Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 08:43 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times

Advertisements

Narduzzi finished yesterday with pretty good. Ultimately, he'll need to do even better, but it's a good step. If he can build on last year and win beyond what's now expected, then things will continue to move forward.

This comment and this thread is not an invitation for people who want to take every opportunity to say "same old Pitt"

Please add those a thread dedicated to such things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:54 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
So what's your prediction for wins for the upcoming season?

Old 02-04-2016, 04:41 PM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
Was Pitt ever seriously considered for the Big Ten? I honestly think they should have been the 12th school, before Nebraska once ND was off the table. Comprehensive research university (and AAU member), great BBall, "decent" (with a lot of potential) football, decent sized TV market, geographic fit, cultural fit. And, then, if he B1G went to 14, add Mizzou and Nebraska.

Though, I'm sure PSU admin was probably against it even though it might have been a great conference rivalry.

I understand why the Big Ten did what it did - going after untapped and substantial media markets, but, again, Pitt should have at least been on the table, no? Would Pitt have even been interested? Is it happy in the expanded ACC?

Old 02-04-2016, 05:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
in the 40's yes, but Ohio State did not want them in at the time due to recruiting in PA and Michigan State went instead.

Its not nearly as good of a fit as the ACC is. Locations easily trump the big 10, but more importantly most of the Big 10 is giant land grant universities where Pitt is a smaller localized urban school along the likes of GT, Miami, BC, even Duke to an extent.

Plus now its all about markets, and big 10 has PA already.

Great BBall, "decent" football is obviously an interpretation that I don't agree with. Both are about equal with each other at this point, one is trending up, the other is treading water.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
in the 40's yes, but Ohio State did not want them in at the time due to recruiting in PA and Michigan State went instead.

Its not nearly as good of a fit as the ACC is. Locations easily trump the big 10, but more importantly most of the Big 10 is giant land grant universities where Pitt is a smaller localized urban school along the likes of GT, Miami, BC, even Duke to an extent.

Plus now its all about markets, and big 10 has PA already.

Great BBall, "decent" football is obviously an interpretation that I don't agree with. Both are about equal with each other at this point, one is trending up, the other is treading water.
Pitt Football and Pitt basketball are not comparable. Pitt football has not even closely shared the success of Pitt basketball over the years. Pitt football has been treading water for many years. Hopefully that changes as its been a long time since they've been any real significance.

What's your prediction for Pitt football wins this upcoming season?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:27 AM

It makes sense to be in the Big 10 to an extent, but the ACC is a better fit overall.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
The ACC is a much better place for Pitt. Pitt would become Purdue in the Big 10. You just can't hope to really compete long term with OSU, and Michigan. Some of the schools have benefited from Michigan's struggles the last decade, but that's over now. Those big state schools just have too much of an advantage over Pitt.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM

977 posts, read 567,924 times
The B10 never would have wanted Pitt anyway. It's all about TV penetration into markets. The B10 already had Penn State, which delivered the TV penetration into the Pittsburgh Metro TV market. Pitt would have given the B10 no more TV penetration than they already had with Penn St. It made much more sense for the B10 to add Rutgers and Maryland, giving them penetration into the DC and NYC metro areas that was lacking. It also made sense for the ACC to add Pitt since the ACC had no penetration into the Pittsburgh market.

That's also the real reason WVU has to travel to Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas for it's away games. The B10 had PSU, the ACC had Pitt. Those conferences had no need for WVU, since WVU would have added little in terms of TV market penetration. The B12 had no presence in this area, so adding WVU made sense for them (and they were desperate to add decent football programs since Nebraska and Texas A&M were bolting).

Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 AM

While there is always speculation, I've noted for a long time that the Big 12's instability will mean it dissolves in some fashion... at some point. I'm bringing this up because of previous history on the topic.

Big 12 Expansion - The Beginning Of The End?

Quote:
One former member of Oklahoma State’s athletic oversight committee suggested the Power 5 conferences could realign into four 16-school conferences instead.

“To me, I think the Big 12 just needs to die. I think we’re going to see four 16-team conferences and the Big 12 ends up on the chopping block. It’s the most easily poached. Look at our history. We’re the easiest to split up, easiest to divvy out.”
Updated: As I noted above, I'm sharing this in context of historical conference discussions as it relates to not just the Big 12, but it's domino effect.

This is NOT about being more concerned about it vs Pitt's tasks at hand

Last edited by JoeP; 05-18-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 11:47 AM

I'm more concerned with Pitt not getting any of the 4 WPIAL players that committed elsewhere...and it looks like Jurkovev committed to ND.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh