Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,526,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorterraPhil View Post
When I go to Mesa or Gilbert or Scottsdale it feels like I'm in San Diego for some reason, it just feels more alive and upbeat. While the west side like Glendale and Surprise feels very slow and less stuff to do in general.
What makes it "feel very slow" to you? I guess I also don't understand the "less stuff to do in general" comment. I suppose in theory there is slightly more to do on the east side, but per-square-mile, east side or west side, it's all about the same.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
What makes it "feel very slow" to you? I guess I also don't understand the "less stuff to do in general" comment. I suppose in theory there is slightly more to do on the east side, but per-square-mile, east side or west side, it's all about the same.
I was a little surprised by that too. I'll grant Scottsdale - that is the metro entertainment district, but Gilbert or Mesa? I think Glendale has more going on than either of those two with Westgate, downtown and the ball parks. I can't imagine going to to Gilbert or Mesa for a night on the town.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 PM

18 posts, read 42,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was a little surprised by that too. I'll grant Scottsdale - that is the metro entertainment district, but Gilbert or Mesa? I think Glendale has more going on than either of those two with Westgate, downtown and the ball parks. I can't imagine going to to Gilbert or Mesa for a night on the town.
I don't mean like night life, but the East side just appears more like California since to me it has more trees/grass/lakes and seems more "green" then the west side. Also, there's more restaurants and shopping centers like Kierland Commons, Desert Ridge, Scottsdale Quarter, Arizona Mills, Chandler Fashion, Superstitions Springs, and not to mention ASU campus with Mill Ave. While the West side just has Westgate, Arrowhead, Metrocenter, and Desert Sky with Metro and Desert Sky slowing dying out it seems.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
"Just" Westgate and Arrowhead? Westgate's a pretty active place, and I was just out along Bell Road by Arrowhead last night... there's a lot more out there than I remember from when I used to have family out that way. Every kind of shopping, all sorts of restaurants. I remember when there was literally nothing there......

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,249,956 times
yep - and plenty for the population

also with places like verrado, estrella, the tres rios preserve, murphy park in glendale, areas like union hills road through arrowhead, most of surprise and many other parts of the west valley I really don't think there is a comparative lack of trees, water, etc

Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorterraPhil View Post
I don't mean like night life, but the East side just appears more like California since to me it has more trees/grass/lakes and seems more "green" then the west side. Also, there's more restaurants and shopping centers like Kierland Commons, Desert Ridge, Scottsdale Quarter, Arizona Mills, Chandler Fashion, Superstitions Springs, and not to mention ASU campus with Mill Ave. While the West side just has Westgate, Arrowhead, Metrocenter, and Desert Sky with Metro and Desert Sky slowing dying out it seems.
The closest any community comes in all of Phoenix metro to having a [southern] California feel is Verrado in Buckeye (west valley). If having that feel is important, then that's the place to be.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times
Quote:
I agree with you somewhat. I don't consider Mesa to be any different. In fact, I prefer most of the West Valley to Mesa so let's get that out of the way. When I think of East Valley, I think of Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe and South Scottsdale.

I lived in Arrowhead, 85308 to be more precise so I was in a very nice area that was proximal to the entertainment areas and yuppy restaurants like North. I wasn't too far from WestGate either.

What felt slow or less "big city" to me were the following

1. Younger Population - there is a significant number of Snowbirds on the West Side. I would know because I practice there once every two weeks. Being proximal to Sun City, Sun City West, Arrowhead and Surprise, it's definitely an older population

2. Less Educated Population - People seemed less educated, less well traveled and less exposed in general. Most of the technology and engineering jobs are in the East Valley. ASU is in the area. The University of Arizona is going to establish a campus in Chandler. In the West Side, we have family that are vegetarian and it always an issue ordering in the West Side because you could tell, they had little experience with vegetarians there. In the East Valley, they are much more accomodating to vegetarians and vegans.

3. Lack of Choice of Restaurants and Upscale Restaurants - this was a big thing with me. There were some really good restaurants in the area but they were limited. We used to eat at Touch of Thai on 35th and Bell and that was good but the East Valley has a lot more Thai, Indian, Chinese, Korean and other ethnic restaurants which I like. There were not a lot of trendy restaurants in general. In the East Valley, there are too many to name. Chandler has a ton of Asian and ethnic restaurants. There are also a lot more mom n pop restaurants. There is no Benihana on the West Side.

4. Lack of Upscale Shopping - There is little to any upscale shopping on the West Side. There is no Apple Store for example on the West Side but there are 3 in the East Valley. Arrowhead Mall pales in comparison to Chandler Mall and San Tan Village with regards to upscale stores. There was no Banana Republic, Sephora, Nordstrom or Anne Klein among other things. There are a lot more luxury car dealerships in the East Valley. There is no Audi dealership on the West Side for example.

5. No Upscale Nightlife - The East Valley has nice lounges, wine bars and upscale bars but you see little if any in the West Side. And until West Gate was completed, there was no night life in the West Side unless you considered going to a sports bar like McDuffies or Fox n the Hound night life. And even West Gate is more about touristy loud kind of bars.

