Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
Does anyone have any input on motorcycle gangs? I mentioned that one awhile ago, yet nobody said anything about it. Those are the predominately adult ones I've seen that commit the same acts of gang violence that the street gangs do. My mom's late cousin was involved in a motorcycle gang. He died right before he was about to get sentenced for running a meth lab.
While yes, the motercycle gangs commit many of the same types of acts of violence, the literature behind them and what they were originally created for were completely different.

My God Father was a hells angel and was murdered by the hells henchmen.

Last edited by rhawkins74; 07-31-2010 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
The problem with that is that youth centers cost money. Programs cost money. And money is the one thing that we don't have. And the people that do have it don't want to "waste it" on inner city schools since history has shown that throwing money at them doesn't produce results.
You're right. I'm actually more in favor of mentoring programs than youth centers. Youth centers still require security and protection or what's stopping the gangs from taking over?

I prefer mentoring because it give the child a chance to see first hand that there is life outside of what they know.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:11 PM

7 posts, read 10,321 times
Quote:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Next let's see if we can figure out what to do about motorcycle gangs because I consider them to be in the same category as street gangs. They're into the drug trafficking, prostitution, and racketeering business.[/FONT]
What do you know about MC's?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 PM

453 posts, read 457,674 times

I know a little about hell's angels. My mom's cousin was one, and so were some of his friends. I also know about them based on what I've seen on that show Gangland on the History Channel. I never really grew up around them like I did the street gangs, but what I do know is that the biker gangs are definitely a force to be reckoned with, too.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:15 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:

I know a little about hell's angels. My mom's cousin was one, and so were some of his friends. I also know about them based on what I've seen on that show Gangland on the History Channel. I never really grew up around them like I did the street gangs, but what I do know is that the biker gangs are definitely a force to be reckoned with, too.
I will just say this about gangland, while there is some great information on this show, some of the things they report are incorrect. Most of it no, but some is.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
long before we knew about the Bloods and the Crips, we heard about the outlaws mc and the Mob they all use the same tools, Guns and Dope.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM

313 posts, read 406,839 times
Quote:
For once you and I are in agreement. I mentioned the assimilation process not necessarily because of kids living in the ghetto, but it's because that's where the bulk of most gang violence occurs. I commend your wife for having two degrees and becoming a productive member of society. I'm also glad you are working on this problem, too. I hope she is, too, because your missus sounds like someone who can set a great example.

I've tried diligently to be color-blind, believe me. I dated a black woman once, as I mentioned. She was ambitious, but she got ostracized by her peers for "acting too white." Luckily, the Asian woman I'm seeing now hasn't faced that problem. To move past stereotypes, we also must understand that black people who don't act like hoodlums shouldn't be scorned by others for "not acting black enough." That's where I mentioned they're their own worst enemy.

As far as the youth centers are concerned, I'm very much in favor of those. The other person ATLater mentioned there aren't enough of them. He's right about that. The problem with our society is that nobody wants to spend the tax dollars to solve these problems. They expect someone else to do the deed. I wrote a thread about that one in fact. Now, I'm wondering if the real problem is the drug war because I imagine half these violent crimes are drug-related. I'm going to post a thread about that one soon. You're all welcome to come add your two cents in if you so desire.
Well, thank you... and yes, I do help also, but rhawkins has the greater knowledge when talking to the kids that are already in gangs, so that is area. For me it is more letting people from my old neighborhood see where I have came in life, which allows them to see that they can achieve what they want out of life if the choose to do so.

I will also like to add, I never got the being told that I didnt act black enough, or I was trying to be white thing. Well, except for from my brothers when they were trying to aggravate me....lol. About the closest thing I ever get from that, is people that are shocked when meeting me in person after talking to me on the phone, because they for some reason think I am white...lol

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post

Our point of view is, why not look at people on an individual basis, instead of lumping everyone together as one.
Lumping everyone together--- gangs lumped themselves together. They define themselves as criminal. Can we all get on the same page about criminals or are you going to spend this thread running down any racist hint as a full time profession?

Meanwhile kids are dying.

Parents need to stop them before they get into gangs. Boystown has a good track record and I suppose local communities could just use that model in non denominational format.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
About the closest thing I ever get from that, is people that are shocked when meeting me in person after talking to me on the phone, because they for some reason think I am white...lol
I get that a lot too

Old 07-31-2010, 09:35 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Lumping everyone together--- gangs lumped themselves together. They define themselves as criminal. Can we all get on the same page about criminals or are you going to spend this thread running down any racist hint as a full time profession?
That's easy to say when you're not the one being told that you and just about everyone you know is "wrong"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies