Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveyourass View Post
Location Location Location

Big Homes are for people who have inferiority complexes and feel they must keep up with the Jonses.
It is absolutely about status. I fell into that trap big time in my late 20's. I thought that I hadn't "arrived" because I didn't live in some trendy neighborhood with houses that looked like they came straight out of magazine with manicured lawns and the like. I stopped at nothing until I could give my family a "proper" home. Now that we've been here a while, the materialism that surrounds me is sickening. I did what I thought was the right thing to do at the time, but now I understand that there are WAY more important things in life. I can't wait to find a little shack and live simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveyourass View Post
I understand- I am being brash. I am a New Yorker so thats how I see the world.

I also own a home in Boca Raton Fl. Not a huge home by any means but its "nice" and in a prime location as well.

Too many square feet is too much work.
I LOVE to shop in New York!!!!

Fashion Week ROCKS!!!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:23 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
To house all their unemployed relatives.
Right our Guest Houses are larger then most of the homes you live in!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
It is absolutely about status. I fell into that trap big time in my late 20's. I thought that I hadn't "arrived" because I didn't live in some trendy neighborhood with houses that looked like they came straight out of magazine with manicured lawns and the like. I stopped at nothing until I could give my family a "proper" home. Now that we've been here a while, the materialism that surrounds me is sickening. I did what I thought was the right thing to do at the time, but now I understand that there are WAY more important things in life. I can't wait to find a little shack and live simple.
No it isn't and you cannot speak for everyone can you! This is your perception, and it is wrong. I know Homes custom in N.Y. that are like so big, Texas, i know new homes being built that start at 4,000 sq ft. I travel all over, and by the way, Was born in the East Coast, the weather sucks.

People don't buy houses for a status symbol, people that can't afford a larger home, make this crap up. They buy a home, based on a good location, good schools, nice clean area and enviroment. Blame half of the Home Builders then, they are building so many new Developments with very large floor-plans and at such good prices, why wouldn't people buy them now.

You fail to see that some people buy at the top of the market, and hate to say it, someone who has lost a home, someone else has picked up for quite a deal, good investments, always pay off. What is ok for you in your life, that is great, but don't assume you can ever speak for all people because you cannot. Family is the most important thing, what the hek is wrong with them living in a real nice area, and have a nice homey home. I see nothing wrong with this, except too many nosey people make such a big deal about this, really should be worried more about the world we live in, and where it is headed, instead of trying to analyze why people live in big houses, why do people live in small houses, curious, maybe i have perceptions about that.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Right our Guest Houses are larger then most of the homes you live in!
haha.. my bedroom is larger than some of the homes here.. Not criticizing them.. They seem to be very happy with what they have.. I only wonder why they are so unhappy with what I have

Old 12-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
haha.. my bedroom is larger than some of the homes here.. Not criticizing them.. They seem to be very happy with what they have.. I only wonder why they are so unhappy with what I have

People are funny, they have to fault success, instead, of those who are gimmie gimmie gimmie. I don't care what people say they do envy, and when they do they become quite ugly!

No really i am kind of coming on strong, but kind of playing the gig here also. People should mind their own business, and let people buy the homes of their choice. We have so many important things of issue to worry about, and i never considered people who own big homes to be of importance. And to those of you who cannot afford the big home, even though you say you hate them, your so contempt within your own life, and with your own home, why the hek do you care.

People today are more nosy then ever, aren't they.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
People are funny, they have to fault success, instead, of those who are gimmie gimmie gimmie. I don't care what people say they do envy, and when they do they become quite ugly!

No really i am kind of coming on strong, but kind of playing the gig here also. People should mind their own business, and let people buy the homes of their choice. We have so many important things of issue to worry about, and i never considered people who own big homes to be of importance. And to those of you who cannot afford the big home, even though you say you hate them, your so contempt within your own life, and with your own home, why the hek do you care.

People today are more nosy then ever, aren't they.
As I said in an earlier post, I am quite content with my small condo. It suits me and my life, but I live next to areas that have beautiful large homes. Some are older, well-kept homes more than 100 years old, some are parts of horse farms, some are newer mansions near the ocean. I love to look at them, and I've lived long enough to learn not to be envious of what other people have materialistically.

As with any group, no one should assume something about another because of outward appearances. Just because someone owns a large house does not automatically mean that they are materialistic, shallow people. People are individuals and have to be taken as such.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
nothing wrong w/ wanting a large home, some ppl are entertainers and have alot of company, but I do have a problem w/ those who want to own a huge home but then only them(as in one person) would be living there. Or those who want a house w/ 7 bedrooms but then have two children. That's just five rooms in that house that you will never even use.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
I don't get all the fuss over square footage. To me, location is MUCH more important. I would rather live in a top notch town with excellent schools and amenities in a medium sized house than a 7000 sq foot house in the middle of nowhere where you have to drive just to go to the library (if they even have one).

Location, location, location!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because this planet has limited resources and to unnecessarily waste them puts everyone at risk in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies