Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
According to what ever records there are Bush completed his service, no one will be able to prove otherwise since the records are destroyed. Based on interviews with people he supposedly served with and the entire history only the truly naive would believe that he actually served his time as was required. I am kind of surprised that his father allowed this since he was a true war veteran.

Kerry did have a student deferment, nothing unusual there he actually enlist edin the naval reserve serving on active duty for 4 years. He faced hostile fire in his time in Vietnam regardless of your opinion regarding purple hearts he could have been killed. We can’t say the same for Bush yet the right seems to want to prop him up as the more honorable of the two.

Relative to Iraq there is enough blame to go around relative to the lack of debate and the approval of both sides of the aisle but President and his staff were at the head of the debate. Almost all the reasons you cite for going into Iraq make me wonder why we didn’t choose North Korea, WMD’s, refusing inspections and a total mad man at the helm. So didn’t the white House make the case for North Korea?

The debate rages on in the end because Bush entered into the longest war in US history sending soldiiers off to die while he made sure that he would never be in that position.
Because there was no money to be made in Korea, and plus that would not have been an easy win Cletus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can you document that during the Vietnam era? I don't recall that being the case. It would seem if that were the case it wouldn't have taken daddy pulling strings to join the guard.
At that time it depended on the unit, some were more vernable to deploy. I imagine that states with less influence were the first to go, Texas not being one of them.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This is still news or should have any interest to anyone????? What was Obama's military service? Why is he sending soldiers to fight in Afghanistan if he has none???? What was Clinton's???
Simply b/c if it was handle correctly in the first place he would not have had to. Due to the grandstanding by an ex-officer(?) who if he would have completed his training would have known better how to manage the troops in the first place.

Obama never pretended to be in the military and than acted liked he knew what he was doing.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM

If Bush would have sent the correct number of troops to afghanistan in the first place instead of taking advantage of the money he and his cronies made in Iraq there would not be a need to send anyone to afghanistan now.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
At that time it depended on the unit, some were more vernable to deploy. I imagine that states with less influence were the first to go, Texas not being one of them.
Actaully as i remmeber it in WWII the Teaxas guard was called up and so mnay were loss in the Italian cmapign congress made a specail rule on their service to be called up in future wars. It mean that they had to be called up not as individual units i vietnam. That might noe =w have eben chanegd but there was a articloe back then when it ws thought they would be for vietnam.No matter what I do not abject to any service really. I think we now see many serving thsi country very well. I have to just want ho iof a draft is goign to be need in teh futre with the minumum numbers we are askign to be redeployed tiem and again. Certainly now few are serving the country compared to any time.I always say if someone wants to critise serve the they should go join upo;then talk;no matter what branch.Whe i hear such things i alwsy say that the military does not allow dummies to fly their jets.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Actaully as i remmeber it in WWII the Teaxas guard was called up and so mnay were loss in the Italian cmapign congress made a specail rule on their service to be called up in future wars. It mean that they had to be called up not as individual units i vietnam. That might noe =w have eben chanegd but there was a articloe back then when it ws thought they would be for vietnam.No matter what I do not abject to any service really. I think we now see many serving thsi country very well. I have to just want ho iof a draft is goign to be need in teh futre with the minumum numbers we are askign to be redeployed tiem and again. Certainly now few are serving the country compared to any time.I always say if someone wants to critise serve the they should go join upo;then talk;no matter what branch.Whe i hear such things i alwsy say that the military does not allow dummies to fly their jets.
True, but there is a certain type of skill and intelligence needed to fly certain aircraft. The worst pilots fly the least used planes. WW1 and II are the last true justifiable wars that the average American citizen were eager to join b/c there was a clear cut threat unlike the following wars(?) and conflicts. Are you sure that it was the Guard and not the Reserves? There is a difference between the two. The Guard is funded by the state and can be called up by that governor. The Reserves can only be called up by the President and is funded federally

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Does it strike anyone as being that of all of the people that served during that time that Bush's record turned up missing? Normally anyone who served in the military keeps a copy of their military records for themselves. Why would'nt he? Unless he realized his military service was crap and he (or his daddy) seen a political career in the near future for him.

So tell me how many of you who are defending his military career actually served? And if you did how do you really feel about his time in the military?

Fellow military members have you thought about how can someone serve 5-6 and only achieve the rank of 1st Lt?

How do you feel about his supposely missing records? Don't you really think that is more than just coindence?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Does it strike anyone as being that of all of the people that served during that time that Bush's record turned up missing? Normally anyone who served in the military keeps a copy of their military records for themselves. Why would'nt he? Unless he realized his military service was crap and he (or his daddy) seen a political career in the near future for him.

So tell me how many of you who are defending his military career actually served? And if you did how do you really feel about his time in the military?

Fellow military members have you thought about how can someone serve 5-6 and only achieve the rank of 1st Lt?

How do you feel about his supposely missing records? Don't you really think that is more than just coindence?
Wasn't he a Yaley bean counter when he joined up?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:

Naval Aviation.

Records? Don't have a clue where they are, haven't need them for years. Mrs. NBP put them somewhere for safekeeping and can't remember where.

1st LT. Maybe not real unusual for an ANG officer making clear he's leaving at the end of his initial 6. Why use up a Captain slot for someone who's leaving?

He flew F 102s, a notoriously cranky plane. Training was 2 years of active duty to get wings. Credible sources have him flying more than required in years 3 and 4. You know plane driving isn't something you just pick up after a multi-month break. You bury pilots that way.

What records are missing? The Dan Rather phonied up ones?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Was it your interest to find the truth - or just an arguable defense?
i try to find the truth.

hey goodnight, nice try at chopping up my quote, but next use the whole quote as thus;

Quote:
for instance i believe that john kerry used every loophole to get out of vietnam service early, and there is evidence that at least one of his purple hearts was awarded for no good reason, BUT i still accept that kerry served in vietnam honorably, and that the military felt he deserved his purple hearts, and thus i accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies