Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
These incidents have 2 basic solutions:
1 Obey the laws.
2 Obey the officers commands.
Yes. I don't know why that's so hard for people to understand. I'm almost 38 years old and have never had run ins with cops because I followed those two simple rules.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yes. I don't know why that's so hard for people to understand. I'm almost 38 years old and have never had run ins with cops because I followed those two simple rules.
Let me guess - you're white.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 AM

268 posts, read 216,232 times
Much respect for individuals that choose to be cops but it brings much responsibility and a high standard. I always wonder why they don't give cops to options so if a person is fleeing that can use some type of a taser instead of just killing them.
Like many have said if many just would obey the laws and cops commands none of this would be a problem but that is not the reality of the world, unfortunately.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
If a cop says "Stop" and "Show your hands" it's advisable to follow those simple directions. If you refuse, you deserve to get shot.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 AM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The correct word for someone who is fearful is "coward", not hero. Hero is the opposite. Here is a list of synonyms for the word "heroic". Note that fear is not on the list, though fearless is. I believe that if someone is fearful, then they are not a hero. There is nothing wrong with that. I have my own fears, but I'm not a hero, and I'm not claiming to be one. We need to stop deluding the word "hero".

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/heroic#
A lot of people disagree with your stance on this. A lot as in basically everyone.

https://washingtonsblog.com/2012/06/...that-fear.html

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-20-2019, 08:08 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If they are in fear, then they don't fit the definition of hero. It's that simple. We need to stop watering down the meaning of the word hero. Somebody is not a hero, just because they put on a uniform.
So are you telling me that those who were in the towers during 911 helping others are not considered a hero? Because I bet most if not everyone of them were in fear and scared $!#@less!

Maybe you should put on the uniform and go out on the streets and see what they encounter on a daily basis. When someone points a gun at you and you only have a split second to react are you going to be able to tell if that gun is real or fake? How about we start holding parents liable for the kids dumb mistakes? Are there bad cops...sure there are. Are there good parents who's kids just turn out bad...Yes. But a 14 year old should know better than to point a gun at a cop.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
And let the race-baiting begin!

Old 01-20-2019, 08:30 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
A lot of people disagree with your stance on this. A lot as in basically everyone.

https://washingtonsblog.com/2012/06/...that-fear.html
No, not "everyone" & just because a myth is popular doesn't make it a fact. Police unions have made lots of hay discussing how "dangerous" a cop's job is, but it's not even in the top ten most dangerous occupations based on reality.

Roofers and farmers are brave - women who work at 24-hour gas stations alone & unarmed are brave. People who repossess TV's for rent-a-center are brave. I read a survey not long ago that stated that the *average* ER nurse gets physically assaulted once a year - and not one of them carries a gun or a taser at work.

Funny how many who hate unions and claim to dislike big nanny-state government, highly-paid paper-pushers & mediocrity in general slurp up the kooky-aide regarding cops & vilify anyone who disagrees with the mythology of sheriff joe & his roid-raging gang of thugs who have pissed away half-a-billion dollars in taxpayer funds in civil-settlements & outright graft in recent years.

If you manage to step back & rationally assess the facts regarding our system of law-enforcement in the current time, it's not hard to reach the conclusion that we're occupied by a "standing army" that is accountable only to themselves, as they're the ones allowed to investigate crimes committed by themselves.

Across the country, they murder, pillage & plunder with impunity- seizing more assets than all other criminals combined- not even accounting for the hefty salaries they collect while doing so.

Just because they haven't abused you *yet* doesn't mean they won't get around to you eventually. Remember, this is effectively a gang of low-intellect bullies & thugs - so they seek out the vulnerable first. Minorities, youth & low-income folks, with a heavy-helping of "undesirables" - the mentally ill, those they can accuse of unpopular crimes - like "druggies", "johns" & the like. The abuses are well-documented & go all the way back to Miranda(and beyond) , which happened right here in Phoenix.. - does that make you proud?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
So...if you are of a different ethnicity you should NOT obey the laws and NOT follow a LEO's orders? I don't understand what your skin tone has to do with whether or not you have to comply with the law?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 AM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
No, not "everyone" & just because a myth is popular doesn't make it a fact. Police unions have made lots of hay discussing how "dangerous" a cop's job is, but it's not even in the top ten most dangerous occupations based on reality.

Roofers and farmers are brave - women who work at 24-hour gas stations alone & unarmed are brave. People who repossess TV's for rent-a-center are brave. I read a survey not long ago that stated that the *average* ER nurse gets physically assaulted once a year - and not one of them carries a gun or a taser at work.

Funny how many who hate unions and claim to dislike big nanny-state government, highly-paid paper-pushers & mediocrity in general slurp up the kooky-aide regarding cops & vilify anyone who disagrees with the mythology of sheriff joe & his roid-raging gang of thugs who have pissed away half-a-billion dollars in taxpayer funds in civil-settlements & outright graft in recent years.

If you manage to step back & rationally assess the facts regarding our system of law-enforcement in the current time, it's not hard to reach the conclusion that we're occupied by a "standing army" that is accountable only to themselves, as they're the ones allowed to investigate crimes committed by themselves.

Across the country, they murder, pillage & plunder with impunity- seizing more assets than all other criminals combined- not even accounting for the hefty salaries they collect while doing so.

Just because they haven't abused you *yet* doesn't mean they won't get around to you eventually. Remember, this is effectively a gang of low-intellect bullies & thugs - so they seek out the vulnerable first. Minorities, youth & low-income folks, with a heavy-helping of "undesirables" - the mentally ill, those they can accuse of unpopular crimes - like "druggies", "johns" & the like. The abuses are well-documented & go all the way back to Miranda(and beyond) , which happened right here in Phoenix.. - does that make you proud?
Nothing in that ready made rant against cops applies to or disproves what I posted: that bravery is NOT an absence of fear as Cloudy Dayz keeps saying.

This concept applies to everyone, not just cops. From the soldier in battle to the average joe who witnesses a traumatic event and decides to help. If you’re not afraid, there is something else going on in your head which very few people experience, about 5% according to Colonel Grossman who is an expert in the field of human response to violence.

Hate on cops all you want, I wasn’t commenting on that portion of this discussion. My mind will never be swayed in that regard.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area