Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times

Advertisements

I'd be a lot closer to inviting him over than shooting him q in the back

Then again, I've actually engaged and worked things out with kids who have done me small wrongs.

I've had stuff stolen before by people I've known and by people I didn't

Sometimes a little understanding helps make a difference - Sometimes it doesn't

Either way, it's a flimsy argument because even if you wouldn't want to start a dialogue there are tons of stops between there and killing the kid by shooting him in the back ...... There is a wide spectrum of options here that don't involve a single person playing judge, jury & executioner

Old 01-24-2019, 11:49 PM

8,331 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Can't argue that those were some accurate shots. You could hear both hit their target.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Maybe the kid should've STOPPED when told to!

Everyone wants to play judge and jury here,woulda...coulda...shoulda, The point is if these dirt bags (yes he's a 14 year old dirt bag) want to go out and steal from someone else then be prepared to suffer the consequences! I have no remorse for someone who commits a crime and is then shot,especially a thief! They're very high on my list of scum. I along with I'm sure everyone else here works very hard for what they have and if someone thinks they're going to just help themselves to my stuff they'll suffer them safe consequences as this little dirt bag! Rant over....Flame away!
I have no love of thieves, nor do I have any appetite for creating "special" classes of citizens- a homeowner shooting someone in the exact same scenario, with the same evidence- would be in jail right now with a million dollar bail.

Anyone with an Arizona CCW permit has to be schooled in the law as part of getting that permit & shooting people in the back in an alley (in the daytime) isn't protected activity. Go to jail, bankrupt yourself mounting a defense & get sued civilly after for any remaining assets. <----- that's what happens to "civilians" who are trigger happy.

I'm pretty sure the same advice was passed along to this officer both in his military training and in cop-school.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Wrong! He was being a THIEF!

But I'm sure if this were your truck and he was stealing from you,you'd have invited him inside for a meal and sing kumbaya with him.
If I remember correctly, you work in the trades. I bet you engage in conversation and dine with past and present thieves, day in and day out. Do you wish some of your less-than-ideal colleagues dead too? When you were 14 and if you stole some bubblegum at the local grocery store, should someone have put a bullet in your back? Is that what you are advocating? If so, you have a lot of pent up anger. That's not healthy.

Listen, if someone was on my property and stole something, my initial machismo attitude would be that I'd LOVEto beat the crap out of them! Then the smarter part of my brain would take over. To me at least when I think about it longer, tells me that a 14 year old as the perp changes the narrative. It meant that he had lousy parents and he didn't chose his parents. Option 1 is for you to talk tough with him and his parents to hopefully make an impact. As in, let the parents know their kid is where he is because their less-than-ideal upbringing and what worked for you. That probably wouldn't help. But you could make a difference by volunteering for Big Brother Big Sister https://www.bbbs.org/ and mentor someone who can still be groomed.

Or default to your animal instinct with your trigger happy approach and exterminate that 14 year old. Bad parents or not; even if you maybe able to scare him (partially) straight.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:03 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If I remember correctly, you work in the trades. I bet you engage in conversation and dine with past and present thieves, day in and day out. Do you wish some of your less-than-ideal colleagues dead too? When you were 14 and if you stole some bubblegum at the local grocery store, should someone have put a bullet in your back? Is that what you are advocating? If so, you have a lot of pent up anger. That's not healthy.

Listen, if someone was on my property and stole something, my initial machismo attitude would be that I'd LOVEto beat the crap out of them! Then the smarter part of my brain would take over. To me at least when I think about it longer, tells me that a 14 year old as the perp changes the narrative. It meant that he had lousy parents and he didn't chose his parents. Option 1 is for you to talk tough with him and his parents to hopefully make an impact. As in, let the parents know their kid is where he is because their less-than-ideal upbringing and what worked for you. That probably wouldn't help. But you could make a difference by volunteering for Big Brother Big Sister https://www.bbbs.org/ and mentor someone who can still be groomed.

Or default to your animal instinct with your trigger happy approach and exterminate that 14 year old. Bad parents or not; even if you maybe able to scare him (partially) straight.

Whether I engage with people on a daily basis that are thieves is irrelevant because 1- How would I even know that they are and 2- They're not stealing from me. Now I wouldn't personally socialize with a known thief and no,I'm not advocating shooting someone in the back is right,it's not. But I have 0 tolerance for people who steal from others and like someone already said previously "play stupid games,win stupid prizes".

Now a days these kids think it's "cool" to be in a gang,go out and steal,do drugs etc., but at 14 he knows it's wrong to steal from others yet he chose to still do it. This wasn't taking a piece of gum off a store shelf,this was a B/E into someones truck. Again,I don't think shooting him in the back was justifiable but if you want to play these games,you must be prepared for the consequences. Basically neither one in this situation was in the right here and it is a tragic ending. And no I'm not an angry person,far from it. just someone who had had my share of stuff stolen and has no tolerance for thieves.

Now I have to head to work and analyze if my associates are past or present thieves.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Wrong! He was being a THIEF!

But I'm sure if this were your truck and he was stealing from you,you'd have invited him inside for a meal and sing kumbaya with him.
He was being a thief, but that's not why he got shot in the back. He got shot in the back for being a punk and running away. Neither one of these offenses warrants the death penalty, just in case you were unaware of that. You may think it's reasonable for a cop to be able to shoot a fleeing suspect of theft, but you are in a very small minority, thank God.

Last edited by duke944; 01-25-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

If somebody was on your property, your first reaction would be correct and legal in most circumstances. The "smarter part of your brain" analogy is nothing more than nerdy nonsense. What difference does it make how old the criminal is??? A 14 year old is certainly old enough to know right from wrong, regardless of who his parents are, regardless of who his friends are, and regardless of what kind of life he has. Do the crime, and face the consequences is the way it should be regardless of age, race, wealth, or whatever.

In the case of the kid who was shot by the Tempe officer: yes it's unfortunate his life was ended over what could be considered a petty crime ... however, I see it as a blessing in some ways. More than likely, he was on his way to a life of worse crime (petty crimes usually lead to more serious felonies). This is one less burden to society that our tax money will have to subsidize. Think of it as a form of population control and weeding out the bad seeds.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If somebody was on your property, your first reaction would be correct and legal in most circumstances. The "smarter part of your brain" analogy is nothing more than nerdy nonsense. What difference does it make how old the criminal is??? A 14 year old is certainly old enough to know right from wrong, regardless of who his parents are, regardless of who his friends are, and regardless of what kind of life he has. Do the crime, and face the consequences is the way it should be regardless of age, race, wealth, or whatever.

In the case of the kid who was shot by the Tempe officer: yes it's unfortunate his life was ended over what could be considered a petty crime ... however, I see it as a blessing in some ways. More than likely, he was on his way to a life of worse crime (petty crimes usually lead to more serious felonies). This is one less burden to society that our tax money will have to subsidize. Think of it as a form of population control and weeding out the bad seeds.
That's one heck of a reach and must be coming from one high, high horse. Many kids did dumb, petty crimes when young and turned out to be beneficial to society, and certainly not a burden. My friends and I used to steal candy bars and CDs from stores, hubcaps and hood ornaments off cars, smoke weed, etc. We were young, dumb and bored. We've all grown up to be productive members of society.

Thankfully we weren't executed for being dumb kids, only to be celebrated by someone with a false assumption of how we'd turn out. You can't draw the conclusion that killing this kid was beneficial to society. That's a pretty dark and evil way to think.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:08 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That's one heck of a reach and must be coming from one high, high horse. Many kids did dumb, petty crimes when young and turned out to be beneficial to society, and certainly not a burden. My friends and I used to steal candy bars and CDs from stores, hubcaps and hood ornaments off cars, smoke weed, etc. We were young, dumb and bored. We've all grown up to be productive members of society.

Thankfully we weren't executed for being dumb kids, only to be celebrated by someone with a false assumption of how we'd turn out. You can't draw the conclusion that killing this kid was beneficial to society. That's a pretty dark and evil way to think.
You were lucky that you weren't punished in a harsher way for doing what you did. If you and your friends did those kinds of things to me or my neighbors and were caught in the act, chances are you'd have some pretty serious injuries. Sorry to speak from a "high horse", but some of us didn't steal things and left other people's property alone. Some of us realized that doing things like that came with a hell of a risky consequence. I think it's safe to say that all of us (regardless of age) know right from wrong, even at very young ages. Thankfully, you turned out to be a productive member of society, but many others who did similar things didn't.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:13 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You were lucky that you weren't punished in a harsher way for doing what you did. If you and your friends did those kinds of things to me or my neighbors and were caught in the act, chances are you'd have some pretty serious injuries. Sorry to speak from a "high horse", but some of us didn't steal things and left other people's property alone. Some of us realized that doing things like that came with a hell of a risky consequence. I think it's safe to say that all of us (regardless of age) know right from wrong, even at very young ages. Thankfully, you turned out to be a productive member of society, but many others who did similar things didn't.
I'd bet that the vast majority committed some minor petty crimes when they were young. What about egging or TP'ing houses or other dumb pranks? Come on. Doing dumb things and making idiotic mistakes is part of growing up. Stating that the world would be better with kids that do such things dead is insane and twisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area