Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Look at the video which was released, and you'll see most everything you wrote turned out to be flat out wrong. Try using some facts next time.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ir/2617957002/
I don't get it, all I saw was a cop shooting someone in the back. At no point in the video is the officer's life in any danger whatsoever, at least that I can see. Just another cop getting away with murder.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, its never a good thing when someone gets shot in the back by law enforcement..
but, which has yet to be determined, is did that "kid" shoot at the cop first; if so, then he got what he deserved..if he did not shoot at the cop first, there is alot of explaining yet to come..
See my post above. Let's assume that it is a microphone of shoe scuffing noise. I will predict that the officer now will be able to take that "scuffing" sound and wrap a defense/rational around his decision. "I heard a gun shot!" Grey areas like these have helped people get off all kinds of crimes or events in the past.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
This article summarizes Tempe’s use of deadly force policy: https://www.abc15.com/homepage-showc...f-force-policy

Unless they are able to show that the suspect fired or pointed his weapon back at the cop, the officer is done.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The kid had an airsoft gun. That wasn't a gunshot at 1:13.
Again, if you were the officer, would you have known that it was an Airsoft gun?

The officer may have seen what looked like a gun on the suspect, heard the noise, and acted accordingly. We'll just have to wait and see what the investigation reveals.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:22 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Again, if you were the officer, would you have known that it was an Airsoft gun?

The officer may have seen what looked like a gun on the suspect, heard the noise, and acted accordingly. We'll just have to wait and see what the investigation reveals.
The officer was long past any personal danger. Here is how the law is interpreted:
Can police officers shoot at fleeing individuals?

Only in very narrow circumstances. A seminal 1985 Supreme Court case, Tennessee vs. Garner, held that the police may not shoot at a fleeing person unless the officer reasonably believes that the individual poses a significant physical danger to the officer or others in the community. That means officers are expected to take other, less-deadly action during a foot or car pursuit unless the person being chased is seen as an immediate safety risk. Read https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...leeing-suspect

Here is how I expect it to play out. The officer will say that the person being chased was seen as an immediate "safely risk to the community". That is because he heard a "shot" (my theory is a scuff was heard only while listening to the video) and he therefore felt compelled to shoot at the victim.

The victim family will sue and get a settlement. Cut, paste, repeat.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:24 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Understood. I got the feeling that NDak15 was justifying the end result.
No worries...I feel like the point that what this kid was running away with in his hand looks exactly like an actual handgun rather than a toy seems to be getting missed. I know quite a few Airsoft Hitters that (in-advisably) remove the orange tips from their toys so that they look more "realistic"...I recall seeing the picture of this one and I seem to remember the orange tip being intact...but it would be hard to see from the distance the officer was from the suspect.

This is just a horrible situation and unfortunately, just my opinion of course, the video seems to show an inappropriate use of deadly force. This is obviously a layman's observation so it really doesn't mean anything but if it goes to trial, the jury will be made up of non-experts so...

Old 01-24-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

No, of course the officer wouldn't know whether the gun was real or not in the heat of the moment. I think it's only fair to assume that the weapon was the real deal. The point is, the sound heard in the video was not a gunshot at all. The suspect didn't have a real gun and that's not the sound of an airsoft.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No, of course the officer wouldn't know whether the gun was real or not in the heat of the moment. I think it's only fair to assume that the weapon was the real deal. The point is, the sound heard in the video was not a gunshot at all. The suspect didn't have a real gun and that's not the sound of an airsoft.
You're leaving out the fact that this kid was committing a crime (breaking into a vehicle), which is why the police were involved. He ran away from the cops, which led to the ending of his life. If he had cooperated, he would have still been alive. I realize there are cops who are trigger happy and make bad decisions, but in the big picture I think we need to give them a break. They're out there responding to crime scenes and having to confront violent criminals on a regular basis. Put yourself in this officer's situation. Would you have handled it any better?

Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You're leaving out the fact that this kid was committing a crime (breaking into a vehicle), which is why the police were involved. He ran away from the cops, which led to the ending of his life. If he had cooperated, he would have still been alive. I realize there are cops who are trigger happy and make bad decisions, but in the big picture I think we need to give them a break. They're out there responding to crime scenes and having to confront violent criminals on a regular basis. Put yourself in this officer's situation. Would you have handled it any better?
He was stealing crap out of an unoccupied truck in an alley. That certainly does not warrant a death sentence, nor does running from the police. The only way this shooting is excusable is if he was an imminent threat to the officer's or a bystander's life. The fact that he was running AWAY seems to suggest that not to be the case. What is there to argue with?

Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
That justifies their death?
If you're as stupid as he was I have no sympathy. It all goes back the very simple acts of not breaking the law and don't me what the officer tells you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area