5. University Setting/ASU - Tempe having ASU really provides an edge. Having the ammenities of a campus of one of the largest universities in the country in your backyard is huge with regards to events, restaurants, bars everything.

6. Better Schools - the public schools in Chandler, Gilbert and Tempe outclass anything on the west side.

7. Crime - My car insurance was hundreds of dollars more being in 85308 versus 85226. When I asked my agent why it costs so much more in this zip code and the answer was simple "CRIME" a lot more of it. There were a lot more auto thefts in 85308 which is considered an upscale area of the West Side. There was always crime in that area including the nice areas. If you watch the news, the shootings are almost always in or proximal to the West Side. That's not to say the East Valley doesn't have it's share of crime because it does but on a nightly basis, more often than not the crime is mostly concentrated on the West Side. There are more drop houses, and meth on the West Side than any area in the Valley.

I would never venture to the West Side aside from going to a Cardinals or Coyotes game and even when we do that, we will usually eat on the way home in the East Valley as opposed to eat somewhere after the game in the West Side because there is more choice and selection in the East Valley.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-06-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree with you somewhat. I don't consider Mesa to be any different. In fact, I prefer most of the West Valley to Mesa so let's get that out of the way. When I think of East Valley, I think of Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe and South Scottsdale.

I lived in Arrowhead, 85308 to be more precise so I was in a very nice area that was proximal to the entertainment areas and yuppy restaurants like North. I wasn't too far from WestGate either.

What felt slow or less "big city" to me were the following

1. Younger Population - there is a significant number of Snowbirds on the West Side. I would know because I practice there once every two weeks. Being proximal to Sun City, Sun City West, Arrowhead and Surprise, it's definitely an older population

2. Less Educated Population - People seemed less educated, less well traveled and less exposed in general. Most of the technology and engineering jobs are in the East Valley. ASU is in the area. The University of Arizona is going to establish a campus in Chandler. In the West Side, we have family that are vegetarian and it always an issue ordering in the West Side because you could tell, they had little experience with vegetarians there. In the East Valley, they are much more accomodating to vegetarians and vegans.

3. Lack of Choice of Restaurants and Upscale Restaurants - this was a big thing with me. There were some really good restaurants in the area but they were limited. We used to eat at Touch of Thai on 35th and Bell and that was good but the East Valley has a lot more Thai, Indian, Chinese, Korean and other ethnic restaurants which I like. There were not a lot of trendy restaurants in general. In the East Valley, there are too many to name. Chandler has a ton of Asian and ethnic restaurants. There are also a lot more mom n pop restaurants. There is no Benihana on the West Side.

4. Lack of Upscale Shopping - There is little to any upscale shopping on the West Side. There is no Apple Store for example on the West Side but there are 3 in the East Valley. Arrowhead Mall pales in comparison to Chandler Mall and San Tan Village with regards to upscale stores. There was no Banana Republic, Sephora, Nordstrom or Anne Klein among other things. There are a lot more luxury car dealerships in the East Valley. There is no Audi dealership on the West Side for example.

5. No Upscale Nightlife - The East Valley has nice lounges, wine bars and upscale bars but you see little if any in the West Side. And until West Gate was completed, there was no night life in the West Side unless you considered going to a sports bar like McDuffies or Fox n the Hound night life. And even West Gate is more about touristy loud kind of bars.

5. University Setting/ASU - Tempe having ASU really provides an edge. Having the ammenities of a campus of one of the largest universities in the country in your backyard is huge with regards to events, restaurants, bars everything.

6. Better Schools - the public schools in Chandler, Gilbert and Tempe outclass anything on the west side.

7. Crime - My car insurance was hundreds of dollars more being in 85308 versus 85226. When I asked my agent why it costs so much more in this zip code and the answer was simple "CRIME" a lot more of it. There were a lot more auto thefts in 85308 which is considered an upscale area of the West Side. There was always crime in that area including the nice areas. If you watch the news, the shootings are almost always in or proximal to the West Side. That's not to say the East Valley doesn't have it's share of crime because it does but on a nightly basis, more often than not the crime is mostly concentrated on the West Side. There are more drop houses, and meth on the West Side than any area in the Valley.

I would never venture to the West Side aside from going to a Cardinals or Coyotes game and even when we do that, we will usually eat on the way home in the East Valley as opposed to eat somewhere after the game in the West Side because there is more choice and selection in the East Valley.

I guess that's one person's perspective....

Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,487,888 times
3. It's gotten a bit better the past few yrs.
4. Two Apple stores. Both at 75th and Bell. One is in the mall and the other is across the street in Peoria.

I agree with most everything else you say.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times
Quote:
The closest any community comes in all of Phoenix metro to having a [southern] California feel is Verrado in Buckeye (west valley). If having that feel is important, then that's the place to be.
I'm from Los Angeles and I moved to Chandler because it felt more like "Cali" than any other city in the Valley. It has grass, trees and lakes. Ethnically, it's much more diverse with a large Asian population which is consistent with Southern California. Politically, it is very socially liberal here which is pretty consistent with California. The way the neighborhoods are set up here with large parks, and bike lanes also reminds me of Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area