Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 PM

453 posts, read 457,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
He is talking about the fact that I said something about how his solution was to take every kid that lives in the ghettos and send them to a special school over 1000's miles away to make them assimilate.

I didn't see you or any of my other critics have any suggestions to this whole thread. All you're doing is trying to butcher everything I've said that you don't agree with. You're not gaining any sympathy from me because you're black, and I don't feel guilty about being white, either. The only minorities in America I feel pity for are the Native Americans. They had a raw deal, and so did the Jews.

If you and Natalay whats-her-name can offer suggestions about actually teaching black people to be responsible and getting rid of gangs, then please share something. The other two people at least had something valid to say when they mentioned Jaime Escalante, youth centers, and mentors. Maybe you could add some input on that instead of dancing around the racial issue all day long.

And as far as assimilation is concerned, my whole idea entailed breaking them of gang behavior and teaching them how to be responsible. It's about teaching them to be model citizens. You may think it's similar to the Carlisle Institute, but I consider it more along the lines of proper tutelage. Guidance may be the quintessential key that helps break the pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post

I didn't see you or any of my other critics have any suggestions to this whole thread. All you're doing is trying to butcher everything I've said that you don't agree with. You're not gaining any sympathy from me because you're black, and I don't feel guilty about being white, either. The only minorities in America I feel pity for are the Native Americans. They had a raw deal, and so did the Jews.

If you and Natalay whats-her-name can offer suggestions about actually teaching black people to be responsible and getting rid of gangs, then please share something. The other two people at least had something valid to say when they mentioned Jaime Escalante, youth centers, and mentors. Maybe you could add some input on that instead of dancing around the racial issue all day long.

And as far as assimilation is concerned, my whole idea entailed breaking them of gang behavior and teaching them how to be responsible. It's about teaching them to be model citizens. You may think it's similar to the Carlisle Institute, but I consider it more along the lines of proper tutelage. Guidance may be the quintessential key that helps break the pattern.
I was actually the one who said something about youth and mentors...I guess you missed it while you were reading my mind, huh? Or maybe it's all these colors you keeps using....I know it's hurting my eyes

Old 07-31-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I was actually the one who said something about youth and mentors...I guess you missed it while you were reading my mind, huh? Or maybe it's all these colors you keeps using....I know it's hurting my eyes
Actually that was the person with the alias Peacecat to whom I was crediting. Maybe that's another one of your profiles, but that's neither here nor there. That person isn't trolling this thread whomever it is.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Actually that was the person with the alias Peacecat to whom I was crediting. Maybe that's another one of your profiles, but that's neither here nor there. That person isn't trolling this thread whomever it is.
No actually it was me since Peacecat said nothing about mentors or youth programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacecat View Post
You want to slow down and damage the gang problem? Then decrease poverty. Decrease poverty by providing excellent education. Take a peek at Harlem Children's zone. They have a webpage.

Another one: Anyone remember Garfield High School in East L.A.? A high school on the verge of losing accredidation and full of future criminals and gangs. All of the experienced Garfield teachers said those kids couldn't learn algebra let alone calculas. However, the dynamic and magnetic Jamie Escalante proved otherwise, and he did it in a very short time. I heard the man speak way back in 1990 and he was absolutely charismatic, but he expected a lot from his students. He believed in them, their abilities, and didn't cut them slack.

You want to deminish gangs? Demand excellence in the inner city schools.
So you were talking about my post but now that I've said something you don't like you're going to pretend that you're not....right...it's ok though you don't have to admit...I can read

Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:

trust me, I don't want any sympathy from you. I don't need sympathy from anyone. And why would you feel guilty about being white?

The thing is, I don't just offer up solutions, I actually volunteer and educate gang members about what the gangs originally stood for. I educate them about the perils of leading the road they are heading.

I look at them as individuals and try to find out what it will take to get them back on the right path.

I understood what you meant by the assimilation, and I wouldnt of had a problem with that, except for the fact that you wanted to include all kids that are living or growing up in the ghetto.

I know very well that a person can grow up in the ghetto, and still become a great success. My wife is one of these people. She grew up in one of the worse areas of chicago. She graduated from the inner city school system. But, she has 2 degrees, getting ready to go back to school and go for another. She has never been on welfare, she don't speak in ebonics etc...

You think I am not working to help with this problem with what I type in the thread, but the truth of the matter is, the actual problems will never be able to found or reached, if so many people are holding on to stereotypes. One has to move past the stereotypes to be able to find the solution.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,136 times
Quote:
trust me, I don't want any sympathy from you. I don't need sympathy from anyone. And why would you feel guilty about being white?

The thing is, I don't just offer up solutions, I actually volunteer and educate gang members about what the gangs originally stood for. I educate them about the perils of leading the road they are heading.

I look at them as individuals and try to find out what it will take to get them back on the right path.

I understood what you meant by the assimilation, and I wouldnt of had a problem with that, except for the fact that you wanted to include all kids that are living or growing up in the ghetto.

I know very well that a person can grow up in the ghetto, and still become a great success. My wife is one of these people. She grew up in one of the worse areas of chicago. She graduated from the inner city school system. But, she has 2 degrees, getting ready to go back to school and go for another. She has never been on welfare, she don't speak in ebonics etc...

You think I am not working to help with this problem with what I type in the thread, but the truth of the matter is, the actual problems will never be able to found or reached, if so many people are holding on to stereotypes. One has to move past the stereotypes to be able to find the solution.
My sister-in-law is one of those people too. Grew up in a project in Detroit. Father died of cancer when she was three and her mother worked as a bus driver. She wouldn't deserve to be shipped off to some school with a bunch of gangbangers simply because she was poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
True. But when they won't get that at home does society have an obligation to feel the void?
Should we have more youth centers available?
Should there be more programs?
More mentors?
Or is it a personal problem that can only be fixed by personal responsibility?
The problem with that is that youth centers cost money. Programs cost money. And money is the one thing that we don't have. And the people that do have it don't want to "waste it" on inner city schools since history has shown that throwing money at them doesn't produce results.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Where I grew up in Houston was overrun by gang violence. Several inner city problems overlapped into the neighborhood. My folks and I later moved out when things got out of hand. Eventually, we relocated to Austin because the school system was superior to that of Houston. Now there are gangs moving here like cockroaches. I'm sure the powers that be think demolishing the housing projects and crack dens and replacing them with condominiums, golf courses, and country clubs is the answer. That's what happened to the Wards in Downtown Houston, and all they did was relocate the problems. Nevertheless, gentrifying the ghetto is a waste of time and money.

For awhile, I thought we should line them all up and shoot them or gather them onto ships and dump them into the ocean so the sharks can gobble them up because half of them will never be productive members of society anyway. However, that would be considered un-American. The judicial system is a revolving door because they usually revert to their old habits after they get out of jail, prison, or juvenile hall because most of them have no education or job skills. Basically, we must tackle the root of the problem to break the perpetual cycle. I don't know if that entails sterilizing every welfare queen who keeps squirting out babies like toasters, castrating deadbeat dads knocking up everything that moves, or the National Guard patrolling ghettos.

Perhaps legalizing drugs, gambling, and prostitution would flush out most of these problems. It's a complex enigma that's been ignored too long when Memphis now has 300 gangs. Meanwhile, we're worried about what's going on in the Middle East that's out of our hands. The real war on terror is here on our own soil in the inner cities when these parasites wreak havoc on innocent civilians day in and day out. I read somewhere that a lot of them are even joining the military now and getting combat training. That part is most unsettling. Much of this I blame on rap and hiphop, but I imagine the problem goes deeper than that. What shall we do about our gangs in America?
They've disqualified themselves from civilization.

Toss them on a gigantic hamster wheel generating electricity for the rest of their lives.

I also like the idea of dumping them in a compound of national forest/ badlands of SD. Maybe they'll figure out what survival is with their bare hands. Maybe they'll figure out how good they had it. Maybe they'll even make it past winter. Likely they'll just reassemble tribes, kill each other off, and leave the rest of us out of their BS.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
They've disqualified themselves from civilization.

Toss them on a gigantic hamster wheel generating electricity for the rest of their lives.

I also like the idea of dumping them in a compound of national forest/ badlands of SD. Maybe they'll figure out what survival is with their bare hands. Maybe they'll figure out how good they had it. Maybe they'll even make it past winter. Likely they'll just reassemble tribes, kill each other off, and leave the rest of us out of their BS.
This would have to be an ongoing process because as quickly as you eliminated all the current gangs new ones would spring up and if 50 years or so we'd be right back where we are now...or are children

Old 07-31-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:

For once you and I are in agreement. I mentioned the assimilation process not necessarily because of kids living in the ghetto, but it's because that's where the bulk of most gang violence occurs. I commend your wife for having two degrees and becoming a productive member of society. I'm also glad you are working on this problem, too. I hope she is, too, because your missus sounds like someone who can set a great example.

I've tried diligently to be color-blind, believe me. I dated a black woman once, as I mentioned. She was ambitious, but she got ostracized by her peers for "acting too white." Luckily, the Asian woman I'm seeing now hasn't faced that problem. To move past stereotypes, we also must understand that black people who don't act like hoodlums shouldn't be scorned by others for "not acting black enough." That's where I mentioned they're their own worst enemy.

As far as the youth centers are concerned, I'm very much in favor of those. The other person ATLater mentioned there aren't enough of them. He's right about that. The problem with our society is that nobody wants to spend the tax dollars to solve these problems. They expect someone else to do the deed. I wrote a thread about that one in fact. Now, I'm wondering if the real problem is the drug war because I imagine half these violent crimes are drug-related. I'm going to post a thread about that one soon. You're all welcome to come add your two cents in if you so desire.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 PM

Does anyone have any input on motorcycle gangs? I mentioned that one awhile ago, yet nobody said anything about it. Those are the predominately adult ones I've seen that commit the same acts of gang violence that the street gangs do. My mom's late cousin was involved in a motorcycle gang. He died right before he was about to get sentenced for running a meth lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies