Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 48,301 times

Advertisements

Yes Phoenix sucks, please everybody let's leave. Newport Beach, CA, here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I love Phoenix!!!

The best shopping and best weather in the whole world.

I love the big malls and movie complexes. They are so nice. The weather is nice too. I mean REALLy nice. Why would anyone want to live anywhere else? They are supid. I was born and raised here and would never want to leave. The women here are the best. They may not read much, but they work out at least four times a day - and it shows, trust me. There is great culture in Phoenix, contrary to what the naysayers may say. There is Diamondbacks, Coyotes and Cardinals - all three are available! And some clubs in Scottsdale that are the coolest. Far better than New York. I feel sorry for all the losers who live in colder bigger cities with other things.

I heard Jenifer Aniston bought a place in Scottsdale. This confirms that we are the coolest.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA Oh boy, heaven help Phoenix.

Phoenicians, behold the future of your city.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 9,175 times
I have to say the heat has not affected anyone's sense of humor - you people are hysterical!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:15 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
I have to say the heat has not affected anyone's sense of humor - you people are hysterical!
As the great Jimmy Buffett sings, "If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane."

Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 AM

26 posts, read 139,079 times
I hate the fact I'm not there. :'(

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flite View Post
I hate the fact I'm not there. :'(
Me too There's so much to hate about the area and I am being left out of all the hateful stuff

When I get back there I am so going to HATE having to deal with doctors who are so stupid they believe there are bones in the human hand or that cough syrup will cure lung cancer! Who ever heard such a silly thing? We need to send a few UK doctors over there to set them straight

Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 PM

53 posts, read 201,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswines View Post
Great points Britt! I've only vacationed in Phoenix and let me tell you, it was nothing like New York City, San Fran or even Chicago!!

Oh yeah, did I mention that it was hot? Well, it was!

How do people possibly live in such a culture-less waistland? What else could there possibly be to do other than Broadway shows and shopping in overpriced boutiques? Does Phoenix even have a Chinatown or Little Italy? I doubt it!!!!

Obviously, there are many reasons why nobody wants to live in Phoenix.

</sarcasm>

No we don't but we have daily drive by shootings and a thousand Little Mexicos (oh wait those are suburbs) if you are into that type of thing. And I really almost fell off my chair when someone mentioned 'sunsets'. You mean all that dust clouding the sun? That sunset.. the dust that carries Valley Fever. Yeah - that's what I'd be outside sitting in. Well better that than 118 degree heat gridlocked in the middle of the freeway for a few hours. But each to their own poison and if people LIKE living here I don't think any of them can apply for a hand gun permit. Just because they are all certifiable - they just haven't gotten to court yet. Geez - this is the biggest dump of a state in the union. Any state that is 53RD out of 50 states in mental health CAN NOT BE DOING A VERY GOOD JOB OF IT.. Oh and as for schools... least we forget that parents are taking their kids out in droves because of the over crowding etc.. Yeah - if you ever think you don't appreciate the state you come from, come to AZ for a few years and see that a brown landscape with no water and the lock on the most illegals in the US has to offer. Home (where ever it may be) will never look so good when you go back to visit.. or move if your smart.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,096 times
Ooooo! Ooooo! I'm one of the two or three other people who mentioned the BEAUTIFUL sunsets in Arizona. You know, those wonderful things you claim are brought about by pollution? I do remember some basic science from my years in school many moons ago and I was slightly suspicious that your claims were rubbish. If it were true who in their right mind could ever again enjoy these sunsets you so despise! So....
  • There are colorful sunsets everywhere in the world, but the deserts and the tropics are particularly noted for the wonderful, bright colors of their sunsets. Why is that? Is it pollution? Is it cloud formations? Is it beings from other planets shining flashlights downward?
  • Dust does not cause brilliant sunsets. If it did, certain cities like New York and Mexico City would be on top of the list, and they are not. Actually, clean air is best for the best sunsets.
  • Sunlight is composed of a spectrum of colors that ranges from violet and blue at one end to orange and red on the other. At sunrise or sunset, sunlight takes a much longer path through the atmosphere than during the middle part of the day. More violet and blue light is scattered out of the beam along the way, and so the light which reaches the human eye early or late in the day is reddened. So the conclusion is that sunsets are red because the daytime sky is blue. (Please don't ask me why the sky is blue.)
  • Pollution softens the sky's colors, because the particles of dust and dirt are scattered and are of varying sizes, so the wavelengths sunlight of light passing through the particles are mixed. This lets us see muted tones, more middle of the spectrum.
  • The best sunsets occur when there are at least a few high clouds. Higher clouds are hit by the sun's rays before they pass through the lower atmosphere, where the air has more particles. So the bright reds and oranges are filtered through at the high cloud's level.

Source:
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/clipartp...blazsunset.htm

Another interesting extract...

"So what about this "pollution makes it pretty" idea? Where did this supposed truism -- this extremely urban myth -- come from? Well, as usual, there's that kernel of truth in this misinformation.

Only when particles are thrown very high into the atmosphere by a volcano does the "pretty pollution" effect occur. The reason: At that height, the particles help bring out the longer-wavelength reds, pinks and oranges in sunlight. In a way, the particles get in the way of the shorter-wavelength blues.

So, why would people infer -- or at least be willing to believe -- something negative is behind something so positive? Is it something about the modern American psyche? Something deeply ingrained in human nature?

Sonja Lyubomirsky, an award-winning University of California-Riverside psychology researcher, says it's both modern and ingrained.

In recent years people have grown increasingly worried about pollution, she said. When they see a pretty sunset, they see it as a silver lining, a bit of comfort about a bad thing -- pollution. It's a coping mechanism.

"People are remarkable as far as how well they're able to turn negatives into positives," Lyubomirsky said."

Complete article source:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/302342_sunset03.html (broken link)

So, can people go back to enjoying their sunsets now?

Oh yes, I am perfectly sane, too!

I think it comes down to this...Arizona is not a State for the weak, wimpy or easily discouraged. It takes strong people who can live in such a challenging place and meet the challenge pretty much every day with a smile on their face. Pretty admirable in my humble opinion and worthy of some rspect. I can't wait to get back

Last edited by Cyanna; 05-07-2007 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Me too There's so much to hate about the area and I am being left out of all the hateful stuff

When I get back there I am so going to HATE having to deal with doctors who are so stupid they believe there are no bones in the human hand or that cough syrup will cure lung cancer! Who ever heard such a silly thing? We need to send a few UK doctors over there to set them straight
There are a couple types of cough syrup that will make you not care if you have cancer. (The best prevention for cancer has always been and always will be good genes.)

Is it EVER going to warm up? Global warming my a**! Where are the triple digits?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,959,816 times
I really hated not having to shovel my driveway and drive in ice and snow. I really missed my fingers and toes being numb from the freezing cold. I just hated not having to bundle up in my Winter coat and boots with extra thick socks. I just hated wearing my sandals almost all year round. I hated being able to sit in my spa and enjoy a glass of wine on Winter nights. The things I had to put up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area