Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should C-D posters be arrested for re-posting Wikileaks info?
Darn tootin'. Lock up the cyber terrorists. 15 15.15%
No way. Let freedom ring. 80 80.81%
Diggedy. Oh, still not sure. 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times

Advertisements

Government lies of omission and commission must be protected at all costs.

Without lies, what have we got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
And you think this is uncommon? Were you born yesterday? There is a reason the average Joe isn't allowed to see some things. They can't handle it like you can't.
You can't handle the lie!

Maybe they'll make a movie.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If someone robs a bank and then gives the money to you, and you take it know the money was illegally obtain, you are breaking the law.. The fact that it was given to you doesnt mean you shouldnt go to jail...

The OP has a very valid argument. Possession of stolen property is a crime if you knew it was stolen.. PERIOD.. It doesnt matter how the item was received, or why, or even if stealing it is good..it is still a crime..
Exactly PGH. I'm not talking about the contents of the docs, but HOW wikileaks obtained them. I'd be all for them going public if they were obtained LEGALLY. The slippery slope here is this entire thing, once a precedence is set that possessing stolen information is ok, then where does it stop? Can I have someone steal your company's secrets , give it to me and I make it public? Can I start to hack other country's government's networks to look for classified material? I don't want to hear that hacking is illegal to begin with, because if it is legal to have the information in my possession, then why make hacking illegal? They do that to protect the information right? Anyway, where does this stop if this is accepted?

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
I can and enjoy handling it just fine thanks. And it's a good idea. People all over the world would get along just fine without these governments influence. Try that on.

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
There is a reason the average Joe isn't allowed to see some things. They can't handle it like you can't.
LOL....yes it is better we stay ignorant...the fedgov. knows best.

It has such a stellar record of telling the truth.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Exactly PGH. I'm not talking about the contents of the docs, but HOW wikileaks obtained them. I'd be all for them going public if they were obtained LEGALLY. The slippery slope here is this entire thing, once a precedence is set that possessing stolen information is ok, then where does it stop? Can I have someone steal your company's secrets , give it to me and I make it public? Can I start to hack other country's government's networks to look for classified material? I don't want to hear that hacking is illegal to begin with, because if it is legal to have the information in my possession, then why make hacking illegal? They do that to protect the information right? Anyway, where does this stop if this is accepted?
Read up about the Pentagon Papers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Government lies of omission and commission must be protected at all costs.

Without lies, what have we got?
No, it's rule of law. You want a lawless America? Let's say you have a very successful company. Can I have someone steal your company secrets, give it to me and I can publish them across the world? Would that be acceptable to you? Would it be legal to do so?

Lies, in and of themselves, have negative value.

Stealing a negative value leaves only a positive value.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL....yes it is better we stay ignorant...the fedgov. knows best.

It has such a stellar record of telling the truth.
There will always be things that you won't know about. Deal with it. It has always been like that.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
here is a scenario for those who dont think this is a crime..

If a GS employee takes code from GS, its intellectual property and is considered theft..
Goldman employee 'stole' million dollar software codes | IT PRO

Now what if this employee had taken this code and then Investors Business daily gives out the code, are they immune from damages? Of course not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies