Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I disagree. I think it is more the 'I am so jealous of anyone whom has more than me' game that propels most of the comments from smaller home owners on this post.
How cute...you think a bigger home means someone has 'more'.

Believe it or not, not everyone thinks a large home is something to be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
How cute...you think a bigger home means someone has 'more'.

Believe it or not, not everyone thinks a large home is something to be proud of.

Not 'cute' at all and not what I meant - but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

Believe it or not, not everyone in a large home thinks they have the right to judge people in smaller homes.

Pride does not = the size of one's home.

Jealousy and petty ranting about what other's have is pathetic.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I do not know any women who want Mcmansions, blech! those things are hideous and tacky. Women want houses that look nice and well cared for, I don't know any women who dream about size, that's a guy thing in my experience.

I adore my aprox. 2000 sf (not including the finished parts of the basement my guy has dibs on, that's probably around 500-700sf) bungalow, every room has been exquisitely remodeled to be modern, but classic and suits it's 1940s charm perfectly. I don't like lots of unused space, and I'm the opposite of a hoarder, I get rid of as much stuff as possible. Quality is much more important than quantity to me. I prefer smaller houses where all the space is lived in, even this feels somewhat big in the winter when it's just the two of us. My neighborhood is professional, most people here could afford a bigger house somewhere else, but prefer the beautiful smaller homes and gorgeous tree lined streets here. Energy conservation, recycling etc. are also a priority here.
My wife disagrees with you, she likes having a big home with a lot of space, especially to allow our relatives to come and visit for a spell.

Also, we can have our kids stay for a few nights, and it is helpful having extra space for grandkids. Quality doesn't cost much more to install in a big home than it does in a smaller home, so I don't see the quality vs quantity issue unless the purchase is at the limit of what you can afford. As far as keeping it clean and tidy, extra space doesn't require much extra effort, and you can always hire some help.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Not 'cute' at all and not what I meant - but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

Believe it or not, not everyone in a large home thinks they have the right to judge people in smaller homes.

Pride does not = the size of one's home.

Jealousy and petty ranting about what other's have is pathetic.
You have done nothing but judge people since you started this thread.

You are right about petty ranting though. it is pretty pathetic to assume anyone who has chosen a smaller home is jealous. Take your own advice and let people make their own choices without the judgement.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
You have done nothing but judge people since you started this thread.

You are right about petty ranting though. it is pretty pathetic to assume anyone who has chosen a smaller home is jealous. Take your own advice and let people make their own choices without the judgement.

Please wake up and stop drinking your kool-aide. I DID NOT start this thread and have not heavily contributed to it, either.

Have you bothered to even read the entire thread and the rude comments from those owning smaller homes judging those owning big homes? I didn't think so. Typical.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Please wake up and stop drinking your kool-aide. I DID NOT start this thread and have not heavily contributed to it, either.

Have you bothered to even read the entire thread and the rude comments from those owning smaller homes judging those owning big homes? I didn't think so. Typical.
my post:

Quote:
I apologize for any judgement I may have shown in my previous posts. It was uncalled for and unhelpful in for the sake of this discussion. I am not saying (and have never said) that my opinion is the end-all right answer to this thread. (how ridiculous would that be?) I am merely saying that I think larger houses are bought not out of need, but out of a want. They are a luxury. I also am saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as people realize it is a luxury. For example, I enjoy going out to eat, but I also realize that is is a luxury.

I am saying that, to me, a better use of time and money is charity and working for my community, rather than spending time and money on home renovations, cleaning and yardwork.

Again - just my opinion. I am not judging you for owning a larger home. I merely was disagreeing with the opinion that a larger home is a need. Does that make sense?
What part of that is judgmental in any way?

And why do you continue to ignore the issues, and rather throw the response out accusing people of being judgmental? If you want to have a substantial, real conversation, respond the the ISSUES I posted in this thread.

I claim that three people do not NEED a 5000sqft home, and I stand by it. I have three people living in my 950sqft home right now, and we have more than enough space. There is nothing wrong with wanting a larger home, but it is a want, not a need. Claiming you need a 4000-5000 sqft home is like claiming you need a lexus. Feel free to buy one if you want, but owning that type of car is a luxury, not a need. Eating Kobe beef is fine, however you can just as easily eat something more cost-effective that gives you the same nutrition. Nothing wrong with enjoying Kobe, but it is a luxury, it is a want, not a need. Get it?

I am not being judgmental, I am simply making that statement. Can you actually respond to what I am saying instead of continually ignoring the points I make?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
my post:

What part of that is judgmental in any way?

And why do you continue to ignore the issues, and rather throw the response out accusing people of being judgmental? If you want to have a substantial, real conversation, respond the the ISSUES I posted in this thread.

I claim that three people do not NEED a 5000sqft home, and I stand by it. I have three people living in my 950sqft home right now, and we have more than enough space. There is nothing wrong with wanting a larger home, but it is a want, not a need. Claiming you need a 4000-5000 sqft home is like claiming you need a lexus. Feel free to buy one if you want, but owning that type of car is a luxury, not a need. Eating Kobe beef is fine, however you can just as easily eat something more cost-effective that gives you the same nutrition. Nothing wrong with enjoying Kobe, but it is a luxury, it is a want, not a need. Get it?

