Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Mu guesds is itsd something to do with humns. Just as some dream of a sports or other car that will take them dw3n the street the same as another cheaper car;or a dress tha will cover themj the same as blue jeans;orany other human want really. people want and desire different things really.
Is this a new language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's a power trip for women. Guys in general don't want big houses unless they're rich and only then for status as long as there is someone to clean it up. Guys just want a sofa with a big TV in front and access to the refridgerator. It's their mates who want the formal dining room, sun room, tiled patio with pool and a flower garden out on the south side. Laundry room, walk in closets with built in shoe rack for 50 pr. and a patio off the master bedroom with seperate sinks in the master bathroom. If guys were left to their own devices, they would be happy in a cave with a sofa, TV and a fridge. Pee out the back door and a shower stall will do nicely for most. It's the women who want the McMansions.

Just described my home. Although I can very well afford something much larger, I don't need it or want it. Although I do have a scary large TV with surround sound, subs, wall padding, etc. And I actually do pee off my porch I'd rather spend my money on toys and vacations.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Let me try to bring this back on point. Smaller homes consume less resources, allow people to spend less time on maintenance/yardwork, are cheaper (and thus allow for more savings and greater financial freedom). Larger homes are...well...money pits. In times where the average american family's savings account have less than $9,000 and where homelessness and unemployment are skyrocketing, owning a smaller home affords more time, money and effort to worthy causes.
You clearly live in some sort of bubble because
A) By your own admission you looked at numerous larger homes (4br), but decided not to purchase one of these.. It was only after you chose to buy a smaller home that you suddenly came to this understanding that larger homes are bad..
B) Just because a home is larger, it doesnt equate to a money pit. Many larger homes consume less resources than smaller ones because the size makes it cost effective to go to heating sources like geothermal..
C) The average savings in america has nothing to do with the topic of a larger home, unless you can somehow prove that people who live in larger homes have less than $9K.. You cant make this assumption..
D) Homelessness and unemployment has nothing to do with people living in larger homes. In fact just the opposite. Larger homes usually have people come in to clean, thereby increasing employment. We can discuss the quality of those jobs, but there is no doubt they exist..
E) its been proven numerous times that Republicans donate more time and money to non profits..

Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I could afford a much bigger house, too...bigger than the 4600 square feet I have...does that mean I am as awesome as you are? Because I didn't buy AS BIG as I could?
According to some of these posters, they would have much rather I bought another 2,000 sf home, and then bought a warehouse, with office space, doubling my energy consumption, with me then needing a larger vehicle to drive back and forth to the office, thereby increasing my gas consumption.. ooh and of course since it would have to be a warehouse, heated of course, the energy consumption consumed by an inefficient warehouse would be far better than a home..

Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've always thought the idea of a 'media room' was ridiculous, although I have quite a few friends that couldn't live without them. I have my tv in my living room and I'm happy... tvs are not allowed in the bedroom at my house.
A media room makes a tv available for the kids to be playing video games on the 10 foot tv, while we still maintain the livingroom.. I dont want to give up my living area to 10 neighborhood kids who all come over to play, nor should I...

Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
My house was really small for a very long time. Really small. Now I am looking for a much larger place as I need room for my inventing to take place. Also I am trying to figure out a revenue stream as it takes money to make money.
Thats exactly what happened with us. When I had 2 office desks in my livingroom, and 18 wheelers pulling up dropping off pallets of products that needed shipped, within 48 hours, I knew a small home wasnt a very good option if I was to continue growing my business.. When I started to rent storage space, which costs more than a larger home with a garage, I knew a larger home made much more economic sense..
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Have a really good holiday season
You as well.. I wont have one as profitable.. I mean good as the one I had 2 years ago where we were processing 30,000 orders a week, but the bills are paid and I'm rebuilding the company back up to where it was prior to my broke wrist days.. Jan starts my new year, and by next December I plan to be doing the same if not more than previous sales.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A media room makes a tv available for the kids to be playing video games on the 10 foot tv, while we still maintain the livingroom.. I dont want to give up my living area to 10 neighborhood kids who all come over to play, nor should I...
I would never own a 10 ft tv, so an entire room dedicated to it wouldn't even pop up on my radar.

Besides, once you play Mario Kart inside an aircraft hangar with a professional projector, sound system and 2 story tall screen, tiny home theaters kind of lose their charm

Old 12-20-2010, 04:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Makes sense.

I wouldn't mind owning a big (8,000+ sq. ft.) house if I could afford it.

Each room would have a theme... a game room, a Halloween room, a home theater room, a worship/chapel room, a gym/exercise room, etc. (I do have a Halloween room already, though.)

I also like to collect things so I require a house with a lot of storage space.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
(I do have a Halloween room already, though.)
OMG that is freaking awesome!!! LOVE it!

Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
I personally think it's all up to the person, if a person wants a large house and can afford it then they should have it and on the other hand if a person wants a large house but can't afford it then be happy with what you have.
i'm not a big house guy but thats just me, I spend my time away from home as much as possible enjoying the outdoors, I could live in a tent and be happy My wife may not agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies