Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 AM

132 posts, read 517,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This place has zero identity or noteworthy heritage. Of course it's become increasingly difficult to criticize the natives because everybody is from someplace else. Somehow I managed to miss the brainwash kool-aid concession at Sky Harbor when I got off the plane.

I encourage you simpleton's and apologists to keep defending your strong position. Sun, fake breasts and golf sure seem like deep benefits to laud....
give me a break.

"Valley of The Sun" and like nicknames are impressive. I always wonder which sharpie coined them.
Not that I agree with you, but WHO CARES!!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 PM

47 posts, read 198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Hey Dazgaz! Good to see you back. I'm with you...I need to come home! Wonder which of us will get out of the UK and back to AZ the quickest,

Some of us from these forums are planning to have a get together once hubby and I arrive. Maybe you and your wife will consider joining us for a fabulous steak dinner
Cheers Cyanna. My Son got his visa today, so he's off to AZ in July. I hope to follow soon after. We'll keep in touch and look forward to the steak

Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazgaz View Post
Cheers Cyanna. My Son got his visa today, so he's off to AZ in July. I hope to follow soon after. We'll keep in touch and look forward to the steak
That is wonderful news, Dazgaz! Hopefully we'll arrive not too long after you do, cross fingers! In the meantime, keep a night open on your calendar for that steak

Old 05-18-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnStepford View Post
This place has zero identity or noteworthy heritage....
What??? Have you ever bothered to read about the history of Arizona? If you had you would know about the rich heritage shared by the Native Americans, Spaniards, Mexicans, Whites and Blacks who helped to settle and develop the state AND manage to thrive.

Heritage is defined thusly...
  • cultural legacy or tradition passed on within a community from one generation to another.
  • aspects of culture that are inherited from earlier generations of a nation.
  • those places, objects and indigenous languages that have aesthetic, historic, scientific or social significance or other special value for future generations as well as for the community today.
  • is a broad concept that encompasses our Natural, Indigenous and Historic or Cultural inheritance.
  • the culture, property, and characteristics of past times

Now take a good look around the State of Arizona. The Hohokam, Hopi, Navajo, Pima, Maricopas, Pimas, Papagos, Yumas, Yavapais, Tontos, Pinals and Apache have all left their names on the land of Arizona, as well as their heritage. Some of the earliest farming of maize was carried out in the State, as well as early irrigation. Have you failed to see the canal system in the Phoenix area? From A.D. 600 to 1450, the prehistoric Hohokam constructed one of the largest and most sophisticated irrigation networks ever created using preindustrial technology. By A.D. 1200, hundreds of miles of these waterways created green paths winding out from the Salt and Gila Rivers, dotted with large platform mounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnStepford View Post
Sun, fake breasts and golf sure seem like deep benefits to laud....
You could also be describing California, Florida and many foreign resorts with those comments. There are lots of places that have more fake breasts, golf and sun than Arizona does.

Last edited by Cyanna; 05-18-2007 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM

29 posts, read 88,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everis20 View Post
Yeah maybe there is not alots of culture, but I lived in New York City for a bit, and learned that too much culture can stink. Everyone is in their own little clans, and its hard to be accepted anywhere, unless your Jew, Domican, or Black, or White, its so annoying , even the clubs are sererated like that, at least in Phoenix, all the cultures come together as one, all throughout the valley, instead of seperating themselves, see NYC and other big cities are third-world in away because of their seperation of races and culures, Phoenix has it all, but joined together in a more modern civilized way. Im a native of Phoenix, and I used to think God, New york i so cool, so I moved there, and I reallized how laid back and cool Phoenix is, how sucky it would be too live where people are sepreated on different blocks of the city by Class and Race, I hope you understand and can reconsider your opinion in a more open minded approach.
all cultures coming together as one? hmmmm ... if you mean cougars and frathead comingling in various scottsdale meatmarkets. as for the half of the population that lacks citizenship and speaks another language - well, I guess they really are invisible to you.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 PM

81 posts, read 362,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
[*]Dust does not cause brilliant sunsets. If it did, certain cities like New York and Mexico City would be on top of the list, and they are not. Actually, clean air is best for the best sunsets.
you obviously have never seen a sunset over the hudson.
Maybe it's the pollution?

From http://web.bryant.edu/~langlois/ecol...pollution.html
"The Hudson River is the thirty-third most polluted river in the United States."

Old 05-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
all cultures coming together as one? hmmmm ... if you mean cougars and frathead comingling in various scottsdale meatmarkets. as for the half of the population that lacks citizenship and speaks another language - well, I guess they really are invisible to you.
As I remember it, when I lived in Mesa many people of different cultures, races and colors enjoyed celebrating together at events like Cinco de Mayo and the yearly Native American Pow Wow. Funny how people can put aside their differences when it comes to a celebration. I have also seen people of different cultures working together, living next to each other and socializing with each other. They shop in the same grocery stores, their children attend school together. Sounds like co-mingling to me.

As for those who lack citizenship and speak another language...at least they aren't "bombers." Don't get me wrong, I know that uncontrolled numbers of illegal immigrants from "across the border" are a drain on the system in many ways and I do not condone it. But at least for most of them their main interest is to work and support their families and NOT to blow up the United States. They have the right motives but their desperation compels them to do things illegally. As an American living in a foreign country (and trying to escape it!) I can fully sympathise with their desire to live in the greatest country in the world. If things are so bad and intolerable in England how must it be to live in Mexico? Dislike the illegal act but don't hate the people. Try to put yourself in their place.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:11 PM

13 posts, read 45,709 times
Smile I love AZ

I arrived at SkyHarbor 2 weeks ago tomorrow.
I love being with family.
I love the weather,
I love the friendly people.
I love the blue sky.
I love the occasional clouds.
I love the gentle breeze.
I love seing the planet Venus.
I love Arizona

Old 05-19-2007, 12:59 PM

I hate Phoenix because of all the different genres of music you can get on the radio and the excellent concerts offered. I far prefer turning on the radio and finding nothing but Pop, Pop and MORE Pop! Nothing in the world like being limited to listening to music that makes your brain want to implode on itself. Its pretty bad when you have to run and pay for your own radio station to please yourself and others who like rock, classic rock and country.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:03 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I hate Phoenix because of all the different genres of music you can get on the radio and the excellent concerts offered. I far prefer turning on the radio and finding nothing but Pop, Pop and MORE Pop! Nothing in the world like being limited to listening to music that makes your brain want to implode on itself. Its pretty bad when you have to run and pay for your own radio station to please yourself and others who like rock, classic rock and country.
Well, maybe. But it is hard finding a station that broadcasts in English anymore and I do hate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area