I am not being judgmental, I am simply making that statement. Can you actually respond to what I am saying instead of continually ignoring the points I make?
I, and several others on this thread, have responded to you but you refuse to hear the message.

Your 'claims' of what YOU THINK people need or do not need are not up for discussion. It is your opinion. Period.

But since you keep insisting I join in your type of discussion, here it goes: I think it is kinda sad that you cram a family of three into a 950 sf home. There is no room to live or breath. You probably have very little, if any, yard and no ability to grow plants and garden. You probably have no room to entertain family and friends. Heaven forbid you have a pet! And it doesn't matter whether you want or need to live in such a small house - you do, so I am posting my opinion as you keep doing to me and other's living in bigger homes. There - does that make you feel better? The 'taste' of you own medecine? You CHOOSE to live in a home that suits your needs and wants. Should I really be commenting on that - NO.

I want AND need to live in a bigger house. YOU are NOT to judge or tell me what I need. That is just shallow and pathetic.

Lexus? Luxury and not a need? Again, your opinion. I drive a landrover - luxury maybe, but I NEED it to tow my horse. Not for you to judge just because that might not be a need of yours.

Kobe beef? I LOVE it! Buy and eat it as much as possible. Need or want? Doesn't matter. It is MY choice. You make your own choices.

DO you finally get the point? Live your life in the way that suits you best and makes you happy - enjoy your needs and wants - and stop trying to be the know it all for what everyone else should need....or want!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I, and several others on this thread, have responded to you but you refuse to hear the message.

Your 'claims' of what YOU THINK people need or do not need are not up for discussion. It is your opinion. Period.

But since you keep insisting I join in your type of discussion, here it goes: I think it is kinda sad that you cram a family of three into a 950 sf home. There is no room to live or breath. You probably have very little, if any, yard and no ability to grow plants and garden. You probably have no room to entertain family and friends. Heaven forbid you have a pet! And it doesn't matter whether you want or need to live in such a small house - you do, so I am posting my opinion as you keep doing to me and other's living in bigger homes. There - does that make you feel better? The 'taste' of you own medecine? You CHOOSE to live in a home that suits your needs and wants. Should I really be commenting on that - NO.
Now who is being judgmental?

First of all, it is my girlfriend and I, and a friend of mine rents out the second bedroom. He is moving out on Jan. 1st, and I honestly do not know what I will do with that extra room.

I have a pet (a dog), who is doing great. The private adoption agency that I got him from did a walk-through of my home before I was allowed to take him home, and they thought my house would be great for him. I have outdoor space (a patio - about 500 sqft) so no grass to worry about, and I can still get outside to entertain/grill/etc with no yardwork involved! I have a backyard - the city is my backyard.

I don't need room for a home library - there is a real library four blocks away. (in city libraries I can order any book in the city's system and they deliver it to the library closest to me for free)

I don't need a yard - there is a park and playground two blocks away.

I don't need a workout room - there is a gym one block away.

I have a 46inch flatscreen tv with seating for 10 in my living room, so entertaining is not a problem, whether it be a movie night or game night.

stayinformed - this is exactly my point. I knew you were thinking these things this whole time. Being judgmental isn't just what you say, it is what you think. You can't IMAGINE living in a place smaller than what you have, and that is fine. My lifestyle isn't for everyone. I (and my girlfriend) would HATE to live outside of a city, and we would HATE to have a place that we had to spend more than 40 minutes/week cleaning. If you GAVE ME your 4000sqft home, I would sell it tomorrow. No thanks, it isn't for me.

You can do whatever you want, but you obviously think I am wrong to live where I am. You think I am "cramming three people" into this house. Once my friend moves out, I have no idea what I am going to do with that room! I rented it out because I have no use for a second bedroom. Please re-examine what you are posting, because it is obvious you think anyone with a smaller home is simply wrong, crazy or both. You can do whatever you want and live whereever you want. I understand that you enjoy space and enjoy lots of it, and good for you! Here is the thing though, at least make an effort to understand where someone like me is coming from. Is that too much for me to ask?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yep, I suspect that's what drives most of it. The 'keeping up with the Joneses" game is one not worth playing.
This is so ridiculous. You can't imagine why anyone would want something nice just for the sake of having something nice? There has to be something wrong with the psyche? Gimme a break...

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM

383 posts, read 641,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And here I am thinking I was special cause I had my own library..
Even though we, hubby and I chose a smaller house....that I love, I think it's great that you also love your home. Though I don't believe I have ever seen a ten foot TV. I'm baffled by it. Got a pic? We have 50 inch and I thought that was big....lol

Anywho....this is not to you pgh...I have show dogs. Three to be exact. Two show agility, one does dock diving. Do I have a huge yard...no, but my dogs have a small amount of grass...we live in AZ so gravel is the norm. I do however have a huge area to walk them, and then in bad weather I have the treadmill for them. But the agility dogs are worked almost everyday, the dock diving dog doesn't dive right now. Our pool is a wee bit chilly, and the spa is off limits to him. And no I'm not spending a 100 bucks to heat the pool for him. I dived him last week. We're good to go until January.

Basically after that long ramble....it doesn't take a large yard to have dogs. Oh and I plan on adding one more pup, to replace my older agility dog, within the next three months. So that makes it four dogs.

I should add...I'm not getting rid of my older agility dog...but we can't show a pup in agility until it's 14 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies