Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

So what is an oversized house built BEFORE 1990 called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So what is an oversized house built BEFORE 1990 called?
Dude, you are misunderstanding me. I typically do not like any house built before 1970, large or small. There are exceptions of course.

Were I to live in a huge Victorian circa 1920, I would be pretty psyched. McMansion built 3 years ago? Ain't gonna happen.

One more time:

My preference, nothing more. If you live in some large house built 10 years ago and like it, more power to you. To each his own. You would probably think my tastes forged from madness.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Just a question.
It's mostly brainwashing from TV. We're sold with this idea that owning a big house will make us happy, blah, blah, blah.

The reality is that once you have decent food to eat, clean water to drink and a basic roof over your head, your happiness is an inside job.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what's a large house???

the average turn of the century 1900 victorian was 3000-4000sf

I have a 1930's average center hall 4 square colonial..its 4300sf

so what do you mean by large??
That may be true, but houshold size was much larger in 1900 than it is today.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Well whenever anyone mentions "excessively big house" the only house that comes to mind for me is the behemoth of excess which is the Spelling Manor. For the not so paltry sum of $150,000,000.00 all of this can be yours.

RE/MAX REAL ESTATE CONSULTANTS Has California Homes Listed Online

I would never want to live in a home this large. Ever. There are rooms you never need to visit the entire time you live there.

Seriously? Who needs all of this? Maybe it would come in handy for a family of very wealthy Mormons.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That may be true, but houshold size was much larger in 1900 than it is today.
Yes, it was.

The old farmhouse we remolded housed a family of 18.

Yep, 16 kids.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Just a question.
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the house. some guys want a wood shop in the basement, a family room, entertainment room with a pool table, and they have four or more children.

Some people, like me, host the family get togethers, and need enough room for their guests to mingle and do fun things together.

I personally bought a home with an extra bedroom for guests to use when they spend the night, instead of sending them off to a hotel.

I'm sure some use their home as their office, or operate a business out of.

Some people may love large breed dogs and want two acres for them to romp around in.

Some people see a big home as an investment, to hand down to their children.

I'm sure the envious, ever bitter, class warfare, liberal types will come up with all manner of mean things to say about people that own a large home and lot.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Well whenever anyone mentions "excessively big house" the only house that comes to mind for me is the behemoth of excess which is the Spelling Manor. For the not so paltry sum of $150,000,000.00 all of this can be yours.

I would never want to live in a home this large. Ever. There are rooms you never need to visit the entire time you live there.

Seriously? Who needs all of this? Maybe it would come in handy for a family of very wealthy Mormons.
That is not a home, its an estate. did you every see the movie "Fun with Dick and Jane", and how Jim Carey stumbled over how to describe his boss' home?

I agree with you, because I cannot fathom a use for this home, unless I were Hugh Hefner, and I wanted each of my bunnies to have her own room.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

We drilled a well last summer for a big house like this. It even had a indoor pool and four lane bowling alley.

It was the worst job I have ever been on.

Had to go to a pre-construction meeting.

All I heard was a lot of whining about the cost. Then whining about the bill.

I would NEVER drill for these people.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I, and several others on this thread, have responded to you but you refuse to hear the message.

Your 'claims' of what YOU THINK people need or do not need are not up for discussion. It is your opinion. Period.

But since you keep insisting I join in your type of discussion, here it goes: I think it is kinda sad that you cram a family of three into a 950 sf home. There is no room to live or breath. You probably have very little, if any, yard and no ability to grow plants and garden. You probably have no room to entertain family and friends. Heaven forbid you have a pet! And it doesn't matter whether you want or need to live in such a small house - you do, so I am posting my opinion as you keep doing to me and other's living in bigger homes. There - does that make you feel better? The 'taste' of you own medecine? You CHOOSE to live in a home that suits your needs and wants. Should I really be commenting on that - NO.

I want AND need to live in a bigger house. YOU are NOT to judge or tell me what I need. That is just shallow and pathetic.

Lexus? Luxury and not a need? Again, your opinion. I drive a landrover - luxury maybe, but I NEED it to tow my horse. Not for you to judge just because that might not be a need of yours.

Kobe beef? I LOVE it! Buy and eat it as much as possible. Need or want? Doesn't matter. It is MY choice. You make your own choices.

DO you finally get the point? Live your life in the way that suits you best and makes you happy - enjoy your needs and wants - and stop trying to be the know it all for what everyone else should need....or want!
I'm going to say this again, because this silly bickering is getting ridiculous. The poster is disagreeing with your definition of need, it makes total sense, needs are basic, food, water, shelter, anything else is a want. Our lives, if we are on this site are luxuries, think about it instead of getting defensive. It is a luxury, no one "needs" a huge house, no one even "needs" a small house. All we really need is one room with enough space to protect our families from the elements, enough heat to stay warm, and enough food/water to eat, everything else is a luxury and in truth a waste of resources. I waste LOTS of resources in my life, to deny it would be lie. I have a right to that in our free country and others have the right to question whether this is a good idea for the planet and future generations. No one is wrong if they would just listen to each other! Does anyone realize how lucky we are to even be able to have this argument? Try living in Haiti for awhile, many of those people have actual NEEDS, like clean water.

Last edited by detshen; 12-21-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies