Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
Or stir up trouble online like some people do.
Show me one, just one thread on the Politics and Controversies sub-forum that is NOT intended to stir up trouble and I'll kiss your hiney in public at the date and time of your choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:42 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,620 times
Quote:
They were gang members that attacked him. Nobody did anything about it. Gangs have no respect for anyone or anything because they act like animals, and people tolerate that kind of behavior. Then they get all touchy about race when someone identifies them or sees through the line. Kind of like Tupac Shakur claimed his tattoo saying "Thug Life" stands for "The Hate You Give Little Infants F--cks Everybody."

He claimed he wasn't a gang banger, but he wasn't fooling me. The guy acted like a criminal. He dressed like a criminal and hung out with criminals. He sang gangster rap, and he even had a criminal record. Then the guy met his demise at age 25 when he got gunned down on the Las Vegas strip. I wasn't there to see it, and I don't know all the details. However, based on all the extenuating circumstances, I find it hard to believe he wasn't a criminal because that whole situation seems pretty sketchy to me.
Oj was in a gang? Al Sharpton was in a gang? Michael Vick was in a gang?

Now you're talking about Tupac? Are you just throwing out random black people to prove that some of them are criminals? We already knew that but that street goes both ways and neither direction will get you to gang violence which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

i think the people need to take back our streets. as rhawkins mentioned in another thread people no longer feel the police offer any protection. that's an issue that needs to be addressed in local areas. during election times i would certainly bring up that under your term it took police an hour to get to certain areas and want to know if you were going to fix any of that.

and people need to get more involved in the communities again. we need to have communities again.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I have to concur with you fully.
I have asked the same question. I grew up in a middle class predominantly white town, my wife on the other hand grew up in the inner-city. She went to the inner-city schools, but, now she has 2 degrees, and has never been on welfare in her life.

The way I look at it when it comes to people there are no rules. people make their own choices in life. Is there outside influences? of course, but it is up to the individual to decide what they do with said influence. So, if it is up to the individual, then no "rule" can truely exist. If no rule exists, then there can be no exception to it.
I agree with you. I hate when people say "black people do this" or "black people think that" and then when I inform them that neither applies to me, they brush it off with a "well you're different"...so does that mean I'm not black.

I try not to operate in blanket statements. I don't believe that your skin color determines your personal morals any more than your hair color. At the end it's all about personal choices.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:45 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post

Now you're talking about Tupac? Are you just throwing out random black people to prove that some of them are criminals? We already knew that but that street goes both ways and neither direction will get you to gang violence which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

i think the people need to take back our streets. as rhawkins mentioned in another thread people no longer feel the police offer any protection. that's an issue that needs to be addressed in local areas. during election times i would certainly bring up that under your term it took police an hour to get to certain areas and want to know if you were going to fix any of that.

and people need to get more involved in the communities again. we need to have communities again.
I would of repped you, but I have to spread it around some. I fully agree that we need communities again. Back in the day it was a lot harder to get away with something, because you knew that you didnt have to worry about only your parents, but also the neighbors etc...lol

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 10,321 times
You want to slow down and damage the gang problem? Then decrease poverty. Decrease poverty by providing excellent education. Take a peek at Harlem Children's zone. They have a webpage.

Another one: Anyone remember Garfield High School in East L.A.? A high school on the verge of losing accredidation and full of future criminals and gangs. All of the experienced Garfield teachers said those kids couldn't learn algebra let alone calculas. However, the dynamic and magnetic Jamie Escalante proved otherwise, and he did it in a very short time. I heard the man speak way back in 1990 and he was absolutely charismatic, but he expected a lot from his students. He believed in them, their abilities, and didn't cut them slack.

You want to deminish gangs? Demand excellence in the inner city schools.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacecat View Post
You want to slow down and damage the gang problem? Then decrease poverty. Decrease poverty by providing excellent education. Take a peek at Harlem Children's zone. They have a webpage.

Another one: Anyone remember Garfield High School in East L.A.? A high school on the verge of losing accredidation and full of future criminals and gangs. All of the experienced Garfield teachers said those kids couldn't learn algebra let alone calculas. However, the dynamic and magnetic Jamie Escalante proved otherwise, and he did it in a very short time. I heard the man speak way back in 1990 and he was absolutely charismatic, but he expected a lot from his students. He believed in them, their abilities, and didn't cut them slack.

You want to deminish gangs? Demand excellence in the inner city schools.
Well unfortunately education seems to be going the other way. NCLB has lowered the bar to ridiculous levels. Classrooms are too full. Teachers burnt out. Not enough supplies. Schools aren't safe.

Everyone loves to see stories like Lean On Me on television where the school turns around in 90 minutes or less but that rarely happens in real life because of all the red tape. Hell it didn't even happen in real life - that movie is 90% fictional.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 PM

453 posts, read 457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Here is where my issue stems from, you have a hatred for gangs, fine, nothing wrong with that, but, you don't have no idea why kids join gangs, you don't know much about gangs or what the gangs believe. If you truly wanted to help with gang problems, you first have to educate yourself about the gangs. Otherwise, all you are doing is complaining.
I don't have no idea, huh? I assume you mean to say "any idea." Actually, I do have an idea. It's because a lot of them come from broken homes with no older role models around and because they want a place of belonging. It's for the same reason many of them speak Ebonics in that they want to fit in. And because education takes a lot of hard work and dedication, they don't see the big picture. By selling drugs and whatnot, that brings them instant gratification. They want what's in front of them today rather than having to wait for what's down the road tomorrow, and for them the gangs are like family.

I lived next door to some gang bangers. There were three brothers in that household and no parents around. I don't know where they were. Maybe the father split or he was in jail. Maybe the same happened to the mother, and I don't care. The older brother was the head of the household, and he was some high school dropout. He was the only role model the two younger brothers had, so that was all they know. Needless to say, I didn't shed a tear when I heard the older brother got knifed at a Mardi Gras parade in Galveston. I had hoped the younger two would've ended up in foster care or something better than the environment in which they were, but that never happened.

Finally, we moved out of that slimehole neighborhood after Mom got a better job, and I have no desire to go back there ever again. I drove by it Last Thanksgiving and saw that it had been gentrified, but that's not good enough for me. Like I stated in the beginning of this thread, gentrification doesn't solve the problem. Alas, if we truly want to see these people come out of a rut, we need to teach them the meaning of the word, "responsibility."

Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM

453 posts, read 457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post

I never said OJ was in a gang. I said that woman probably thought he was innocent because he was black. I never said Sharpton was in a gang, either. He's what I call a race pimp. He loves shooting his fat mouth off about the whole race card issue. I said he kept his trap shut when he realized Michael Vick was guilty. I missed the part when I mentioned anything about gangs. That whole conversation pertained to race. Nice try, though!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
I don't have no idea, huh? I assume you mean to say "any idea." Actually, I do have an idea. It's because a lot of them come from broken homes with no older role models around and because they want a place of belonging. It's for the same reason many of them speak Ebonics in that they want to fit in. And because education takes a lot of hard work and dedication, they don't see the big picture. By selling drugs and whatnot, that brings them instant gratification. They want what's in front of them today rather than having to wait for what's down the road tomorrow, and for them the gangs are like family.

I lived next door to some gang bangers. There were three brothers in that household and no parents around. I don't know where they were. Maybe the father split or he was in jail. Maybe the same happened to the mother, and I don't care. The older brother was the head of the household, and he was some high school dropout. He was the only role model the two younger brothers had, so that was all they know. Needless to say, I didn't shed a tear when I heard the older brother got knifed at a Mardi Gras parade in Galveston. I had hoped the younger two would've ended up in foster care or something better than the environment in which they were, but that never happened.

Finally, we moved out of that slimehole neighborhood after Mom got a better job, and I have no desire to go back there ever again. I drove by it Last Thanksgiving and saw that it had been gentrified, but that's not good enough for me. Like I stated in the beginning of this thread, gentrification doesn't solve the problem. Alas, if we truly want to see these people come out of a rut, we need to teach them the meaning of the word, "responsibility."
So, just what I thought, you don't really know much. you know what you have seen from the outside looking in.

Did you know that the majority of gangs literature are based off of religions? Did you know that the majority of gangs literature believe heavily in education?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,620 times
Quote:
I never said OJ was in a gang. I said that woman probably thought he was innocent because he was black. I never said Sharpton was in a gang, either. He's what I call a race pimp. He loves shooting his fat mouth off about the whole race card issue. I said he kept his trap shut when he realized Michael Vick was guilty. I missed the part when I mentioned anything about gangs. That whole conversation pertained to race. Nice try, though!
I missed the part where you said anything about gangs too which is why i'm asking you what this has to do with gangs? THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD IS GANG PROBLEMS IN AMERICA! WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT HAS NOTHING DO TO WITH GANGS PROBLEMS IN AMERICA?

OH I SEE BECAUSE THE WHOLE CONVERSATION PERTAINED TO RACE AFTER YOU POSTED SEVERAL TIMES 'HEY I'M NOT RACIST I KNOW IT'S NOT A RACE THING' NICE TRY THOUGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies