Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Did you read what I wrote?

I am in a position to financially afford a house three times the size of the one I currently own. (And before I bought my 2br/1ba home, I walked through several 4br/3ba houses). My mortgage is well less than half of what I can afford.

Trust me on this, I am far from jealous. When you want to have an adult conversation about the ideological and societal benefits of smaller homes (which is to me, the heart of the issue), let me know, until then, stay quiet and let the rest of us talk. OK champ?
Watch yourself 'big boy' - you are not so large and in charge as you think!

I seriously doubt you are in a position to own a larger home, but if you say so, fine. What is not 'adult' about saying each person can determine what they want and need in a home - and wants and needs do not have to be exclusive of each other? That is what I am saying.

You are the one being childish thinking you have the right to put down people living in big houses. I'm sorry, who left you the king hat to judge and determine what others need/want? I am a little confused at your arrogance.

Additionally, do not ever tell me to stay quiet. Again, you arrogance in thinking you can judge and tell others what to do astounds me. Some people call it 'little man syndrome'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Watch yourself 'big boy' - you are not so large and in charge as you think!

I seriously doubt you are in a position to own a larger home, but if you say so, fine. What is not 'adult' about saying each person can determine what they want and need in a home - and wants and needs do not have to be exclusive of each other? That is what I am saying.

You are the one being childish thinking you have the right to put down people living in big houses. I'm sorry, who left you the king hat to judge and determine what others need/want? I am a little confused at your arrogance.

Additionally, do not ever tell me to stay quiet. Again, you arrogance in thinking you can judge and tell others what to do astounds me. Some people call it 'little man syndrome'.
Thank you for your continued insults. My monthly mortgage payment is currently 10.7% of my monthly pay. The only other debt I have is a car loan and some small student loans (although my student loans are currently 2.8%, so there is no way I am paying more than the minimums on them!). My current total debt payments (home, car, student loans) is 18.2% of my income. You judge for yourself if I could afford a larger home.

Let me try to bring this back on point. Smaller homes consume less resources, allow people to spend less time on maintenance/yardwork, are cheaper (and thus allow for more savings and greater financial freedom). Larger homes are...well...money pits. In times where the average american family's savings account have less than $9,000 and where homelessness and unemployment are skyrocketing, owning a smaller home affords more time, money and effort to worthy causes.

That is the crux of my argument for smaller homes. Do you disagree? I look forward to your comments. Hopefully we can steer this back towards a decent discussion.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I could afford a much bigger house, too...bigger than the 4600 square feet I have...does that mean I am as awesome as you are? Because I didn't buy AS BIG as I could?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Thank you for your continued insults. My monthly mortgage payment is currently 10.7% of my monthly pay. The only other debt I have is a car loan and some small student loans (although my student loans are currently 2.8%, so there is no way I am paying more than the minimums on them!). My current total debt payments (home, car, student loans) is 18.2% of my income. You judge for yourself if I could afford a larger home.

Let me try to bring this back on point. Smaller homes consume less resources, allow people to spend less time on maintenance/yardwork, are cheaper (and thus allow for more savings and greater financial freedom). Larger homes are...well...money pits. In times where the average american family's savings account have less than $9,000 and where homelessness and unemployment are skyrocketing, owning a smaller home affords more time, money and effort to worthy causes.

That is the crux of my argument for smaller homes. Do you disagree? I look forward to your comments. Hopefully we can steer this back towards a decent discussion.
Right back to you for the 'thank you' for YOUR continued insults.

With all due respect, I really do not want to know what your income and debt ratios are. That is your business and not mine. How you choose to live your life is your trip to take. I hope everyone has a great one and I hope to not judge anyone.

You may have some valid points in your arguement for smaller homes - but those points are not valid for everyone - they are certainly what you stand by for yourself and that is great.

My 'large' home is not a money pit to me at all. I am also very happy with my savings account!!! In regards to yardwork and maitenance - I enjoy gardening and yard work. That is something I do for relaxation and something I have passed on to my child. Since I have a bigger yard, I have more space in which to do this. You are judging me for that and calling it bad? That is where I have a problem with you.

I have a problem with you thinking you have the right to deem what people do with their time in order to be more 'worthy' in your eyes. If you want a smaller house so you can spend more free time with charitable causes, good for you. I prefer to spend my time in a different manner. Neither is right nor wrong.

