Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Makes sense.

I wouldn't mind owning a big (8,000+ sq. ft.) house if I could afford it.

Each room would have a theme... a game room, a Halloween room, a home theater room, a worship/chapel room, a gym/exercise room, etc. (I do have a Halloween room already, though.)

I also like to collect things so I require a house with a lot of storage space.
And here I am thinking I was special cause I had my own library..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:09 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,351 times
I own a large home compared to most of the LA area, but it's much smaller than most of the new developments away from the coasts. I don't have kids so it's more than enough space for the wife, dog & I.

That said, I don't understand America's love with McMansions. I just haven't seen that many new neighborhoods in the suburbs that are pleasing to look at from an architechtual standpoint.

Give me a smaller Frank Lloyd Wright style house any day over a giant cookie cutter.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And here I am thinking I was special cause I had my own library..
I forgot a library! Add that to my list. I can probably think of a few more themes for rooms. Wait, I just did... a '50s style diner would be in one room. And an indoor bowling alley.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
I thought of another theme for a room... an 1880s-style saloon.

Instead of just adding more I'll make a complete list soon.

This is why I would have a very large house (if I could afford it)... I have big ideas and high standards.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM

472 posts, read 855,084 times
PGH, sorry, don't mean to offend you, but your house looks rather odd. Like somebody built three totally different houses and scooted them up against each other. However, it seems to serve your individual purposes but I can agree that you will have a heck of a time trying to unload it.

We sold our 3200 sq ft house two years ago (got out of the mini-Mcmansion while the getting out was still good). We chose a smaller 2000 sq ft house, and while I could sometimes "use" a bit more space, I have to question anyone (not you in particular) who says *we must* or *we need* at least 3000 + sq feet of space. We are a family of four.

After all, the Duggars raised at least 13 of their kids in a small 1500 sq feet house, so I don't think for one second that it can't be done. If the owners of these huge McMansions lost their jobs and couldn't pay the mortgage, I guarantee you they would learn to live in less. Real quick.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I own a large home compared to most of the LA area, but it's much smaller than most of the new developments away from the coasts. I don't have kids so it's more than enough space for the wife, dog & I.

That said, I don't understand America's love with McMansions. I just haven't seen that many new neighborhoods in the suburbs that are pleasing to look at from an architechtual standpoint.

Give me a smaller Frank Lloyd Wright style house any day over a giant cookie cutter.
I agree. So many of those "Mc Mansions" appear gaudy and of poor quality. I prefer, and own, a sensible, well built, well designed, but not huge home and I love it! I lived in a huge home when I was married and spent all of my free time cleaning and maintaining it. Never again!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's a power trip for women. Guys in general don't want big houses unless they're rich and only then for status as long as there is someone to clean it up. Guys just want a sofa with a big TV in front and access to the refridgerator. It's their mates who want the formal dining room, sun room, tiled patio with pool and a flower garden out on the south side. Laundry room, walk in closets with built in shoe rack for 50 pr. and a patio off the master bedroom with seperate sinks in the master bathroom. If guys were left to their own devices, they would be happy in a cave with a sofa, TV and a fridge. Pee out the back door and a shower stall will do nicely for most. It's the women who want the McMansions.
I do not know any women who want Mcmansions, blech! those things are hideous and tacky. Women want houses that look nice and well cared for, I don't know any women who dream about size, that's a guy thing in my experience.

I adore my aprox. 2000 sf (not including the finished parts of the basement my guy has dibs on, that's probably around 500-700sf) bungalow, every room has been exquisitely remodeled to be modern, but classic and suits it's 1940s charm perfectly. I don't like lots of unused space, and I'm the opposite of a hoarder, I get rid of as much stuff as possible. Quality is much more important than quantity to me. I prefer smaller houses where all the space is lived in, even this feels somewhat big in the winter when it's just the two of us. My neighborhood is professional, most people here could afford a bigger house somewhere else, but prefer the beautiful smaller homes and gorgeous tree lined streets here. Energy conservation, recycling etc. are also a priority here.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Have you ever heard the saying "being the Joneses?"
Yep, I suspect that's what drives most of it. The 'keeping up with the Joneses" game is one not worth playing.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yep, I suspect that's what drives most of it. The 'keeping up with the Joneses" game is one not worth playing.

I disagree. I think it is more the 'I am so jealous of anyone whom has more than me' game that propels most of the comments from smaller home owners on this post.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
People have different sized homes for different reasons. Need is dependent on personal and business requirements for such a home and can not be measured with a "one size fits all" application. Some have a priority for entertaining due to business and the like and so contain multiple rooms of sufficient size for handling dining, visiting, cooking, etc... without hindering the guests.

Some have multiple bedrooms because they have guests over frequently and the like.

The point is, you have no idea what a person needs speaking in such a general manner.

You think you do because you have established your priority based on resource consumption and so this dictates all other issues. It means you will "deal" with inconveniences, impractical use, etc... because you think that is far more important and a "need" than that of the solutions that would violate that priority.

It is fine that you have an opinion, you are welcome to it, but it would be the height of ignorance and arrogance to assume that because people do not think like you, prioritize as you do that somehow they are "wrong". This issue is subject to each individuals requirements and you are not qualified, nor authorized to establish what each person needs.
Well said!

It is amazing to me to see the 'little man...ooopps, I mean home syndrome' radiating throughout this thread.

Be happy with what you have and don't judge what you others have. In other words - get your own life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies