Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
I left that neighborhood a long time ago, and I don't hang out with gangs anymore. I don't think OJ is innocent, either, but I'm sure you do. I stopped listening to rap music, and I went onto college and worked in the Peace Corps over in Africa, and I think most gangs in America are predominately black and Hispanic because those cultures don't put enough emphasis on education, and many of the people in those environment lack ambition, and you're not going to make me feel guilty about what I believe. I'm done!
How do you know how I feel about OJ? What makes you think I care about OJ?

Oh I forgot you have special powers to see into the minds of black people so you know what I'm thinking.

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty. If you don't see anything wrong with applying a damaged label on a whole group of people based on the actions of some then kudos to you.

Quote:
Or stir up trouble online like some people do.
yes pretty much like you're doing, huh? Glad you recognize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
How do you know how I feel about OJ? What makes you think I care about OJ?

Oh I forgot you have special powers to see into the minds of black people so you know what I'm thinking.

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty. If you don't see anything wrong with applying a damaged label on a whole group of people based on the actions of some then kudos to you.

yes pretty much like you're doing, huh? Glad you recognize it.
I think the OJ jab was an attempt to hurt your feelings how old were you when OJ was aquitted?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
I left that neighborhood a long time ago, and I don't hang out with gangs anymore. I don't think OJ is innocent, either, but I'm sure you do. I stopped listening to rap music, and I went onto college and worked in the Peace Corps over in Africa, and I think most gangs in America are predominately black and Hispanic because those cultures don't put enough emphasis on education, and many of the people in those environment lack ambition, and you're not going to make me feel guilty about what I believe. I'm done!
Here is the problem, no one is trying to make you feel guilty, if you have any feelings of guilt they are coming from with in. You posted on a message board, so of course there are going to be people that will respond to what you say. You posted in a politics and controversies thread at that, so there will be people debating what you said.

Our point of view is, why not look at people on an individual basis, instead of lumping everyone together as one.

You may not like the fact when someone points out that what you believe blacks and Hispanics are like isnt always the case, that just like whites, people are people and will decide for themselves how they are going to live.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 PM

453 posts, read 457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
I think the OJ jab was an attempt to hurt your feelings how old were you when OJ was aquitted?
I was 16 when that happened, and I remember it clearly. I remember him trying to pull out the race card to get himself off even though Mark Fuhrman's partner found OJ's fingerprint on the gate. Not to mention Marcia Clark's assistant D.A. was also black. Michael Vick tried pulling out the race card, too, after he forgot Johnny Cochran died 5 years ago. Then when they had him on camera, they realized it wasn't going to work. And when three people testified against Vick, that's when Al Sharpton kept his piehole shut. I guess he learned the hard way after Jesse Jackson made a fool of himself during that whole Duke Rape case.

I love the way Maxine Waters claimed that the Rodney King beating was a hate crime, too, which it clearly was. But then she turned around and claimed that the L.A. riots were a revolution. She failed to understand that revolutions usually are done because a certain group wants sovereignty. I don't think most of those black people in South Central L.A. wanted their own nation. However, I find it interesting that the whole Reginald Denny beating didn't make the headlines like Rodney King when that was a hate crime. And I didn't see a bunch of white people rioting in the streets, destroying buildings, turning over cars, and whatnot when Reginald Denny's assailants (who were gang members by the way) were all acquitted even though they were also on camera.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Here is the problem, no one is trying to make you feel guilty, if you have any feelings of guilt they are coming from with in. You posted on a message board, so of course there are going to be people that will respond to what you say. You posted in a politics and controversies thread at that, so there will be people debating what you said.

Our point of view is, why not look at people on an individual basis, instead of lumping everyone together as one.

You may not like the fact when someone points out that what you believe blacks and Hispanics are like isnt always the case, that just like whites, people are people and will decide for themselves how they are going to live.
Exactly. I don't know why people fail to realize how insulting it is for someone to tell you negative things about many or the majority of black people.

No one in my immediate family has ever been to jail. Both of my parents are college graduates. All of my sibilings are college graduates. My brother had his doctarates degree. His wife is a nurse. Their daughter is a teacher. All of them are black.

The things that she is saying does not apply to us and when you say that they say "your family is the expection to the rule" well who was it that made the rule that black people are supposed to be uneducated criminals?

I know way more college graduates and professionals than I do welfare queens convicts so why are we always pushed aside and considered the "special" group. Why aren't we the rule?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I was 16 when that happened, and I remember it clearly. I remember him trying to pull out the race card to get himself off even though Mark Fuhrman's partner found OJ's fingerprint on the gate. Not to mention Marcia Clark's assistant D.A. was also black. Michael Vick tried pulling out the race card, too, after he forgot Johnny Cochran died 5 years ago. Then when they had him on camera, they realized it wasn't going to work. And when three people testified against Vick, that's when Al Sharpton kept his piehole shut. I guess he learned the hard way after Jesse Jackson made a fool of himself during that whole Duke Rape case.

I love the way Maxine Waters claimed that the Rodney King beating was a hate crime, too, which it clearly was. But then she turned around and claimed that the L.A. riots were a revolution. She failed to understand that revolutions usually are done because a certain group wants sovereignty. I don't think most of those black people in South Central L.A. wanted their own nation. However, I find it interesting that the whole Reginald Denny beating didn't make the headlines like Rodney King when that was a hate crime. And I didn't see a bunch of white people rioting in the streets, destroying buildings, turning over cars, and whatnot when Reginald Denny's assailants (who were gang members by the way) were all acquitted even though they were also on camera.
what the hell has any of this got to do with gang violence in america?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
what the hell has any of this got to do with gang violence in america?
They were gang members that attacked him. Nobody did anything about it. Gangs have no respect for anyone or anything because they act like animals, and people tolerate that kind of behavior. Then they get all touchy about race when someone identifies them or sees through the line. Kind of like Tupac Shakur claimed his tattoo saying "Thug Life" stands for "The Hate You Give Little Infants F--cks Everybody."

He claimed he wasn't a gang banger, but he wasn't fooling me. The guy acted like a criminal. He dressed like a criminal and hung out with criminals. He sang gangster rap, and he even had a criminal record. Then the guy met his demise at age 25 when he got gunned down on the Las Vegas strip. I wasn't there to see it, and I don't know all the details. However, based on all the extenuating circumstances, I find it hard to believe he wasn't a criminal because that whole situation seems pretty sketchy to me.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I don't know why people fail to realize how insulting it is for someone to tell you negative things about many or the majority of black people.

No one in my immediate family has ever been to jail. Both of my parents are college graduates. All of my sibilings are college graduates. My brother had his doctarates degree. His wife is a nurse. Their daughter is a teacher. All of them are black.

The things that she is saying does not apply to us and when you say that they say "your family is the expection to the rule" well who was it that made the rule that black people are supposed to be uneducated criminals?

I know way more college graduates and professionals than I do welfare queens convicts so why are we always pushed aside and considered the "special" group. Why aren't we the rule?
I have to concur with you fully.
I have asked the same question. I grew up in a middle class predominantly white town, my wife on the other hand grew up in the inner-city. She went to the inner-city schools, but, now she has 2 degrees, and has never been on welfare in her life.

The way I look at it when it comes to people there are no rules. people make their own choices in life. Is there outside influences? of course, but it is up to the individual to decide what they do with said influence. So, if it is up to the individual, then no "rule" can truely exist. If no rule exists, then there can be no exception to it.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Kudos to you and your family. I'm sure I'd be delighted to meet them. Like I said, I'm always thrilled whenever I meet people of any race that have class and ambition and don't act like a bunch of lowlifes with no respect for anything. I'm sure they all got where they are by working hard.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
They were gang members that attacked him. Nobody did anything about it. Gangs have no respect for anyone or anything because they act like animals, and people tolerate that kind of behavior. Then they get all touchy about race when someone identifies them or sees through the line. Kind of like Tupac Shakur claimed his tattoo saying "Thug Life" stands for "The Hate You Give Little Infants F--cks Everybody."

He claimed he wasn't a gang banger, but he wasn't fooling me. The guy acted like a criminal. He dressed like a criminal and hung out with criminals. He sang gangster rap, and he even had a criminal record. Then the guy met his demise at age 25 when he got gunned down on the Las Vegas strip. I wasn't there to see it, and I don't know all the details. However, based on all the extenuating circumstances, I find it hard to believe he wasn't a criminal because that whole situation seems pretty sketchy to me.
Here is where my issue stems from, you have a hatred for gangs, fine, nothing wrong with that, but, you don't have no idea why kids join gangs, you don't know much about gangs or what the gangs believe. If you truly wanted to help with gang problems, you first have to educate yourself about the gangs. Otherwise, all you are doing is complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies