Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 06:21 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Complaining about sweaty women? How funny!

Hey Bud, if you are with a woman and she ain't sweaty, then you are not doing your job but then again your 'inflatable' date does not sweat, right?
For some reason the image of the Inflatable Alien they used to sell at Castle Boutique just popped into my head, LOL!

With the regaling of all the hateful things about Phoenix you folks are making me even more homesick. Its becoming intolerable! I think once I arrive back on American soil in the Phoenix area I'll have to host a big "Glad to be back in the USA" Party for everyone, LOL!

Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
I don't hate it. I love it.

But the Phoenix haters who have said they have a right to express their opinions are 100% correct. Have at it. I hope the contributors to this thread can stay focused on the negative aspects of the city and surrounding communities and not cloud the discussion with rosy, optimistic, happy thoughts. I have no intentions of interjecting any defensive comments.

I hope the moderators will not delete this thread. There are so many negative comments throughout this forum that I seriously think it would be beneficial to have one thread for prospective residents to come to and find out all there is to dislike about this soulless, barren wasteland .
Phoenix is very dry and barren and REALLY hot. I liked the winters in Phoenix, the good wages, and the farily low cost of living. I visisted it out there and rather liked it, despite the insane heat (at leats it is dry, unlike the muggy FL where I live).

What I do NOT like is the throngs of illegal aliens commiting all sorts of atrocious crimes, drug dealers who jump the border daily for selling drugs, and the illegal guns that come from Mexico. That is bad about Phoenix.

I am GLAD Maricopa county sheriff is busting up illegals. It is about time someone gets something done!!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
What I do NOT like is the throngs of illegal aliens commiting all sorts of atrocious crimes, drug dealers who jump the border daily for selling drugs, and the illegal guns that come from Mexico. That is bad about Phoenix.

I am GLAD Maricopa county sheriff is busting up illegals. It is about time someone gets something done!!
I couldn't agree with you more on that!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 AM

Since we seem to have a Statistics and Surveys Junkie maybe it would be helpful to state a few obvious points.

Statistics are not accurate. This is a fact! Take a look at the census, which enumerates the United States population. What many do not know is that the census is also supposed to include those Americans who live abroad, yet for over the last 20 years most Americans who do live abroad have NOT been enumerated. Therefore, government statistics of the true number of American citizens is INACCURATE. Americans living abroad still retain the right to vote, and each registered voter who actually votes is also supposed to be listed in voter statistics. However, most of us who are living abroad and who have voted have been told that our ballot responses were either never received or not counted! Therefore, the voter statistics are INACCURATE! Every year or so statistics are collected city-by-city to determine crime rates. But, these figures cannot be, and never will be, ACCURATE. Why? Becuase it is not being taken into account the number of crimes that go unreported. If crime is particularly bad in an area with high rates of retribution against those who report it, well, it just is not going to be reported! So in reality, areas with a far higher rate of crime may actually show up as having lower crime than other cities where crime is more regularly reported.

I have to question which statistical year is being used to "prove" the supposed high crime rates in the Phoenix area. This is what I've found just for 2006...

This one lists only ONE Arizona city, and it is in the SAFEST cities column.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/30/real...ties/index.htm

Yet this one has a different list, also for 2006
http://jobsanger.blogspot.com/2006/0...-rate-for.html

According to Money, these are some of the best places to live:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...states/AZ.html

Regarding surveys, these are generally created for a very specific purpose. How many people have created a poll or survey as a method of proving their own point or opinion? Those who create surveys already have an agenda and they target households or individuals based on things like mailing lists, buying history, etc... So any survey respondant is already going to be inclined to respond in a way that the survey creator expects. If someone wishes to create a survey which proves their opinion that a certain area has high crime or is bad to live in they will target those who have either been victims of crime in that area or have made complaints about other issues, such as quality of life, etc...

When it comes to so-called surveys about the overall "quality of life" one has to question what life experiences the respondants are basing their opinions on. Someone who has spent their entire life in Boise, Idaho cannot make an educated or knowledgable comparison on the quality of life in Newark, New Jersey or Liverpool, England. However, someone who has lived in the Phoenix area of Arizona as well as certain regions of the UK can indeed give an educated and knowledgable comparison based on PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, and NOT on mere statistics and surveys. If you survey 100 middle-class Brits in the UK who have never left the UK even for holiday and then 100 middle-class Americans living in the UK I can pretty much guarantee that most of the Brits will be happy with their quality of life while the majority of Americans will find it less than satisfactory. If you only have one television and have never in your life had more than one, you will most likely say your quality of living is good. If, however, you were used to having a medium or large television in every bedroom plus the living room and find yourself suddenly having to make do with one small television, you will say that your quality of life is below standard. A large percentage of Brits do not own or drive cars and are used to walking or taking the bus. This is normal and is not considered a negative impact on their lives. But take away an American's car and life for them is really going to suck! Its all a matter of personal experience and nothing whatsoever to do with engineered surveys.

Last edited by Cyanna; 04-18-2007 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 10,026 times
Default Which AZ are you on about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's too bad people have to live in that aweful, polluted dust trap. It's not surprising though. Many people on this site love sprawly, endless cookie cutter housing developments, strip malls, Apple Bee's and 10 lane freeways.
!?!?! Huh? AZ must have changed a hell of a lot since I was there! 10 lanes?! Where? Cookie cutter housing? Again, where? I saw huge differences street to street, block to block.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison Dwaarf View Post
!?!?! Huh? AZ must have changed a hell of a lot since I was there! 10 lanes?! Where? Cookie cutter housing? Again, where? I saw huge differences street to street, block to block.
Not 10 lanes; TWELVE LANES, six in each direction. US60 in Mesa.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:05 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Not 10 lanes; TWELVE LANES, six in each direction. US60 in Mesa.
Is that true? That is a big highway, I mean bigger than the freeways in OC for crying out loud and you guys still have traffic problems?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:07 PM

The beauty of driving on the Freeways and surface streets in Phoenix (or the USA) is that there is plenty of room between lanes. No having to pull over to the side of the road to make room for someone coming from the opposite direction, LOL! I think UK streets are still the same width that they were when the Romans made them

So, there's another reason to hate the Phoenix area, too much space between lanes when driving

Last edited by Cyanna; 04-20-2007 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
The beauty of driving on the Freeways and surface streets in Phoenix (or the USA) is that there is plenty of room between lanes. No having to pull over to the side of the road to make room for someone coming from the opposite direction, LOL! I think UK streets are still the same width that they were when the Romans made them

So, there's another reason to hate the Phoenix area, too much space between lanes when driving
I know what you are talking about. After years of driving in wide US roads when a few friends visited their home town, they were too scared to drive a car there because of how the roads looked and how wacky the people drove (if you can even call it driving in Europe). In some countries/roads finding a line separating the lanes is almost a miracle!
You have to use the 'Force'!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I know what you are talking about. After years of driving in wide US roads when a few friends visited their home town, they were too scared to drive a car there because of how the roads looked and how wacky the people drove (if you can even call it driving in Europe). In some countries/roads finding a line separating the lanes is almost a miracle!
You have to use the 'Force'!
TurcoLoco, it is an absolute nightmare. I don't use the "Force." I just refuse to drive here. I have nightmares about getting stuck going round and round at one of those stupid things they call a "round about." I did drive in Scotland once, but that was on a very quiet road in the early evening and my nerves could only take it for about 20 minutes. I was in constant fear that someone would end up coming from the opposite direction and I would end up in the Irish Sea while trying to give them room to get past, LOL! I won't go into the wacky drivers, other than to say I have no idea HOW they manage to pass a driving test.

Oh, how I long for an Arizona highway or surface street. Once we get back home I'm going to be happily driving all over the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area