I do not judge you for your valid reasoning on owning a smaller house. Don't judge me for my valid reasons for owning a larger one. That is the only concept that needs to prevail in order to have a decent, educated conversation.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Right back to you for the 'thank you' for YOUR continued insults.

With all due respect, I really do not want to know what your income and debt ratios are. That is your business and not mine. How you choose to live your life is your trip to take. I hope everyone has a great one and I hope to not judge anyone.

You may have some valid points in your arguement for smaller homes - but those points are not valid for everyone - they are certainly what you stand by for yourself and that is great.

My 'large' home is not a money pit to me at all. I am also very happy with my savings account!!! In regards to yardwork and maitenance - I enjoy gardening and yard work. That is something I do for relaxation and something I have passed on to my child. Since I have a bigger yard, I have more space in which to do this. You are judging me for that and calling it bad? That is where I have a problem with you.

I have a problem with you thinking you have the right to deem what people do with their time in order to be more 'worthy' in your eyes. If you want a smaller house so you can spend more free time with charitable causes, good for you. I prefer to spend my time in a different manner. Neither is right nor wrong.

I do not judge you for your valid reasoning on owning a smaller house. Don't judge me for my valid reasons for owning a larger one. That is the only concept that needs to prevail in order to have a decent, educated conversation.
I apologize for any judgement I may have shown in my previous posts. It was uncalled for and unhelpful in for the sake of this discussion. I am not saying (and have never said) that my opinion is the end-all right answer to this thread. (how ridiculous would that be?) I am merely saying that I think larger houses are bought not out of need, but out of a want. They are a luxury. I also am saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as people realize it is a luxury. For example, I enjoy going out to eat, but I also realize that is is a luxury.

I am saying that, to me, a better use of time and money is charity and working for my community, rather than spending time and money on home renovations, cleaning and yardwork.

Again - just my opinion. I am not judging you for owning a larger home. I merely was disagreeing with the opinion that a larger home is a need. Does that make sense?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Mu guesds is itsd something to do with humns. Just as some dream of a sports or other car that will take them dw3n the street the same as another cheaper car;or a dress tha will cover themj the same as blue jeans;orany other human want really. people want and desire different things really.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,245 times
Quote:
I apologize for any judgement I may have shown in my previous posts. It was uncalled for and unhelpful in for the sake of this discussion. I am not saying (and have never said) that my opinion is the end-all right answer to this thread. (how ridiculous would that be?) I am merely saying that I think larger houses are bought not out of need, but out of a want. They are a luxury. I also am saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as people realize it is a luxury. For example, I enjoy going out to eat, but I also realize that is is a luxury.

I am saying that, to me, a better use of time and money is charity and working for my community, rather than spending time and money on home renovations, cleaning and yardwork.

Again - just my opinion. I am not judging you for owning a larger home. I merely was disagreeing with the opinion that a larger home is a need. Does that make sense?
I totally get you. It's all about priorities and what you value.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
But having a big house doesn't mean you are not donating to charity or putting a ton into your savings account or that you spend hours on yard work or cleaning (we pay people to do that - so we actually employ other people)...

We don't like going out. You can't imagine how much money you save if you never go out. I really only enjoy going out on very special occasions to very specific places. My home IS my castle...I am entirely too overstimulated at work, so I enjoy the peace, quiet, nice gardens...

Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Mu guesds is itsd something to do with humns. Just as some dream of a sports or other car that will take them dw3n the street the same as another cheaper car;or a dress tha will cover themj the same as blue jeans;orany other human want really. people want and desire different things really.
Yep....simple as that!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
People have different sized homes for different reasons. Need is dependent on personal and business requirements for such a home and can not be measured with a "one size fits all" application. Some have a priority for entertaining due to business and the like and so contain multiple rooms of sufficient size for handling dining, visiting, cooking, etc... without hindering the guests.

Some have multiple bedrooms because they have guests over frequently and the like.

The point is, you have no idea what a person needs speaking in such a general manner.

You think you do because you have established your priority based on resource consumption and so this dictates all other issues. It means you will "deal" with inconveniences, impractical use, etc... because you think that is far more important and a "need" than that of the solutions that would violate that priority.

It is fine that you have an opinion, you are welcome to it, but it would be the height of ignorance and arrogance to assume that because people do not think like you, prioritize as you do that somehow they are "wrong". This issue is subject to each individuals requirements and you are not qualified, nor authorized to establish what each person needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies