people with money in their pocket. I'm a benefactor. My kids are benefiting too. I'll leave you with a story. In their younger years, our kids would cry "so-and-so got this or that and it isn't fair!" I've sat them down and explained the following: they best be careful what they wished for! Because "fair" means they get their turn living in severe poverty (less than $1000 per YEAR) in Niger or Sierra Leone or Congo. Or my daughter can take her turn living in Yemen where under 50% of the women can read. I'd explain "fair" meant they would eventually pop around the world and finally get to live in this great country. But unfortunately, their turn this time around would be to live in poverty with a single mom who is a prostitute. Both kids quickly realized that they have the deck stacked in their favor. They were dealt Aces, Kings, and Queens and they took advantage of that opportunity. Like you, I was dealt slightly lousier cards. Yet some are still dealt 2's and 3's. But just because we all know a person that came up from nothing (or p_ssed away the best opportunity) doesn't mean it makes a correlation. I'm talking about averages and correlations while you and others are talking about outliers.

You get my point. I think you are famous for a "Waa Waa Waa" comment. You are a white male living in America and now you feel a little wronged. Yep. Maybe a little. Multiply that by a 100 or 10,000 for other people walking the planet. Several billion people would swap spots with you right now. You are where you are wasn't exclusively because you mowed lawns or painted fences. I propose you more easily persevered because you factually have an edge of being a white, male, an American with moral parents. You don't have the same fight as others have. The fact that you cannot see that IMO makes your POV part of the problem. So there is a balance from being a..... What's the name calling? Oh, a "panzy snowflake liberal" and a careless "pick yourself up like a guy I know" MAGA over simplified POV.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 01-28-2019 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area