Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
Where I grew up in Houston was overrun by gang violence. Several inner city problems overlapped into the neighborhood. My folks and I later moved out when things got out of hand. Eventually, we relocated to Austin because the school system was superior to that of Houston. Now there are gangs moving here like cockroaches. I'm sure the powers that be think demolishing the housing projects and crack dens and replacing them with condominiums, golf courses, and country clubs is the answer. That's what happened to the Wards in Downtown Houston, and all they did was relocate the problems. Nevertheless, gentrifying the ghetto is a waste of time and money.

For awhile, I thought we should line them all up and shoot them or gather them onto ships and dump them into the ocean so the sharks can gobble them up because half of them will never be productive members of society anyway. However, that would be considered un-American. The judicial system is a revolving door because they usually revert to their old habits after they get out of jail, prison, or juvenile hall because most of them have no education or job skills. Basically, we must tackle the root of the problem to break the perpetual cycle. I don't know if that entails sterilizing every welfare queen who keeps squirting out babies like toasters, castrating deadbeat dads knocking up everything that moves, or the National Guard patrolling ghettos.

Perhaps legalizing drugs, gambling, and prostitution would flush out most of these problems. It's a complex enigma that's been ignored too long when Memphis now has 300 gangs. Meanwhile, we're worried about what's going on in the Middle East that's out of our hands. The real war on terror is here on our own soil in the inner cities when these parasites wreak havoc on innocent civilians day in and day out. I read somewhere that a lot of them are even joining the military now and getting combat training. That part is most unsettling. Much of this I blame on rap and hiphop, but I imagine the problem goes deeper than that. What shall we do about our gangs in America?
Quit taking their crap comes to mind. Most countries (read, Soviet Union) won't tolerate it for long, graft notwithstanding. I think that most Central and South American, African, and Middle Eastern countries have it right. Line em' up, shoot em' down.

In India, whenever the violence gets a bit much, the police go on live patrols and have "incidents". Roughly translated, they take said thugs into a van, drive them out to a bit less contested/visible area, open the door and tell said thug to run.....bang bang bang later, the "incident" is written down and filed....shot while trying to escape.

And nooooooooobody says much and nooooooobody asks too many questions. While the tactics seem harsh make no mistake, the law is firmly in control for the most part with mal-contents in society. Take away terrorist attacks (Which no one can control too well) and you have a fairly law-abiding society.

In our case, put the ones that don't fight back to work. Say hard labor. Say hard labor prisons and get to building roads, clean ups, and other public works projects, 6 days a week for some consideration later in their sentence when their "protein supply" has dried up a bit and they are a bit less testy?

Quit taking their crap. For God's sake, there's only thousands of them while there are millions of us???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I sort of agree. The problem we have created is that we go out of our way to "save" everyone but then become responsible for them and their offspring and all future generations. We haven't got to the point yet where we stop trying to save people, or found a way to get them off life support and able to care for themselves. Unfortunately, if I had to guess, I'd say we will stop saving people before we ever figure out how they can take care of themselves. I think some folks are just a lost cause.

I do agree with you to a point. But it is hard for some to take care of themselves, when they have always been taken care of, and expect to be taken care of except by themselves.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default Time to get medieval.

Well, they are not going to change themselves. I think a Federal emergency needs to be declared. Penalties for crimes committed while a member of a gang should be extremely severe. A gang should be designated as a domestic terrorist organization, whose members all conspire to commit terrorism. The penalty imposed would apply to ALL the members for crimes that ANY ONE of them committed. So, if there are 100,000 Nortenos, and one of them kills a person and is convicted of 1st degree murder with a gang enhancement, not only will that one member be executed, but so will the 99,999 other members including those in prison.

Execution would be immediate upon conviction, not drawn out and expensive like it is now. Gang enhancement expedites the process. 10 minutes after they are convicted or apprehended, they are eliminated.

Let's see how long these street gangs remain then.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
Just had on the news that a Minneapolis suburb had a homicide where a 17 year old boy was beaten to death in a woods next to a golf course.

It involved a gang initiation with the 3 boys doing the beating being ages 15,16, and 16.

They'll probably get counselling and returned to the streets on their 18th birthday.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM

453 posts, read 457,374 times
I had an idea what we might do in about our gangs, but I doubt it'll ever fly in our society. We'd have the ACLU and NAACP jumping all over it like bees on a beehive. My idea entails taking the kids of all the gang members and from the ghetto and relocating them to special schools where they could be assimilated.

The idea is similar to that of how they used to send Native American kids from the reservation. The government wanted them to be westernized. This is different circumstances, though. It would entail special institutions at least 1,000 miles away from the ghettos in clandestine locations. The folks there could teach them discipline and the importance of education. Then they could grow up to be model citizens instead of products of their environment.

Like I said, I doubt that would ever work in America because A. Nobody would want to spend the tax dollars to fund such a program and B. Then there would civil rights leaders criticizing this program claiming the minority children will be robbed of their culture, forget their history, and grow up "acting too white."

Old 07-31-2010, 02:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,367 times
I would say focus heavy attention and support on groups of "reformed" gang members and having them teach and help reform those looking to get out. To start with. In this case, it truly probably takes one to know one and I don't think the majority of folks can even fathom the horrors or "allegiance" issues wrapped up in gang life. Give a major platform to those who got out and use their resources to dig out the entrenched. Folks are already doing this. It seems like one of the best tactics.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM

453 posts, read 457,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I would say focus heavy attention and support on groups of "reformed" gang members and having them teach and help reform those looking to get out. To start with. In this case, it truly probably takes one to know one and I don't think the majority of folks can even fathom the horrors or "allegiance" issues wrapped up in gang life. Give a major platform to those who got out and use their resources to dig out the entrenched. Folks are already doing this. It seems like one of the best tactics.
That might work. There definitely must be something done about this soon because it's becoming a pandemic. These gangs are lock cockroaches in that they'll take over anyone or anything without regard to human life. They're the most unscrupulous scumbags on Earth, and they're getting more powerful. They need to launch some kind of program showing them gang violence won't be tolerated. Nonetheless, this is also why I'm keen on instating school uniforms for all learning institutions.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:
I had an idea what we might do in about our gangs, but I doubt it'll ever fly in our society. We'd have the ACLU and NAACP jumping all over it like bees on a beehive. My idea entails taking the kids of all the gang members and from the ghetto and relocating them to special schools where they could be assimilated.

The idea is similar to that of how they used to send Native American kids from the reservation. The government wanted them to be westernized. This is different circumstances, though. It would entail special institutions at least 1,000 miles away from the ghettos in clandestine locations. The folks there could teach them discipline and the importance of education. Then they could grow up to be model citizens instead of products of their environment.

Like I said, I doubt that would ever work in America because A. Nobody would want to spend the tax dollars to fund such a program and B. Then there would civil rights leaders criticizing this program claiming the minority children will be robbed of their culture, forget their history, and grow up "acting too white."
No it wouldnt be about robbing of culture, it would be about you showing your racist beliefs. Minorities are not the only ones that grow up poor in this country. But if they are a minority and poor, you want to put them on basically reservations? So the poor whites get to stay but not the minorities?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,367 times
Quote:
That might work. There definitely must be something done about this soon because it's becoming a pandemic. These gangs are lock cockroaches in that they'll take over anyone or anything without regard to human life. They're the most unscrupulous scumbags on Earth, and they're getting more powerful. They need to launch some kind of program showing them gang violence won't be tolerated. Nonetheless, this is also why I'm keen on instating school uniforms for all learning institutions.
School uniforms are an excellent idea too- but even kids in uniform will mob beat another kiddo. It's truly depressing actually. I've seen it happen and had to call in the school cop.

Schools should not need cops. Something is/has been desperately wrong.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
How many times have you heard of a shooter pleading down to a weapons charge, I don't know if the NRA lobby is responsible for making a weapons charge and offense you can get off on without serving a lot of time, but IMO carrying an unlicensed gun should be a federal offense punishable by a mandatory long sentence in a federal pen. Most crime in the US stands out in the world because of our tolerance for unlicensed weapons .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies