Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:32 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
How many times have you heard of a shooter pleading down to a weapons charge, I don't know if the NRA lobby is responsible for making a weapons charge and offense you can get off on without serving a lot of time, but IMO carrying an unlicensed gun should be a federal offense punishable by a mandatory long sentence in a federal pen. Most crime in the US stands out in the world because of our tolerance for unlicensed weapons .
Only problem with this, is regulation on licensing isnt governed by the Federal Government. It is regulated at the state level. Some states require licensing and registration, others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
Where I grew up in Houston was overrun by gang violence. Several inner city problems overlapped into the neighborhood. My folks and I later moved out when things got out of hand. Eventually, we relocated to Austin because the school system was superior to that of Houston. Now there are gangs moving here like cockroaches. I'm sure the powers that be think demolishing the housing projects and crack dens and replacing them with condominiums, golf courses, and country clubs is the answer. That's what happened to the Wards in Downtown Houston, and all they did was relocate the problems. Nevertheless, gentrifying the ghetto is a waste of time and money.

For awhile, I thought we should line them all up and shoot them or gather them onto ships and dump them into the ocean so the sharks can gobble them up because half of them will never be productive members of society anyway. However, that would be considered un-American. The judicial system is a revolving door because they usually revert to their old habits after they get out of jail, prison, or juvenile hall because most of them have no education or job skills. Basically, we must tackle the root of the problem to break the perpetual cycle. I don't know if that entails sterilizing every welfare queen who keeps squirting out babies like toasters, castrating deadbeat dads knocking up everything that moves, or the National Guard patrolling ghettos.

Perhaps legalizing drugs, gambling, and prostitution would flush out most of these problems. It's a complex enigma that's been ignored too long when Memphis now has 300 gangs. Meanwhile, we're worried about what's going on in the Middle East that's out of our hands. The real war on terror is here on our own soil in the inner cities when these parasites wreak havoc on innocent civilians day in and day out. I read somewhere that a lot of them are even joining the military now and getting combat training. That part is most unsettling. Much of this I blame on rap and hiphop, but I imagine the problem goes deeper than that. What shall we do about our gangs in America?
It most certainly goes deeper than just music. Music comes from situations. Not the other way around. If the American people had some hope of a LIVABLE wage, the idea of gangs and drugs would definitely decrease. DECREASE is better than nothing. And no matter how scary it sounds, legalizing it, on top of a livable wage would increase the decrease. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. It has been proven in other countries that legalizing these things does not mean an increase in 'users'.

5 Years After: Portugal's Drug Decriminalization Policy Shows Positive Results: Scientific American

Why we should legalize drugs

Old 07-31-2010, 04:05 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,601 times
Quote:
How many times have you heard of a shooter pleading down to a weapons charge, I don't know if the NRA lobby is responsible for making a weapons charge and offense you can get off on without serving a lot of time, but IMO carrying an unlicensed gun should be a federal offense punishable by a mandatory long sentence in a federal pen. Most crime in the US stands out in the world because of our tolerance for unlicensed weapons .
Funny, I just had my first shooting experience today at the local range. In the mind of the range/shop owner, "Guns are good" and in a few years it might not be possible to buy guns ( I doubt that). But our tolerance for unlicensed weapons, or more specifically the simple prevalence of unlicensed weapons (why has this been allowed to get so out of control) is an issue.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Only problem with this, is regulation on licensing isnt governed by the Federal Government. It is regulated at the state level. Some states require licensing and registration, others don't.
I would love to see a grass roots effort to get our politians to make unlawfull gun ownership a federal crime.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I would love to see a grass roots effort to get our politians to make unlawfull gun ownership a federal crime.
But that is my point, you would have to first regulate gun ownership laws at the federal level. Since states are allowed to decide how a gun is legally obtained and owned. You would have to first stop states from making their own gun regulations, and place that at the federal level.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:35 PM

453 posts, read 457,674 times
Quote:
No it wouldnt be about robbing of culture, it would be about you showing your racist beliefs. Minorities are not the only ones that grow up poor in this country. But if they are a minority and poor, you want to put them on basically reservations? So the poor whites get to stay but not the minorities?
Skin color has nothing to do with it and Black and Hispanic people don't live on reservations. The majority of them live in inner cities where there are several socioeconomic problems. Many of the black people in America still think everybody owes them something, too. And I think kids period that come from broken home should be taken away from their unfit parents and sent somewhere that's a more suitable environment (black, white, brown, or yellow.)

You can interpret that however you want, but we won't be able to solve the problem if we just leave them in ghettos and let the welfare queens keep squirting out babies like toasters while the fathers keep disappearing. We need to teach them responsibility and get them to stop pulling out the race card every time they don't get their way.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:40 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Many of the black people in America still think everybody owes them something, too. .
Did you go door-to-door and conduct a survey find out that many black people in America think this way? Or do you have the ability to look into our minds and see what we're thinking?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Skin color has nothing to do with it and Black and Hispanic people don't live on reservations. The majority of them live in inner cities where there are several socioeconomic problems. Many of the black people in America still think everybody owes them something, too. And I think kids period that come from broken home should be taken away from their unfit parents and sent somewhere that's a more suitable environment (black, white, brown, or yellow.)

You can interpret that however you want, but we won't be able to solve the problem if we just leave them in ghettos and let the welfare queens keep squirting out babies like toasters while the fathers keep disappearing. We need to teach them responsibility and get them to stop pulling out the race card every time they don't get their way.
And maybe if people like you didnt show your racsim, there wouldnt be a race card to pull...

When you are talking about taking people that live in the ghetto, you are talking about a poor neighborhood. There are poor neighborhoods aka ghettos that have people of every race that live in them.

Many people that grow up in the ghetto, go to inner city schools, have no problems making a success out of themselves.

Also, even though you say that many blacks in America believe, what I am guessing you mean whites even though you say everyone which would indicate that you don't consider blacks to be people, are owed by everyone, well, in all actuality this isnt the case. Usually the ones that are pushing for entitlements and reparations etc.. are the rich white dems that think black people cant make it on their own accord.

There are also many many women that grow up in the ghettos that are not and do not become welfare queens. there are many that don't have tons of children with multiple men etc...

The problem is, you want to stereotype which don't solve the actual problems.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 PM

453 posts, read 457,674 times
Quote:
And maybe if people like you didnt show your racsim, there wouldnt be a race card to pull...

When you are talking about taking people that live in the ghetto, you are talking about a poor neighborhood. There are poor neighborhoods aka ghettos that have people of every race that live in them.

Many people that grow up in the ghetto, go to inner city schools, have no problems making a success out of themselves.

Also, even though you say that many blacks in America believe, what I am guessing you mean whites even though you say everyone which would indicate that you don't consider blacks to be people, are owed by everyone, well, in all actuality this isnt the case. Usually the ones that are pushing for entitlements and reparations etc.. are the rich white dems that think black people cant make it on their own accord.

There are also many many women that grow up in the ghettos that are not and do not become welfare queens. there are many that don't have tons of children with multiple men etc...

The problem is, you want to stereotype which don't solve the actual problems.
Most stereotypes are based on facts. I know not all black people live in the ghetto and depend on welfare. We have a black President last time I checked. I lived in a neighborhood that turned into a ghetto when the hood rats from the inner city moved into it. They brought all their gangs with them. Not all of them were black. Many were Mexican, but whenever people tried correcting the problem, everything became a racial issue.

I had a roommate who was a black guy. He had a Master's Degree, and he spoke proper English. He didn't speak Ebonics and butcher the language. Meanwhile, he was considered a pariah by several other African-Americans for "not acting black enough." He was criticized for "being too white" because he had class and didn't act like some hoodrat. I'm always pleased whenever I meet educated people of any skin color.

The people who criticized him for "not acting black enough" I call lobsters. There are folks like that in all kinds of groups. I call them that because they're a bunch of bottomfeeders that do nothing but bring other people down. They like to hide behind their cretaceous exoskeletons and drag people down into the boiling pot with them. When one tries to crawl out, there's another that always has to pull it down in there.

As unkind as you think I am, I'm not racist. I'm not color-blind, though. Truth be told, it's kind of impossible to be when you see all this stuff right in front of your face everyday. I realize skin color has nothing to do with it. It's more along the lines of class, but the black community are their own worst enemy. If they want to get ahead and improve their situation, pulling out the race card isn't the way to do it. That's not how Barack Obama became President, nor is that how Oprah became one of TV's most powerful celebrities. End of story; I'm done!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Most stereotypes are based on facts. I know not all black people live in the ghetto and depend on welfare. We have a black President last time I checked. I lived in a neighborhood that turned into a ghetto when the hood rats from the inner city moved into it. They brought all their gangs with them. Not all of them were black. Many were Mexican, but whenever people tried correcting the problem, everything became a racial issue.

I had a roommate who was a black guy. He had a Master's Degree, and he spoke proper English. He didn't speak Ebonics and butcher the language. Meanwhile, he was considered a pariah by several other African-Americans for "not acting black enough." He was criticized for "being too white" because he had class and didn't act like some hoodrat. I'm always pleased whenever I meet educated people of any skin color.

The people who criticized him for "not acting black enough" I call lobsters. There are folks like that in all kinds of groups. I call them that because they're a bunch of bottomfeeders that do nothing but bring other people down. They like to hide behind their cretaceous exoskeletons and drag people down into the boiling pot with them. When one tries to crawl out, there's another that always has to pull it down in there.

As unkind as you think I am, I'm not racist. I'm not color-blind, though. Truth be told, it's kind of impossible to be when you see all this stuff right in front of your face everyday. I realize skin color has nothing to do with it. It's more along the lines of class, but the black community are their own worst enemy. If they want to get ahead and improve their situation, pulling out the race card isn't the way to do it. That's not how Barack Obama became President, nor is that how Oprah became one of TV's most powerful celebrities. End of story; I'm done!
But you chose to make a blanket statement about black people because....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies